Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhineasWynd

Stone Age Building Materials

9 posts in this topic

I can only think of three building materials in the stone age - Thatch, Logs and Cobblestone (which falls).
I think there should be some more materials available for building in the stone age. In order to keep the idea of struggling for survival, they shouldn't be easily obtainable, and they shouldn't be easy to build with. So, I propose:

- Sticks - Add the plank placing mechanic to sticks, but they can only be placed vertically, and can only be placed when there is a block below them.
post-2319-0-17471900-1402140510_thumb.pn
- Mortared Cobblestone - Brick recipe but with stones and clay. Does not fall if the block below is a dry mortared cobblestone and there is a solid block on at least one horizontal direction, otherwise acts like TFC falling blocks(dirt, sand etc). Takes a few minecraft hours to dry.
- Adobe / Clay Bricks - Made from straw and bricks, take a few hours to dry in your inventory (cool down type thing). Maybe it needs to be placed in an ingot mould to get its shape.
post-2319-0-03156400-1402141721.png

Can make the Clay bricks block with a 2x2 brick recipe. If there is not a solid block on at least one horizontal direction, it falls.

Clay blocks, log piles, and sorta dirt and grass as well.

But yea, I get your point

Regarding cobblestone, for newcomers who arenot aware we had a discussion about it in the past - non-mortared version would be both believable and realistic, as per dry stone method of construction. I did make a suggestion for a type of cobblestone separate from the 'natural' one resulting from cave-ins.

Also, Adobe has been suggested before. But, it is still a good one

I aggree and like the clay straw idea very much. Maybe ad 1 or 2 sticks to the recipe to increase its value.

Also, as much as I like the clay blocks, they should really be disabled, because they are way to easy to optain. Or have them at least needed to be baked first.

The addon Extrafirmacraft has adobe bricks, try it!

Agree that we need more stone-age materials, but I'm not sure being able to place sticks is fair. How often have you built something out of sticks (that wasn't blown away by a big bad wolf)? Perhaps we could 'weave' the sticks in the 4x4 grid for a simple block or post?

I'm excited about the idea of adobe or whatever the TFC equivalent of Vanilla's hardened clay will be.

I don't believe there's any historical basis for a mortar based on clay. It's either too soft or too brittle to accomplish the needs of mortar. Instead, I think we should go with something like the dry-stone methods suggested in Visitor's thread. There has been a lot of good discussion there already.

Regarding cobblestone, for newcomers who arenot aware we had a discussion about it in the past - non-mortared version would be both believable and realistic, as per dry stone method of construction. I did make a suggestion for a type of cobblestone separate from the 'natural' one resulting from cave-ins.

Why adobe, but not cob?  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cob_(material)

I've helped to build cob structures.  It's very easy to work with, and requires only sand, clay, water and straw (well, fibrous material).  If I were making my own house in a situation like TFC, I'd start with a lean-to while I spend time noting what in the area can be foraged and finding reliable fresh water sources.  If the area I was in wasn't sufficient to support me food and water wise, I'd move on and keep constructing a lean-to while I scout the area.  After I found a suitable area, I'd be looking to make a cob house.  

Cob doesn't require building molds, but generally requires that you can build a framework for your structure.  The OP's idea about placing sticks would be sufficient, especially if the sticks could be lashed at junctions using animal sinew.  Perhaps the ability to last sticks together into more structurally sound support beams would be useful as well.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0