Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dankfootwork

It's about sleep!

20 posts in this topic

Yeah! Sleep! We all like sleep, because sleeping is totally awesome So I thought of some changes on sleep in TFC.First, finding sheep is not that easy sometimes and it's really boring to hide during the first few nights while all those imba (not in the bad way) mobs are creeping outside.So being able to sleep on the floor or on hay would probably be a huge benefit for the mod.Also it would be awesome if we could sleep during the day, or if we could choose how long we want to sleep.And while this may be a bit of work I would really like to see a tiredness-system, as this would make the TFC-feeling even more realistic.

Sounds like a cool idea but... sheep are as easy as finding other animals.

Oh and never say realistic, because its not about realism, its about believablity

Sounds like a cool idea but... sheep are as easy as finding other animals.

Oh and never say realistic, because its not about realism, its about believablity

The problem with wool is not only that you have to find (and kill) sheep, but also that you have to have basic pottery before you can take a nap. Doesn't sound logical to me.

Also carrying a bed around all the time doesn't feel "believably".

hm, ok. There is a solution to this. Wait for Dunk to add straw and hide beds (they will add them).

And from what you are saying is that you don't know what the difference between believable and realism is. 

In this case believable means close to realism but not all the way, such as using a anvil in a believable way.

uncomfortable? how will that work?

As you saw

yes it's uncomfortable

and two it works by placing two thatch blocks on the ground and placing a raw hide on it

As you saw

yes it's uncomfortable

and two it works by placing two thatch blocks on the ground and placing a raw hide on it

No I mean how will the uncomfortable factor be added in game?

Will you wake up faster? take longer to fall asleep? 

What happens in-game to indicate that the straw bed is uncomfortable?

No I mean how will the uncomfortable factor be added in game?

Will you wake up faster? take longer to fall asleep? 

What happens in-game to indicate that the straw bed is uncomfortable?

Uncomfortable is just a adjective he used. He said that just to make it sound interesting.

The uncomfortable factor of the beds is that they will set your spawn, but you cannot use them to bypass the night.

The uncomfortable factor of the beds is that they will set your spawn, but you cannot use them to bypass the night.

Ahhh!

Well that's new

Oh.... so it's kinda like a safe-ish, spawn-setting afk point that only works at night?

Just a question, do you have to sleep the whole night to set spawn, or will just getting on it do the trick?

Will thirst and hunger not deplete while sleeping?

Shouldn't it be the other way 'round?

So you can bypass the night but not set a spawn?

I mean, that's what beds are made for, sleeping.

I agree, beds are used for skipping the night

I would prefer to see them skip the night and not set my spawn.  I play on hardcore when I play TFC because re spawning isn't believable to me. 

Perhaps they would make you wake up at 3am instead of 6am.  A shorter sleep time because they're uncomfortable.  

Also, they could have numbered uses.

Just a question, do you have to sleep the whole night to set spawn, or will just getting on it do the trick?

Will thirst and hunger not deplete while sleeping?

It works just like the vanilla mechanic when a player enters a bed on a server, but not everybody is in bed. The spawn is reset, but no time passes and you have to manually get out of the bed.

Since thirst and hunger depletion is calculated off of time passed, and no time is passed when "sleeping" in these beds, your hunger and thirst will remain the same. To put it another way, when you sleep in a true bed, your hunger and thirst depletes the exact same amount as if you had stayed awake during the period of time that you slept through. Since you aren't sleeping through any time in the straw bed, there is no extra loss.

I agree, beds are used for skipping the night

In this case, the majority of suggestions and requests that were made for primitive beds were based on the fact that the player wished to move their spawn point closer to where they are currently living. 

I would prefer to see them skip the night and not set my spawn.  I play on hardcore when I play TFC because re spawning isn't believable to me. 

Perhaps they would make you wake up at 3am instead of 6am.  A shorter sleep time because they're uncomfortable.  

Also, they could have numbered uses.

Early game is supposed to be hard, a major point of TFC was to get away from the "Dig a hole and place a bed and now I never have to be worried about monsters again" aspect of vanilla Minecraft. Sleeping through the night and therefore bypassing the danger of monsters is a luxury that must be earned by putting in more effort than gathering some straw and killing an animal.

Having the straw bed wake you up at 3am would be hard to implement without hardcoding some way to prevent players from just hopping back into the bed and sleeping through the rest of the night.

We decided we wanted to allow players to set their spawn points but not skip the night. It's a case where the bed was made to fill a role, not finding a role for the bed. A lot of players choose to wander great distances before setting up a house, and not being able to set their spawn can be an issue. it allows players to move their spawn around without making a saw first.

We decided we wanted to allow players to set their spawn points but not skip the night. It's a case where the bed was made to fill a role, not finding a role for the bed. A lot of players choose to wander great distances before setting up a house, and not being able to set their spawn can be an issue. it allows players to move their spawn around without making a saw first.

So my original idea of modifying the timescale while in the bed seemed... impractical?

Oh well~ skipping night also seemed like a bad move from my perspective, so I thought doubling the rate that time passed would be enough. Night is quite frightening in TFC after all... not to mention that it isn't a very usable time. You have to sit there and do nothing.

Early game is supposed to be hard, a major point of TFC was to get away from the "Dig a hole and place a bed and now I never have to be worried about monsters again" aspect of vanilla Minecraft. Sleeping through the night and therefore bypassing the danger of monsters is a luxury that must be earned by putting in more effort than gathering some straw and killing an animal.

Having the straw bed wake you up at 3am would be hard to implement without hardcoding some way to prevent players from just hopping back into the bed and sleeping through the rest of the night.

As it is, all you need is "dig a hole and now I never have to be worried about monsters again" because monsters can't break blocks. The only thing the bed changes here is the ability to bypass the ten minutes wating for night to pass. I mean, you can't even make doors that can be broken down by monsters until you have planks, but once you have planks you can make full beds.

I think nightmares are a more prudent solution to the problem: you pass the night, but you risk waking up to a nasty surprise.

As it is, all you need is "dig a hole and now I never have to be worried about monsters again" because monsters can't break blocks. The only thing the bed changes here is the ability to bypass the ten minutes wating for night to pass. I mean, you can't even make doors that can be broken down by monsters until you have planks, but once you have planks you can make full beds.

I think nightmares are a more prudent solution to the problem: you pass the night, but you risk waking up to a nasty surprise.

I said timescale to make the coding a bit easier. Other than that, it would just accelerate the unusable night, imagine it like a fitful sleep. You keep waking up in fear of mobs, or due to weather conditions.