Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Mastropiero

Localization

57 posts in this topic

that quite literally sums up why i am not that good at swedish.

also, on an unrelated sidenote. Google translate finds that the phrase "undskyld mange gange" translates to "Ledsen en hel del promenader"....??

I have no idea about what undskyld mange gange means, except if it means innocent several times? Or something similar? Ledsen en hel del promenader means "sad a lot of walks" (as in, unhappy + a lot of + walk (the substantive, not the verb).

The Italian is the same thing, because it's a Latin language and you can guess how much hard is learning it :). It has a lot of exceptions and a lot of other small things that can ruin a whole phrase. It's like programming with a veery difficult language, but the other person can understand even if there are some errors. Luckily.

Many long conversations can be sustained by an Italian and a Spanish, both talking in his own language and both understanding each other. I have done it with my italian cousins.

So, where do I find internal tiles' names? Or do I start from translating the wiki?

Many long conversations can be sustained by an Italian and a Spanish, both talking in his own language and both understanding each other. I have done it with my italian cousins.

Yes, true because Italians can understand easily most of the Spanish phrases and viceversa. The two languages are very similar.

So, I've fiddled with files for a bit. Basically, without hooks provided by bioxx all we can do is change text messages "Spawn entity.bear.name" and "<player> killed by entity.bear.name" to something more appropriate, like "Spawn Bear", as you can see on this picture, I've done it in Russian version:

Posted Image

All other things seem to be getting their names from somewhere inside the code, and even if they aren't defined by damage like stone types do, I can't change their names.

Come on, beloved devs, make it happen. I understand that this requires for you to pretty much change through a lot of code, but it's worth it in my books.

so, maybe we could start from making official separate non-english wikizz? I would like to participate in creating russian wiki.

I don't see a reason not to. So, I think I will be translating things and putting it on hold for now.

Yes, true because Italians can understand easily most of the Spanish phrases and viceversa. The two languages are very similar.

My understanding of the tongue is minimal, but it is interesting to note that modern Italian retains greater than 80% lexical similarity with both Spanish and Portuguese. Pronunciation and grammar rules make the spoken languages somewhat different, but on paper, the three are almost dialects of each other instead of proper languages.

I think it would be neat if you had to "identify" item types by naming them rather than the game telling you what it is.

I think it would be neat if you had to "identify" item types by naming them rather than the game telling you what it is.

== Good bye, wiki, rest in piece.

And also... how would that work in SMP? Everyone has a different name for the same thing, the first that takes the item decides, or what?

And also... how would that work in SMP? Everyone has a different name for the same thing, the first that takes the item decides, or what?

I think he is talking about meta game: the game will not tell you what that item is, you must figure it out.

Right. So, how many of you can tell apart shale rock and andesite rock item in the game? Chalk rock and Granite or marble?

I understand that it's texture pack problem, but what is it with the urge to confuse the player anyway?

== Good bye, wiki, rest in piece.

Did you see The Expendables 2?

Did you see The Expendables 2?

No, I haven't. What's up with it? That was one of those one-liners?

Yeah, a man said this. I think at the begin of the film if I'm right.

Rest in pieces!

Rest in pieces!

That has nothing to do with puny Expendables.

There's at least one square-headed blonde guy who trademarked this line long before Expendables was a thing.

I could provide assistance in translating into Russian.

Так что, transcengopher, если нужно помочь с переводом или текстом для вики, включая подходящие геологические описания, пишите в ICQ и Скайп, указанные в профиле. Буду рад помочь.

I could provide assistance in translating into Russian.

Так что, transcengopher, если нужно помочь с переводом или текстом для вики, включая подходящие геологические описания, пишите в ICQ и Скайп, указанные в профиле. Буду рад помочь.

Oh, fine.

Просто можно поделить количество статей на количество заинтересованных человек. Ну и в скайп напишу, да. Сперва только с сессией доразберусь, бешеное время сейчас.

Random english text.

Надо бы воззвать к власть имущим, чтоб сделать эту викию официально и потихоньку заполнять ее, хотя бы в тестовом режиме. Это будет куда удобней чем в скайпе перекидываться. Ну и да, как уже говорил, я тоже буду рад помочь.

Random english text.

Надо бы воззвать к власть имущим, чтоб сделать эту викию официально и потихоньку заполнять ее, хотя бы в тестовом режиме. Это будет куда удобней чем в скайпе перекидываться. Ну и да, как уже говорил, я тоже буду рад помочь.

More random English text

Будет иметь большое значение подбор понятий. Нужно будет согласовать и обговорить "словарь", чтоб не было неувязок. Например, claystone по-правильному - аргиллит, при этом mudstone - тоже аргиллит. Или shale - сланец, при этом chert - тоже сланец. Сланцами же являются schist и slate. Или siltstone, который можно называть хоть алеврит, хоть алевролит, и то и другое по уму верно. Опять же для примера вношу предложение переводить claystone как глинистый аргиллит, а mudstone - как песчаный аргиллит. Соответственно shale - глинистый сланец, chert - кремнистый сланец, schist - кристаллический сланец, а slate - пепельный или аспидный сланец. Ну а siltstone - все-таки алевролит, хотя как может быть алевролит, когда в игре нет алеврита - непонятно. Ну в общем вы понимаете, без такого "словаря" могут возникнуть неувязки.

Вообще, в принципе, будут проблемы с длинными называниями. В английском и русском достаточно слов, переводимых между языками чуть ли не целыми предложениями. Или вот как тот же firestarter, который и зажигалкой назвать коряво будет, и другого подходящего слова на русском почти не найти.

В общем, я в ближайшее время пройдусь по файлу с опциями и переведу названия блоков/предметов, потом смогу выложить файл на критику, и обсудим неточности перевода.