Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Overhauled meal creation mechanic & removed potion effects

23 posts in this topic

I didn't quite understand what happen to the food. Do meals no longer provide buffs? (because of the "removed potion effects")

If so, why would you prepare meals? Am I missing something?

Easy, in fact I can provide many reason to make meal.

One, your health is no longer a stable figure. It fluctuates depending on how much of each nutrient you have. Food by themselves only provide 1 nutrient per consumption. It may fill your belly but it will leave you worse off in health. Meals provide a way to fill up to 4 nutrients and fill your belly.

Two, meals stretch the value of food depending on how tasty it is, filling your belly with less food for longer.

Three, meals are convent to carry. They allow a player to carry a reasonable amount of food while leaving you main food supply in storage. This prevents travel rot and stretches food storage.

Ok, but then all you need is one type of each.No longer you are experimenting with foods to achieve good meals.

It's kinda strait forward now.. one vegetable, one fruit etc...

and besides, I don't care about health, I don't like being hit, and I don't care to have a higher max hp.

What I'm saying is that before the food was very important, but now (after trying to make it more important) it became completely useless.. just my opinion.

If you consider that a single nutrient only supports about 200 of 1000 health it makes a difference. Zombies hit for about 50-100 hp and arrow and javelins hit for twice that. (And imagine PvP damage !)

As for variety, there seems to be a modifier on each meal (That percentage near the Taste). Once a meal is made, Depending on your Cooking experience and the ingredients you use, you may be able to double if not triple the saturation of a meal.

The main thing to consider when with meals is that Everyone will use them if they want to survive, they are not meant as a Buff for anything except your health.

There is still experimentation for finding good meals. It was simply changed that instead of giving different potion effects, it gives different saturation values.

I used to have the same attitude about not getting hit, even though I play on Hardcore. But it doesn't matter how careful you are, stuff always happens. A skeleton hiding under a tree in broad daylight shoots you off a hill. A baby zombie comes running silently through the grass like that boy zombie on 28 Days Later (seriously, do these things EVER burn?). With only one nutrient, you're sitting around 200 HP, which is tissue paper. By the time you can turn to see what hit you, you're dead. Even with two nutrients, around 400 HP is very dangerous.

That said, I've never made a meal that didn't crash my game temporarily (or permanently). So I carry a variety of food... pretty much just protein and vegetables since that's all I ever manage to get. I die a lot.

TT

I really could not care less how much health and saturation my player has in TFC.

It's really a shame if the potion effects are removed from meals. I love to have the haste, speed and jump boosts from a meal. Please bring them back.

I have to admit I kind of liked the potion effects with meals. It was a nice little thing to explore. Yeah there's still some exploration, but it's sort of like with Diablo; finding items with +4 damage or whatever was alright, but what was really interesting was the special effects that rare items would have, that other items didn't.

Maybe food isn't the right place for potion effects. I wouldn't mind seeing that switched to alcohol brewing, maybe. Brewing alcohol could be expanded upon to make room for potion effects.

Maybe the potion effects haven't been removed and the mods are just kidding us - when you get to skill level 100 on cookery then the potion effects kick back in ;)

So has anyone gotten to the point of making meals? I assume so (for those with lots of time on their hands). Then how profound is the saturation boost? Can you go without a meal for like 10 min, or more? I just want to know if the incentive to make meals is worthwhile.

the main advantage of meals is that you get 3 food types at once - so they increase your health

Actually you get 4 food types at once if you do it right. That said, I have yet to find a 'tasty' recipe...

Ok, but then all you need is one type of each.No longer you are experimenting with foods to achieve good meals.

It's kinda strait forward now.. one vegetable, one fruit etc...

and besides, I don't care about health, I don't like being hit, and I don't care to have a higher max hp.

What I'm saying is that before the food was very important, but now (after trying to make it more important) it became completely useless.. just my opinion.

You still need to find a 'tasty' recipe so your food doesn't go to waste.

And, even if you don't care about health, I think you will end up caring if a 3 block fall kills you while exploring.

Especially if you where bringing back some good loot

Actually you get 4 food types at once if you do it right. That said, I have yet to find a 'tasty' recipe...

Not sure how you get 4, as the middle 2 have to be both the same type

Tasty meals do not decay? That's new to me.

Not sure how you get 4, as the middle 2 have to be both the same type

The middle 2 have the option to be the same type, but can be different. The wiki page was updated a few days ago to reflect this.

Tasty meals do not decay? That's new to me.

All meals decay. I believe what AllenWL meant about " food doesn't go to waste." was it being considered useless otherwise.

lol - outdated by only a couple of days :D

All meals decay. I believe what AllenWL meant about " food doesn't go to waste." was it being considered useless otherwise.

What I meant was using the same amount of food and getting a 'terrible' meal or getting a 'tasty' meal.

A tasty meal gives more saturation, so if you make a 'terrible' meal, you are losing the saturation you could have gotten if it was tasty.

Meaning you 'waste' the food by getting less from it than you would have if the meal was tasty

I am strongly against "Potions" and potion effects in TFC. One of my fondest memories in gaming was being right outside Freeport in Eq1 where a young pup is asking me for advice while fighting rats or some such nonsense. He gets low on health then runs back and asks me where he can get "pots". I said, "Pots?" He says, "Yeah, potions, to restores my health." Ah, welcome to the REAL virtual world, my friend. How far we've fallen since the cold, brutal days of EQ, where if you died you had to trudge back to your corpse in the snow, uphill, both ways.... wait what were we talking about?

So at best, with full nutrients you should be at 100% performance, which can only degrade. Never should you breach 101% performance, or if you do, it should come at a cost representing a net loss (sugar makes you more energetic for 5 minutes, and sluggish for 20).

You sound so poetic TT :D

Meh, saturation seems like a good enough motivator for me. I've been smithing through the night and almost starved to death more than once.

I agree, even if I get more hunger out of munching on beans all day long, I'd rather not have to eat every couple of minuets.

Plus, it's annoying to suddenly start starving when fighting.

I'm already tech'ing up to tier 4 metals (steel), survived 2 winters and still can't make meals better than poor rating, which don't give a whole lot of extra saturation...