Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mayaknife

Snow In Winter

35 posts in this topic

hrm.

I don't think Quebec would make it very far from an economical standpoint... You guys spend much more money than you generate, and without the rest of the country, you'd be broke pretty quick.

You could make the same argument about Ontario at the moment. Since 2009 Ontario has been a net receiver of federal equalization payments.

Quebec has not always been a net receiver. In general Quebec is more business friendly than the rest of the country (Alberta excepted) and its economy tends to be strong when there's little talk of separatism. Of course the minute the Quebec economy gets strong the separatists start pushing for independence, business flees and the economy tanks. C'est la vie.

I think the biggest problem facing an independent Quebec would be increased pressure on the very culture that they hope separation would preserve. For example, a lot of foreign firms, particularly American, are willing to put up with the hassle and expense of special dual-language labeling in order to gain access to a market of 33 million people. Far fewer would do so for a market of just 8 million.

Alberta on the other hand... They could make threats. They're the richest province in the country

Outside of petrochemicals, Alberta's industry is small and weak, though that is changing. In these days of cheap and easy trade that doesn't have to be a deal killer, but the province's massive reliance on petrochemicals means that if the bottom ever drops out of the market (e.g. cheap power from fusion) then their entire economy would be hosed.

You could make the same argument about Ontario at the moment. Since 2009 Ontario has been a net receiver of federal equalization payments.

Quebec has not always been a net receiver. In general Quebec is more business friendly than the rest of the country (Alberta excepted) and its economy tends to be strong when there's little talk of separatism. Of course the minute the Quebec economy gets strong the separatists start pushing for independence, business flees and the economy tanks. C'est la vie.

I think the biggest problem facing an independent Quebec would be increased pressure on the very culture that they hope separation would preserve. For example, a lot of foreign firms, particularly American, are willing to put up with the hassle and expense of special dual-language labeling in order to gain access to a market of 33 million people. Far fewer would do so for a market of just 8 million.

Outside of petrochemicals, Alberta's industry is small and weak, though that is changing. In these days of cheap and easy trade that doesn't have to be a deal killer, but the province's massive reliance on petrochemicals means that if the bottom ever drops out of the market (e.g. cheap power from fusion) then their entire economy would be hosed.

For the time, yes, Alberta would be able to support itself. Post-separation Alberta would be in quite a bit of trouble though. Alberta already imports workers from across the country to support it's economy, and separation would probably drastically reduce the numbers of people that come in to work there.

All the labels are already in multiple languages. I can't buy anything at the store hardly which doesn't have instructions, etc. in Spanish and French in addition to English.

You guys spend much more money than you generate, and without the rest of the country, you'd be broke pretty quick.

That sounds like the entirety of the US, and look how well we're doing!

I would say that there is two aspects to the idea of Quebec separation, economic and cultural. Even at some extends, political too.

Some people say that our economy is not strong enough to support an independent country. Some people, mostly outside of Quebec say that Quebec is just sucking other provinces's money, like manaknife said. Quebec's north is full of ore that we can exploit to make money, but the government is almost ready to give it for free, then there is no way we can make money out of it.

Of course, the cultural aspect is the one I think is the most important. Quebec's culture will not die if we stay a part of Canada, but how can we protect our ideology when we have a government that take decisions that we do not agree.

For example, Harper's government took Canada out of Kyoto protocol, Quebec asked to stay in. They removed the gun registry, Quebec want to keep the information to have it's own provincial registry. How can we defend out ideology inside of a country who push forward and defend completely different ideas. As far as I know, Alberta is far more conservative. In Quebec, things like abortion and gay marriage are not even a topic we discuss, as most people say it's ok. On the other and, more conservative part of Canada want to fight against it and it's a big subject in their community.

Some people, mostly outside of Quebec say that Quebec is just sucking other provinces's money, like manaknife said.

I didn't say that. I noted that Quebec's economy has had its ups and downs. Currently it's a bit down, but then so is Ontario and most of the rest of the country/world.

Harper's government took Canada out of Kyoto protocol, Quebec asked to stay in. They removed the gun registry, Quebec want to keep the information to have it's own provincial registry. How can we defend out ideology inside of a country who push forward and defend completely different ideas. As far as I know, Alberta is far more conservative. In Quebec, things like abortion and gay marriage are not even a topic we discuss, as most people say it's ok.

Which is why, if I was forced to choose between Quebec and Alberta I'd keep Quebec and lose Alberta. However I'd really rather we all stayed together since I think we have a cool country here, from the tree-huggers on the west coast to those folks with the funny accents on that rock in the middle of the Atlantic. That's why I want to get rid of Harper. He looks at Canada and sees something awful, something which needs to be made to look more like the US. If I'd wanted to live in the US I would have moved there. I'd prefer it if Harper moved there and gave the rest of us our country back.

(Note to any Americans reading this: I'm not a USA-basher, I just happen to like my own country better. As I'm sure most of you like yours better.)

To get back to the topic of snow in Terrafirmacraft , Is there any way to stop the snow from destroying torches and ladders etc.? It's getting pretty annoying to replace few stacks of torches and some ladders during and after every winter.

To get back to the topic of snow in Terrafirmacraft , Is there any way to stop the snow from destroying torches and ladders etc.? It's getting pretty annoying to replace few stacks of torches and some ladders during and after every winter.

winters are harsh. You need to take proper precautions

And as an idea I like it, especially in the wilderness. But pretty much the only options to keep a settlement lit would be make lamp posts everywhere (looks ugly and clunky), make a roof for a fort (again, would look ridiculous) or use less-than-full pieces for flooring, which would result in ugly floating snow. Which means there will be monsters spawning in completely closed environment, which leads to useless busywork.

But that being said, it's just a minor annoyance, which doesn't come even close to overshadow the awesomeness of the mod. :)

I have found floating snow on the server we play on already. Weird.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0