Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TheHighestKite

More Wildlife, And A More Realistic Hunting Aspect

33 posts in this topic

Yea a massive achuros would not really have a problem with a skinny, hairless creature walking up to it because it is probably thinking that it can just gore out your stomach with one little horn. And a small rabbit is probably terrified of anything as a big (in proportion) as you are, and would run away even if it has never encountered a human before.

nothing skinny here >.>

Posted Image

I specially like the idea of sneaking when hunting as a way to get closer to the prey.

I should include that once you hit an animal with a spear it should die.

So at the same time that I think hunting should be harder ( the only deer that does not run from humans is the american one where we actually have a problem with deer over population. I believe deer on the time in question were a lot afraid of men.) I think if you successfully hit a animal with a spear or arrow it should die or at least get slowness.

Animals should run away from you on first sight, unless you are sneaking. Also they should not let you get close enough to be hit with a melee weapon no matter how good you can sneak. (this kind of weapon was only used when hunting in groups).

There is a tread about changing the mechanics of trowing spears that I think would go together with this one it also talks about trowing rocks

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/3776-a-few-suggestions-on-stone-age-weapons/

I've been slowly working on making hunting more interesting, but vanilla AI mechanics are so hard to work with, and they often break. Deer technically have a mechanic that alerts near by deer of threats if one of them is attacked or startled which should cause them to run directly away from the source of the threat, but pathing and general vanilla handling makes it less than spectacular.

I'd like to change this though.

When playing TFC I like to pretend I am a castaway or stranded in another world.

How hard would it be for any of us to actually kill a deer or any big animal?

Maybe we would be able to kill small game, but even that would be hard.

I have no idea how to emulate that in game but I think it should be more believable.

I really like the idea of there being smaller animals that could be killed early game for smaller amounts of food, with the larger animals either attacking back or running far away when you try to butcher them.  This would fix the issue of early game food being solved by finding a single animal and suddenly having more meat than you can carry.

I think for early game we should be able to spear fish.

People use to have a wood spear with 3 or more points for fishing.

It would work better if we could see the fishes.

that would make more sense than killing a deer.

I like the idea of Mammoths because I love the Ice Age but also because I see them as being something only players could take down.  One player killing a mammoth?  HA!  But on a server, a team of hunters taking one down and then processing all the meat, collecting the bones and furs....my god, what a hunt and a story that would be.  And the amount of meat, if properly salted, cooked, and stored, could allow the players to spend less time hunting and more time mining, building, crafting, and so on.  

Posted Image

Non-related - If I understand correctly, Indian Elephants are related to Mammoths.  I doubt we could train Mammoths but maybe, as long as a player is not threatening or gets too close, Mammoths might just ignore them.

I like for hunting to be a more dangerous experience.

It should be easy to kill small game so the y die instantly once we hit with a spear or arrow.

Big animals would run away or attack back depending on the animal.

Once hurt the ones that run away would do it for like 100 blocks in one direction and since they are hurt they would get slowness. Easy to hit again even with a melee weapon.

If they are not killed within some time they would slowly regenerate.

The ones that attack back are the ones that need multiple hits to die. The bigger the animal the more hits it needs to get killed and even so they need to happen in a short time.

If we ever have animals like a mammoth they would have so much regeneration that the only way to kill is in multiplayer.