Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drudge

Punching Trees

18 posts in this topic

... should deal damage to the player.

Easy: Lose 1 heart when block "breaks" -- and print a message on screen.

Normal: Lose 1/2 heart per punch.

Hard/Hardcore: Lose 1 heart per punch.

This would need a catch-all which excludes the proper tools (so you can't punch with Dirt and not take damage).

i would like to extend it to, punching "meaning if you punch it and "fail" to break it", punching stone should do the same, just for kicks.

If it's extended to Stone as well, then I hope I never get stuck in a cave-in and break my pickaxe. :P

You the LPers who poke things to draw attention to them dont you :)

Honestly, I don't see this feature as being particularly essential, lol. But maybe it has its place...

If it's extended to Stone as well, then I hope I never get stuck in a cave-in and break my pickaxe. :P

Now you mention it breaking stone is even harder than wood so in my opinion it should be extended to stone as well and the scenario you mentioned is down to poor planing of the player which would be cruel but also make an interesting risk to mining. After all when you spawn (Death due to starvation) you will go to a bed or spawn point anyway so the punishment isn't as bad as being eternal entombed which is what I imagined when I read your comment.

Now you mention it breaking stone is even harder than wood so in my opinion it should be extended to stone as well and the scenario you mentioned is down to poor planing of the player which would be cruel but also make an interesting risk to mining. After all when you spawn (Death due to starvation) you will go to a bed or spawn point anyway so the punishment isn't as bad as being eternal entombed which is what I imagined when I read your comment.

... "eternally entomed" ... shivers...

i agree, caveins are as of right now just a hassle, they kill your ores and they drop unnamed cobble so as it stands it need a touch up. It would make mining feel like i need the vertical/horizontal supports. cause as of now, as long as i dig from the top down, i wont get a cave in. it should be a little more devastating imo

People punch doors, hell ive watch someone punch concrete. It doesnt necessarily hurt them. Players already dont receive any resources when trying to break a tree trunk with slappers, why add MORE to that? There's already no incentive to do so.

People punch doors, hell ive watch someone punch concrete. It doesnt necessarily hurt them. Players already dont receive any resources when trying to break a tree trunk with slappers, why add MORE to that? There's already no incentive to do so.

I agree with not adding the damage but do think that a lot of the blocks that are currently breakable by hand should not be.

eg: stone, cobble and if logs cant be broken why should it make sense for planks to be broken.

I agree with not adding the damage but do think that a lot of the blocks that are currently breakable by hand should not be.

eg: stone, cobble and if logs cant be broken why should it make sense for planks to be broken.

I agree. The only possible blocks I can see being harvestable by punching would be dirt or gravel. The others are pretty absurd. Planks are a maybe, as I've seen wooden planks pulled up just by brute force alone.

unless your playing on hardcore you would be forever stuck in a cavein or maybe if you fell cause you have no way of making to tools to mine nor will you die from lack of hunger

unless your playing on hardcore you would be forever stuck in a cavein or maybe if you fell cause you have no way of making to tools to mine nor will you die from lack of hunger

The only way you would be stuck is on peaceful but you can change the difficulty anyway. In regards to death due to not being able to escape, I think it would be an interesting challenge to make sure you have enough tools and support the sealing properly.

So the result would be supports are more useful and there is an actual risk to greedily digging to deep. Both of these results would be an improvement in my opinion.

The one issue that could cause problems would be if someone slept in a cave and then got traped in the cave as when they die they will spawn back in the cave.

I feel this is an issue with the spawn system however. And Actually if you broke the bed you would spawn outside so you would be fine.

The only way you would be stuck is on peaceful but you can change the difficulty anyway. In regards to death due to not being able to escape, I think it would be an interesting challenge to make sure you have enough tools and support the sealing properly.

So the result would be supports are more useful and there is an actual risk to greedily digging to deep. Both of these results would be an improvement in my opinion.

The one issue that could cause problems would be if someone slept in a cave and then got traped in the cave as when they die they will spawn back in the cave.

I feel this is an issue with the spawn system however. And Actually if you broke the bed you would spawn outside so you would be fine.

what i was saying is that you cant die from hunger unless on hardcore, it will drop your hp and stop at a threshold at the other difficulties, so you will literally be trapped in there forever, unless of course you are forced to kill yourself by hitting the stone over and over, and i don't think you should be able to kill yourself that way. i understand the idea and i like it, but i think that it would just be a nuisance if not PERFECTLY implemented

I actually thought that hunger could kill on any difficulty in which the meter went down(haven't yet experienced starvation), perhaps that could be an alteration along with this current idea.

I was just thinking... why wouldnt someone be able to break cobble? Its just a collection of rocks. I can tear apart a fieldstone wall easily, it just takes a while.

I was just thinking... why wouldnt someone be able to break cobble? Its just a collection of rocks. I can tear apart a fieldstone wall easily, it just takes a while.

Actually yeah that makes total sense and would remove the being stuck after a cave-in problem.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0