Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bbushh

Of Trees, Ores and Latitude.... and Fruit!

9 posts in this topic

First, if TerraFirmaCraft never developed beyond its current state it would still be by far the best manifestation of MineCraft to date.... brilliant work and my heartfelt thanks :) I feel the greatest thing that MC has going for it is the amazing distance because of the near infinite map. TFC expands on this principal by having limited north south (or latitude) which provides unique opportunities for content relative to placement on the "globe". To enhance this concept I would like to see trees grow only within certain latitudes with appropriate overlaps and NOT be able to grow in inappropriate areas even if planted there by the player.... tundra is tundra. If there was a median zone where each tree species grew poorly (slowly or only small trees) so much the better. Also, as has been suggested elsewhere it would be cool (if possible) for saplings to only spontaneously appear very close to "parent" trees. Using this same latitude factor it would be neat if ore generation was tweaked (bet that hasn't been suggested :/) so ore bodies were larger and shallower (even surface rock) at the poles well north of the tree line. This would necessitate players travel north and south to get the optimal combination of resources thus making different areas of the map more desirable and unique. This would mitigate the worst aspect of vanilla MC in that where you mined was immaterial. Lastly, would it be possible to greatly reduce the productivity of fruit trees? Its a shame the awesome farming system is seldom used because 6 fruit trees (easily obtained) can feed one player in perpetuity. Thanks for the opportunity to comment and double thanks for this excellent mod.

Do turn this wall of text into an elaborated, organized wall of text; I'm afraid some users might not bother to read your fascinating suggestion.

While I do agree with reducing the productivity of fruit trees, I must disagree with this as well. Planting fruit tree saplings takes a while to grow into functioning fruit trees, though I may miss several significant points on this.

-Sda209

Tweaking the ore generation could be fun-- the problem with that is that in SSP, single players have to burn a LOT of travel time to have operations at significant latitudinal distance from each other. I don't enjoy having to spend an hour or two walking to get to my good mine.

Not saying it's a bad idea-- just don't extremify it too much. Let a few of the crops grow in those northern and southern regions, and let some ore still be found in the temperate zones. In SMP, it means servers will have diversified settlements, with players nearer the equator growing crops and timber and charcoal to trade for metals from the players farther out from center.

My thoughts are going yo focus on fruit trees. I completely agree with reducing their productivity, but I'd like to take that a step further.. make them grow BIGGER! Make it take LONGER to grow to full size, potentially years, and when they are full size then maybe they are as productive as now or maybe slightly less, but take a lot more time to get there to balance it out

The main thing with fruit trees for now is that if developers were to make them take more time to reach maturity - we will be pushed to not bother with domesticating them at all, especially with the same production amounts - little outcome with big waiting periods.

From the other hand, if picking fruit will not result in stripping tree off leaves, and making young tree to still bear fruit, it will be fine. And aren't trees getting more overhauls anyway?

I agree with this idea because of one concept that would be done in multiplayer , that is the development of trading networks , and maybe some bandits on the way trying to pillage you , but i really hate the single player variety of this , you would have to spend hours and hours from getting to one to antoher place , ofcourse this would happen in multiplayer too but you would be actually wisiting towns and villages grown on the trading paths and befriend people buy crops on the markets that would be markets now , maybe even join an army and go on a raid(to the holly land)???? Anyway i'am neutral about this , but i had a need to metnion this ................

-Krski

Well I have to agree with fruit trees . In my new world it haven't even passed a year yet , but I have full chest of fruits ... so I think fruit could only be harvested once a year.

lol

Or better yet instead of chainging natural growth spirt's food could become sopiled after some time being in any inventory .

Suggested so many times.

Shot down just as many times. Don't open that can of worms again!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0