Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lightningtiger88

Woven Grass

11 posts in this topic

I think straw could be used better to enhance the stone-age experience, especially with a few things that should really be available early on but are restricted to post-metal era.

Woven Baskets;

A vessel which is easy to access and doesn't require tedious inventory management, placed like a chest. It's disadvantage against the vessel would be that it can't be picked up with the things inside it, and that it can't be used to melt things. There's definitely a problem with early storage and the vessels are just annoying to use for *everything*. They have their uses as portable storage but they shouldn't be the only option.

Grassweave Quiver;

Stone javelins really are underused, and even though they are the only dedicated weapon in the stone age a lot of people swear off them because of their low durability. If an early game quiver was introduced, with a lower carrying capacity but still useful, I think javelins wouldn't be regarded so poorly. As it is people don't even use metal javelins because they have bad experiences with stone ones.

Straw Hat;

Just a clothing option for the hinted at Temperature Update, potentially to protect against rain or sun.

EDIT: I know the woven baskets have been suggested a hundred times, but I figured i'd lump in another reminder of it while i got the quiver thing in, which was the main suggestion.

I have interesting balance mechanic for Woven Basket: Every time you open it, there is small chance (<5% maybe?) that the basket will break and spill everything on the ground. 

I have better idea. (Maybe)

Vessels are good, but its hard to use them, because you need to pick it from the ground, right click with it. Soo, how about changing mechaniks of them, so you can acsess vessels inventory with right click on it.

So - 4 vessels are laying on the ground. If you shift click - you can pick them up. If you right click - they will open like chest. All 4 at once

I was going to create a post with the title woven straw.

I would like to add the woven rug. ( maybe not the correct name, I am not sure)

It was used to dry fruits.

I like it, but most of those things would really be made from saplings.  Which we have in game.  So yeah, I'd suggest we make them out of saplings.  Except the hat.

I dislike the ideas of not being able to pick up straw baskets (historically they were a very common portable container) or that they might break.

I would just make the straw basket be placeable like a chest, but have only 9 slots. And it could be picked up like a vessel and carried. The only drawback would be that you couldn't put heavy items in it.

This would make it both a stone-age chest and its portability would mean it would continue to be of use into the metal age. It's more believable that people carry light straw baskets than heavy pottery vessels (and vessels would still be useful as food containers, which is also believable).

In order to be crafted in the stone age, create a weaving interface similar to the knapping interface (with probably just the same plan as vessels).

Also: straw (i.e., reed) boats.

Another less likely possibility is that you start off with only a hotbar and you need to weave 3 straw baskets to add the other additional rows to your inventory. Probably wouldn't add too much to the gameplay though.

I also think along with those some very basic weak straw armor could be added in history soldiers used to stuff their uniforms with straw or hay so maybe have a straw and wool armor for the early game maybe half as effective as leather with 1/3 the durability I find that I rarely make leather armor before I get to the point where I can make metal armor.

I think the early stone age is too short to squeeze another tech level inside it.

But with the idea of having animals attack back some early game protection from them may be helpful

I think the early stone age is too short to squeeze another tech level inside it.

I agree stone age is too short.

But I love the challenge of starting a new game and wish stone age was longer.

Is it just me or there are other who start a new world just for the trill of surviving with out any technology?

I don't have any ideas on how to implement, but I would  love for longer stone and copper ages.

I agree, but I don't really think of this as another tech level.  I use wicker baskets in my home right now.  Just because this would be something you could have early access to doesn't mean that it can't be useful later in the game.  Just like pottery.  Sure, you probably won't be making molds in your late game, but for sure you'll have vessels and jugs.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0