Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Mogriax

Bugged Chisel + other issues.

18 posts in this topic

hi been hosting terrafirma for well over a month now, im quite pleased with this mod, however a few things have come to my attention. when attemping to switch to another dimension my clients get internal server error message. this is any dimension switching not just nether or ender. i installed paleocraft ontop but couldnt switch the dino dimension. the other thing is the chisel/mortor combo.. when placing planks and chiseling them the chisel for some reason gets stuck. this happens serverwide and to alleviate this issue i have to delete the data files in the world folder.i am currently running a 16gb 4 x 4 amd 4 core processor server with plenty of harddrive and a silly amount of available bandwidth, its also running a linux OS platform. is it my server or are there indeed problems with this mod associated to these two issues?

Oh also please note till the lastest update putting my nether portal at 1-50 Y solved the server error, however now it doesnt. Also why does the world get generated at silly range bounderies (one world gen was at -22000 214 19000)? surely spawning and generating the world at 0 0 coordinates would be more sensible?

I can't answer about the other question, but for the spawn coordinate, on the north-south axis, you do not want to spawn at 0 as it is equator, and the hottest place in the game. Unlike vanilla, the "limit" of the world in TFC is +/- 30k on the south-north axis, 30k being the start of an ice wasteland.

A lot of things change with temperature and weather, like animal, trees and bush spawn. Also some biomes like desert are most likely to happen in hot area. As you will most likely have to move a lot north/south to find some ressources, you do not want to start around equator.

TFC makes a lot of changes behind the scenes for world generation such as climate and temperature and biomes which causes mods with other dimensions to not work. In general, any mod that does major world generation (other than just ores) will not work with TFC.

What exactly do you mean about the chisel getting "stuck" ? Are you trying to chisel plank blocks, or placed plank items?

As aliceingame stated, the player is usually spawned around -20,000 for the Z coordinate because that is a temperate climate that is easily habitable, compared to 0 (the equator) where practically nothing can grow because it's too hot, and players will quickly die from heat stroke once body temperature is implemented.

TFC makes a lot of changes behind the scenes for world generation such as climate and temperature and biomes which causes mods with other dimensions to not work. In general, any mod that does major world generation (other than just ores) will not work with TFC.

What exactly do you mean about the chisel getting "stuck" ? Are you trying to chisel plank blocks, or placed plank items?

As aliceingame stated, the player is usually spawned around -20,000 for the Z coordinate because that is a temperate climate that is easily habitable, compared to 0 (the equator) where practically nothing can grow because it's too hot, and players will quickly die from heat stroke once body temperature is implemented.

ok to answer your reply, minecraft nether and ender are part of the game.. they are not mods and shouldnt suffer from mod problems. yet somehow do with terracraft on my server.

the chisel gets stuck on stair making after a time. it doesnt reset isnt something stuck to a single player its a global thing, not sure what causes it as it doesnt cause a server crash. it seems to happen when chiselling wood into stairs. thirdly thats all very fine have a biome at that heat causing issues for some, but surely this is survival and being dumped in a hot place just means people should adapt, i notice also that the world doesnt unload when people log off. is this intentional?

The nether and the end are part of vanilla Minecraft. You can't get to the end in TFC without cheating because there are no end portals, and it's extremely difficult to get to the nether since there is only very rare cases where obsidian is obtainable in survival mode. Even if you do get to the nether, there's really no point since the majority of the stuff there has no use in TFC and the vanilla recipes for it is disabled anyways.

You keep saying that you are chiseling wood. Are you chiseling a complete placed plank block? Or are you trying to use the chisel on placed plank items? If you don't understand the question, these are placed plank items:

Posted Image

If you are chiseling the full plank blocks (the ones you get by crafting 4 plank items together) and your chisel gets stuck, then it is a synchronization issue and lag between the client and the server. You should be able to fix it by simply logging out of the client and logging back in.There is no need to delete any of the .dat files.

Simply making a "hot biome" isn't how TFC works. The entire world generation system has been overhauled and completely overrides vanilla's world gen. This isn't changing no matter how much people complain.

The world unloaded when people log off is a problem with all minecraft servers, vanilla, modded or TFC. As long as the server itself is running, the world stays loaded.

I'd also caution you against attempting to enter to the nether. Any attempt I have made at entering the nether has resulted in immediate game crash that results and me being unable to re-enter without crashing. It worked in the .77 just not currently

The nether and the end are part of vanilla Minecraft. You can't get to the end in TFC without cheating because there are no end portals, and it's extremely difficult to get to the nether since there is only very rare cases where obsidian is obtainable in survival mode. Even if you do get to the nether, there's really no point since the majority of the stuff there has no use in TFC and the vanilla recipes for it is disabled anyways.

You keep saying that you are chiseling wood. Are you chiseling a complete placed plank block? Or are you trying to use the chisel on placed plank items? If you don't understand the question, these are placed plank items:

Posted Image

If you are chiseling the full plank blocks (the ones you get by crafting 4 plank items together) and your chisel gets stuck, then it is a synchronization issue and lag between the client and the server. You should be able to fix it by simply logging out of the client and logging back in.There is no need to delete any of the .dat files.

Simply making a "hot biome" isn't how TFC works. The entire world generation system has been overhauled and completely overrides vanilla's world gen. This isn't changing no matter how much people complain.

The world unloaded when people log off is a problem with all minecraft servers, vanilla, modded or TFC. As long as the server itself is running, the world stays loaded.

ok thanks for the clarification on the nether./ender. the chisel is on full blocks, and also on planks.. more so on planks, at first i thought it was a CLIENT ~ SERVER issue and assumed this so, so rebooted server.. no fix it still remained stuck on the stairs icon. this is a global server problem which once the client initiates it the server then "thinks" it is normal. the option to switch modes stops. Even when fresh clients log on they cannot change modes on the chisel. the only way is to delete the data, level.dat etc in the world file folder.

i dont understand why setting the spawn to default near to 0 0 is an issue, yes its a hot biome, yes very little growing there, but doesnt stop people migrating north/south. it almost seems like buggy coding which is being defended as a mechanic of the mod.this is a S u r v i v a l mod after all. on another note why is it the spawn point cannot be set manually. ive tried everything under the sun to move the spawn point including attempting to live edit the .dat files all which end in misery. again is this a broken mechanic or something that is intended. other thing i was going to mention, all my biomes spawn at around 175-200 over Y  as my world has a limit at 255 blocks.. this is a bit annoying, was this intentional in the creation of the world on this mod?

Edited by Mogriax

"the chisel is on full blocks, and also on planks.. more so on planks" Which one is it... full plank blocks, or plank item blocks? You can't chisel plank item blocks is the point that I'm trying to get across. You can only chisel full plank blocks that were crafted with 4 plank items.

Yes it's a survival mod, but spawning players at 0,0 is the equivalent of spawning them dead center in the middle of the Sahara desert. It's not that "very little" is growing there.. it's that nothing is growing there. There is no food, and no fresh water. If a player spawned at 0,0, they would die of thirst and starvation before they could even travel to habitable land.

Spawn points can be set manually for players by using the vanilla /spawnpoint command. Because of the way that TFC overrides vanilla spawn points to make sure they spawn in an area that they can survive in, editing the value in any of the .dat files other than the player's wont work. A few users have reported being able to change the spawn point with 3rd party programs such as MCEdit, but I cannot confirm or deny this.

Sea-level in TFC is at y 140. Sea-level in vanilla is at about y64. The increase of sea level in TFC is intentional, to allow for there to be three large layers of stone underneath the ground which spawn different materials.

Edit: Since I've had to ask this question 3 times now and I still haven't gotten a valid answer. I'm going to resort to using more pictures because obviously you don't understand what I'm trying to ask. We're even going to put it in all caps in case you aren't actually reading the whole post, and are just skipping the important parts. ARE YOU USING THE CHISEL ON A FULL PLANK BLOCK (LIKE THE PINE ONE ON THE LEFT) OR ARE YOU USING IT ON A PLANK ITEM BLOCK (THE COLORFUL ONE ON THE RIGHT)? I HAVE NEVER ONCE ASKED ABOUT STONE, SO JUST SAYING "PLANKS" IS NOT A VALID ANSWER.

Posted Image

Unless you provide a valid answer to this question, I cannot figure out a solution to the problem, as they are two completely different blocks, and you shouldn't even be using a chisel on one of them.

-Deleted-

Edited by Kittychanley
Only help if you can be helpful.

"the chisel is on full blocks, and also on planks.. more so on planks" Which one is it... full plank blocks, or plank item blocks? You can't chisel plank item blocks is the point that I'm trying to get across. You can only chisel full plank blocks that were crafted with 4 plank items.

Yes it's a survival mod, but spawning players at 0,0 is the equivalent of spawning them dead center in the middle of the Sahara desert. It's not that "very little" is growing there.. it's that nothing is growing there. There is no food, and no fresh water. If a player spawned at 0,0, they would die of thirst and starvation before they could even travel to habitable land.

Spawn points can be set manually for players by using the vanilla /spawnpoint command. Because of the way that TFC overrides vanilla spawn points to make sure they spawn in an area that they can survive in, editing the value in any of the .dat files other than the player's wont work. A few users have reported being able to change the spawn point with 3rd party programs such as MCEdit, but I cannot confirm or deny this.

Sea-level in TFC is at y 140. Sea-level in vanilla is at about y64. The increase of sea level in TFC is intentional, to allow for there to be three large layers of stone underneath the ground which spawn different materials.

Edit: Since I've had to ask this question 3 times now and I still haven't gotten a valid answer. I'm going to resort to using more pictures because obviously you don't understand what I'm trying to ask. We're even going to put it in all caps in case you aren't actually reading the whole post, and are just skipping the important parts. ARE YOU USING THE CHISEL ON A FULL PLANK BLOCK (LIKE THE PINE ONE ON THE LEFT) OR ARE YOU USING IT ON A PLANK ITEM BLOCK (THE COLORFUL ONE ON THE RIGHT)? I HAVE NEVER ONCE ASKED ABOUT STONE, SO JUST SAYING "PLANKS" IS NOT A VALID ANSWER.

Posted Image

Unless you provide a valid answer to this question, I cannot figure out a solution to the problem, as they are two completely different blocks, and you shouldn't even be using a chisel on one of them.

well as you seem to be getting confused by the answer, the chisel gets stuck when chiselling full blocks into stairs.

as for the spawnpoint command. No. it doesnt work. the global spawn point resets regardless spawnpoint being set. and as far as setting global world spawn point that is a 1.7.5+ command. not a 1.6.4 one.

well as you seem to be getting confused by the answer, the chisel gets stuck when chiselling full blocks into stairs.

as for the spawnpoint command. No. it doesnt work. the global spawn point resets regardless spawnpoint being set. and as far as setting global world spawn point that is a 1.7.5+ command. not a 1.6.4 one.

You explicitly stated: "the chisel is on full blocks, and also on planks.. more so on planks"

Because we were never talking about stone, and you never used to word "blocks" after you said planks, that sentence is easily interpreted as "I used the chisel on full plank blocks, and also on plank items, more so on plank items." When there are two different things that can both be referred to as "planks," you need to be more specific about which one you are exactly referring to every single time you use the word "planks."

Anyways, now that that has been clarified, I have more specific questions for you:

• What all are you running on your server? Is it just forge and TFC, or are there other mods like perhaps MCPC+ (which TFC doesn't officially support)?
  • Is this an actual server, or a client running on Open to LAN?
  • Has the key-binding for "Cycle Tool Mode" been changed to anything other than M?
  • Does one player using the chisel lock the mode for every single player that is currently online?
  • While the chisel mode is stuck, are players able to change modes while using a hoe?

I have no idea why deleting the level.dat file is fixing the problem for you, because there is absolutely no information regarding tool modes in that file. There isn't a "global" setting like you're talking about, the only place that the chisel mode is stored is in packets for each individual username. You can open up the level.dat file yourself in an NBT editor and see that there is no "ChiselMode" flag. The actual use of the item also has no code regarding setting that flag, there is only a retrieval of the flag to see what mode it is set to, so it knows which action to apply to the block.

Ok so my post got deleted because it wasn't helpful and perhaps offensive. So how about this:

You want to spawn in 0,0 then either start a creative world and teleport yourself (and everyone) to 0,0. Then go back to survival. Or for single player, create a survival world, open as a LAN world with cheats, switch to creative, then teleport yourself to 0,0. Log out and log back in and your are back in your locked survival world. Oh and to set spawn, make a bed or straw bed (for everyone).

The chisel cannot get stuck when using planks blocks. But I suspect you mean it just doesn't work. You must have a hammer on your hotbar with the chisel, mate. That will fix your problem.

Terex, no your ever so wrong, cant open to lan on a remote host, as for spawning at 0.0 the TFC mod itself moves the spawn if you attempt to move it, regardless of making spawn points or with a bed.

anyway my remote server is a 16x quad core amd processor , 16GB ram 1TB SSD 1 GB connection unlimited and unmetered bandwidth..( i have in the past ran 3 steam dedicated servers each with 40 players on no problem, money is no object for my entertainment). as for the chisel getting stuck when using plank blocks, this has been REPORTED to me by my clients. i have only noticed it on full blocks when making a roof or a staircase myself, i also notice it is totally random and cannot force it to occur it just does as and when it feels like it, as for keybindings its all default so yeah tested that theory even tested the lock cycle mode one too, though i suspect this may have something to do with it, and as mentioned previously, when a lock occurs.. it affects everything. 

The server is running Ubuntu 12.04 (i dont want to upgrade it though i could if i so wished to) The minecraft folder runs Forge latest edition, TFC latest edition, Dynmap for 1.6.4 and nothing else, though in the past i have tried to integrate other mods without much success including paleocraft. i have ran mirror servers without any mods on, using forge or mcpc to see if any difference, mcpc/mcpc+ seems to leak memory so decided not to use it. as for not being a global setting, i find this very hard to believe that, its not a vanilla setting its a modification of Java byte coding so therefore belongs directly to the mod and its associated files right? anyway if one chisel gets stuck in CREATIVE with whatever hammer is in the hotbar (sick of kids telling me this, i know you cannot chisel without a hammer) then everyone's chisel follows suit regardless if they are on server or not at the time. if it cant be diagnosed il just accept it and move on.

TFC is open source. You can look at the code yourself. Specifically starting at line 295 on the chisel code: https://github.com/Deadrik/TFCraft/blob/master/TFC_Shared/src/TFC/Items/Tools/ItemChisel.java

Which refers to line 24 of the Player Manager: https://github.com/Deadrik/TFCraft/blob/master/TFC_Shared/src/TFC/Core/Player/PlayerManagerTFC.java

Which tracks the packet transfer regarding Player Info: https://github.com/Deadrik/TFCraft/blob/master/TFC_Shared/src/TFC/Core/Player/PlayerInfo.java

Nowhere in any of the onUsed method (which is what is being triggered when you actually chisel a block) is the chisel mode being set. It's simply reading it.

Edit: It should also be noted that TFC is a mod for survival mode. Any bugs that you experience while in creative mode or through cheating in items are not of any priority to the TFC staff, and won't be fixed any time soon.

Yes ive had a good read through that, wish you had shown me that first, well perhaps its something to do with tickrates. anyway going to sit here and try to diagnose this now. :P

though, ive noticed it happens only in creative mode( so yeah dont worry about it i guess ive not seen in that code for creative mode variables with the chisel, all i see is everytime it is used it takes damage)

The other thing which has me scratching my head, is the code refers to stone blocks a lot more than other blocks. why is this?

The chisel gets stuck in creative when the time is frozen. To change the chisel modes you need to use the command "/gamerule doDaylightCycle true". You can set it back to false after changing the chisel mode if you prefer.

Yes ive had a good read through that, wish you had shown me that first, well perhaps its something to do with tickrates. anyway going to sit here and try to diagnose this now. :P

though, ive noticed it happens only in creative mode( so yeah dont worry about it i guess ive not seen in that code for creative mode variables with the chisel, all i see is everytime it is used it takes damage)

The other thing which has me scratching my head, is the code refers to stone blocks a lot more than other blocks. why is this?

Originally, only stone blocks could be chiseled. Plank blocks can also be chiseled, but they are simply an extension of the stone chiseled block (so they break with a pickaxe, etc). The fact that you can chisel full plank blocks is actually due to the fact that Bioxx forgot to remove it when he implemented placing plank items, and has been just too lazy to get around to removing it entirely.

The chisel gets stuck in creative when the time is frozen. To change the chisel modes you need to use the command "/gamerule doDaylightCycle true". You can set it back to false after changing the chisel mode if you prefer.

THANK YOU. at last a fix for the issue i faced, i couldnt figure out why in creative it kept getting stuck. =)