Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Livid

The new rocks

24 posts in this topic

the new "model" of rocks is pretty ugly and doesn't stand well with the world...

i think that what the devs was trying to do with this can be accomplished with various textures for the old model (that was great)

The reason that it has been changed to use the item render rather than a model is for future compatibility if we ever want to add anything else spawning on the ground. Sticks also don't really work for some of the random fat and square shapes that the old model generated.

Also, the new items look a whole lot better if you use fancy graphics.. since they actually lay flat on the ground.

My computer can hardly handle TFC with all my chiseling and planking... I can't imagine sacrificing it for fancy graphics! Alas! the rocks are too ugly! I must begin building with full blocks to save frames.

I'm having huge lag spikes in 0.78.6, might have something to do with the new rock models or probably something else.

Edit: nevermind, i'm not lagging anymore, i just needed to update my java, oops!

Are you near mountains? If so, please provide your seed and coordinates.

fancy graphics are lagging now regardless the seed :(

is it normal?

It's normal if your computer doesn't have the processing power to use fancy graphics settings.

it was okay before the new rocks appear, could it be a bug from the code?

It's more likely because the game now has more stuff to render fancy than before. So your system could just barely handle fancy graphics before, and the addition of new fancy graphics pushes it over the edge.

Pro-tip for those struggling with frame rate issues and still want fancy graphics, give Java more memory and start the MC launcher with a low desktop resolution (basically as low as you can go to get good fps).

alright, thank you guys for the fast responses.

someone could post me a screen of the rocks laying flat on the ground? i have 78.5 and i can't update...

If my mid 2006 2 gb DDR2 intel core duo 2.0 can stand fancy with optifine, you can too. Install optifine, remove fog and set clouds to fast. You'll be able to play with no problems

If my mid 2006 2 gb DDR2 intel core duo 2.0 can stand fancy with optifine, you can too. Install optifine, remove fog and set clouds to fast. You'll be able to play with no problems

And if have a " charcoal fueled computer"?

someone could post me a screen of the rocks laying flat on the ground? i have 78.5 and i can't update...

Posted Image

Oh, the rocks with fancy graphics are pretty good

I love the new rocks and sticks.  I wish we could place inventory items on the ground like that.

Like prepared meals. That way, we could place our meals on a table or any other surfaces in our kitchen while working on something around.

not very useful indeed, but cool lol.

I was lugging those thoughts for quite a bit of time but despite playing new version for a few days (and earlier ones for much longer time), I've decided to make an account to share my impression regarding few of the recent changes as I still cannot really get comfortable with them.

And in case of stones, I do have agree with OP - their current look is very messy. They stand out horribly on the map now, making landscape of plains or forest polluted with little shapes which simply look bad, both in fancy and simple graphic style. I understand that it was made in preparation for possible future additions but till we get them, would it be possible to mod/activate the 3d stones? Few people I've played with seem to agree that they were, for all their flaws, far more aesthetic and meshing with the rest of the 3d environment far better and slight help here would be really appreciated. I have completely no issue with sacrificing the ability to cherry-pick ores from between the rocks either, especially since I find it more realistic and not a bother at all to pick up a stone before it can be identified as some ore piece (nor to be honest I recall seeing people in general having issue with this in my lurking time on the forum).

To voice an opinion for the record - rocks current, 2D version is a step backward, as hard on my eyes as if we'd suddenly turn trees into sprites. Can we please have an alternative to this?

I'm okay with that as long as it's optional, but I personally think that the current rocks look much much better than those weird little bricks everywhere.

Also, I don't think it's more realistic the old way.  I can look at a rock on the ground, I don't have to pick it up to see that it's native copper.

In all honesty, the few native copper rocks I did see IRL often (though not always) looked very much like regular rocks, especially when covered in dirt and hidden among grass (and commonly even when not). Possibly because often they are imbued in rocks - rarely you can find just perfectly clean piece of relatively pure copper.