Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TomatoThief

Not Another Bed Suggestion (Night Hunting)

7 posts in this topic

I will try to be brief, and I will fail.

Pursuant to my dissatisfaction with the "sleep" system in Minecraft, and while musing on how to expand beds and sleeping mechanics, I discovered that my true gripe was that I didn't have enough ways to skip the night. That is, night is boring. This is the precise opposite of how survival should be.

Let us make the night more interesting. And by "us" I mean "somebody else". Who wants a bed when night is where the action is and always has been? There are plenty of suggestions for the board, but I'll keep this narrow topic to the narrow suggestion of Night Hunting.

Prey animals should be very difficult to catch during the day. No caveman ever scratched behind the ears of a living sheep, much less sheared it. During they day, they should flee on sight. Not random spazzing, but full sprint toward the player TIMES NEGATIVE ONE. During the night, however, they should be lethargic or asleep, with drastically reduced detection range. They should also die in one or two hits. Better, a hit deals damage and causes a poison effect as they bleed out. I won't mention following blood trails here, but... blood trails.

Additionally, some animals should only be seen at night, or during dusk and dawn (I'm looking at you, deer). They should spawn and despawn like hostiles, so if you can't find anything tonight, you have a shot at new spawns tomorrow. You should be able to bait animals based on their food preference. Pigs like truffles? Plant a big patch of truffles, climb up your tree stand, and wait for their active time of day. Then when they spawn and approach, you fire ze missile... or let them go. Mercy is the true show of strength. Killing defenseless pigs is for cowards.

Regards,

-TT

I liked your write up, it was a very fun read. The idea were solid as well. Time is always a very fun aspect to me in video games. It makes the world feel more alive when different things happened at different times of day. I think blood trails would be a bit to mature for what TFC is going for though. A way to track would be interesting though, I just think something other than blood should be used.

I like the idea but I don't like about animals despawning, they should hide someplace during the day

I dunno.

I think most people will cower at night since that's when all the nocturnal carnivores come out to eat those sleeping animals.

And animals at night are just as aware as animals at day.

very interesting idea! i'd love to have something like this. it would make things such as the night vision effect so much more useful.

Whenever dunk starts focusing hard time on predators of the wild i'd like him to do similar things to them. have them be neutral and shy during the day (but still fucking dangerous) and fast and to quick to the point during night.

So, if you meet a tiger at day, you can keep your distance and you'll be fine as you don't try to attack it, but if you meet one at night, it'll just rip you to pieces?

I like that idea

Two things:

First, humans aren't nocturnal animals, our eyes can't see very well in the dark (they emulate that in minecraft reducing the "light" at night), whereas other animals have better or nocturnal eyesight or smell/hear senses. Cavemen hunted in group using tactical movements to corner their prey and they used weapons like javelins to kill them even if they were running, that is how they managed to kill faster or stronger animals than themselves. If you play in single player you don't have the support of your group and, unless you can train some dogs to help you, it is going to be hard. 

Second, in minecraft you have a little big problem at night and it's called "hostiles mobs" like  creepers and those fast spiders/baby zombies that would make night hunt almost impossible to do unless you erase them from the surface and reduce them to crawl in caverns and hunted castles/ cemeteries. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0