Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Mephistos_chan

Shears

38 posts in this topic

I want to re open a suggestion that has already been made (use of search function, go me) about shears. original topic here

As is noted, killing sheep is a little extreme and quickly wipes out a local population.

I think we need bronze shears, they did exist and would fit well with TFC's theme, link on shears/ scissors here http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/529084/scissors

These shears could represent the first step on to textiles production path that would include dyes, weaving and even armour, link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambeson

And if the temperature/ seasonal effects are implemented there will be a mechanic in place to manufacture clothing.

Finally, if these mechanics are implemented then killing a sheep should yield either a fleece or a woolly skin.

You guys remember when you punched sheep?

I'm thinking that even the need of metal is too much. You should be able to shear a sheep with a stone tool, but it would damage the sheep. Also, it should take 9-10 clicks, and the sheep should run away from you during the attempt.

I'm thinking that even the need of metal is too much. You should be able to shear a sheep with a stone tool, but it would damage the sheep. Also, it should take 9-10 clicks, and the sheep should run away from you during the attempt.

ummmmmm.....no

trying to scrape the wool off a sheep with a sharpened peice of stone really is not going to accomplish much of anything besides being horribly painful to the sheep, and maybe you might get a few tufts of bloodified wool...

ummmmmm.....no

trying to scrape the wool off a sheep with a sharpened peice of stone really is not going to accomplish much of anything besides being horribly painful to the sheep, and maybe you might get a few tufts of bloodified wool...

Well, when you describe it like that...

Okay, then. The rest of it.

well, not like srgnoodles would care about bloody tufts of wool, their just so hard to get out of your mouth after sucking em clean :D btw, srg, ima derail it with this link :Dhttp://www.newground...o/listen/515856

AND LET THE DERAILS COMMENCE!!!

muahahahahahaha

ahh i remembger the god old days, when derails happened almost daily and lasted for several pages of a thread. Most did not survive

it was the Crysyntar, the master of all four Sections of the Forum, that restored order to the chaos, finally rooting out the evils of derail once and for all, but some....some remained...lurking in the dark....waiting for their chance to get up and reindulge themselves...in the art of derailing.

it was the Crysyntar, the master of all four Sections of the Forum, that restored order to the chaos, finally rooting out the evils of derail once and for all, but some....some remained...lurking in the dark....waiting for their chance to get up and reindulge themselves...in the art of derailing.

...but there is one they fear, in there toungue Crysynkin.... forumborn! THIS THREAD'S LOCKED!!!

dah-dah-dahhhhhhhh dah-dah-dahhhhh dah-dah-dahhhhhh duh-duh-duh du-du-duhh du-duduh dudu-duh-duh-duhd-duhhh.

There would probably be a lot more derails 'round here if i was actively working on making 'em, but ever since that warning level thing was brought up, i only rarely feel like starting anything... Don't wanna get banned from here, i like this place :/

Where is your etiquette? Don't derail a post while it is still being discussed!

Where is your etiquette? Don't derail a post while it is still being discussed!

etiquitte...this thing you mention....it does not apply in any way to derails

As a Welshman I'd just like to say it's very hard to pull a couple of handfuls of wool off a sheep's back, no matter how hard it bucks and you hold on. Don't ask me how I know.

As a Welshman I'd just like to say it's very hard to pull a couple of handfuls of wool off a sheep's back, no matter how hard it bucks and you hold on. Don't ask me how I know.

ghaaa what are you doing? don't try to re-rail this thread!

What would solve this is if you could make shears out of any of the metals but every tier below iron would have less uses and give you less wool. lower tier shears could also cause the sheeps to grow their fur back slower.

and give you less wool. lower tier shears could also cause the sheeps to grow their fur back slower.

Here's where i can't agree with you, 'cause it doesn't make that much sense... Let me show you here:

Two sheeps have grown the exact same amount of wool. You use wrought iron shears with the first one, and you get 3 blocks of wool: now the sheep has no fur left. With the second one, you use bismuth shears, and you get only 1 block of wool. Where are the other 2? they can't dissapear, and the shears couldn't possibly ruin all that wool, could 'em? So they would, then, be still on the sheep. But that sheep, as you used shears on it, has no fur left (visible at least); what's more, it takes longer for that sheep to grow it's fur back, even though it technically still had most of it's fur... Yeah, that's surely the solution, unbelievability.

From my point of view, shears should be treated pretty much like most other tools are: The better the metal, the higher durability, and the lower the time it takes for the tool to perform one action. In short, make shearing sheeps/cutting plants with the shears not instantaneous, make it take some time; as i said, the better the metal, the shorter this time is. So, with bismuth shears, as they are duller than the wrought iron ones, it takes longer to take all the wool out of the sheep. Much simpler, believability-friendly.

From my point of view, shears should be treated pretty much like most other tools are: The better the metal, the higher durability, and the lower the time it takes for the tool to perform one action. In short, make shearing sheeps/cutting plants with the shears not instantaneous, make it take some time; as i said, the better the metal, the shorter this time is. So, with bismuth shears, as they are duller than the wrought iron ones, it takes longer to take all the wool out of the sheep. Much simpler, believability-friendly.

Wow, I just had an image of trying to keep your crosshairs on a bucking sheep for 5 seconds in order to shear it. Amazing :P

That's the power of a flamboyantly dangerous greek reptilian multiheaded creature's venom. It's also likely for you to see colours you have never seen before while under it's effects... and to die, but i wouldn't worry 'bout that :3

That's the power of a flamboyantly dangerous greek reptilian multiheaded creature's venom. It's also likely for you to see colours you have never seen before while under it's effects... and to die, but i wouldn't worry 'bout that :3

as in Colors....Out of Space?

as in Colors....Out of Space?

Wanna see by yourself? the first bite is free ;)

/multiheaded_drug_dealer

Wanna see by yourself? the first bite is free ;)

/multiheaded_drug_dealer

Hydra Venom: one of the many strange things they sell on the Brown Market, where the things are slightly less illegal and slightly more wierd

I wouldn't be so sure 'bout that "less ilegal" thing, if normal people knew 'bout the stuff you can find in the brown market, there would probably be laws against those products...

I wouldn't be so sure 'bout that "less ilegal" thing, if normal people knew 'bout the stuff you can find in the brown market, there would probably be laws against those products...

wait what? -hides trenchcoat full of expired grocery coupons-