Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CreepyD

Should chiselling eat so many chisels?

9 posts in this topic

Absolutely love the chisel and what you can do with blocks.

However, is it only me that thinks it eats up chisels waaaay too much?

I mean I just carved a single corner block from wood - you know where you have an exact diagonal roof that meets at the corner, like the old corner step but 8 steps in the block.

That single block took 1/4 of my bronze chisel - meaning I'll be able to carve a whopping 4 blocks with it.

I would hope to get at least 10-20 blocks carving from a bronze chisel myself so I can actually enjoy chiselling things.

Or do the higher tier metals improve this a lot?

I can imagine making some red steel chisel and managing something like 8 blocks at this rate lol

In the short term there isn't an easy way I can alter this (in a .cfg file or something?) is there?

Personally, I think the deterioration of a chisel should happen in accordance with the difference between the hardness of the material the chisel is made of and what is being chiseled.  That being said, I don't know if TFC models material hardness at all, but as a general rule, any metal chisel should effectively last forever when used solely on wood...even copper.  Perhaps when used on stone, they could last longer or shorter depending on whether the stone is metamorphic, sedimentary, igneous extrusive or igneous intrusive.  Granite and basalt would, for instance, damage a metal chisel much sooner than rock salt would.  In that case, however, certain chisels should be disallowed from certain rock types.  A copper chisel would be near useless on very hard rocks.

I agree that would be great and make much more sense.

It seems at present though it's just a standard amount of damage per mini block chiseled.

A word of warning, unrelated to the chisel itself. 

I made a slated roof using basalt stone with the 8 steps like you described. It's got about 80 blocks in it and looks absolutely stunning.

The only problem is that once I finished around 70% of the build it started lagging and even crashing minecraft sometimes.

I've got 8gb ram + i5 3570k so I expected a bit more.

The limit for me seems to be around 50 visible craved blocks in one area. Once I go over that minecraft starts scting up.

Here's an image of the roof. It's a shame that it doesn't work because it took ages. I was going to add an even bigger section to it and finish with a thatched cottage connected to it. Unfortuantely it's just too comlpex.

Posted Image

Don't forget you can make blueprints - make one detailed block and then duplicate it. I forget what the tool wear is like on blueprints, I think it eats hammers too.

Thanks dutchraptor, I'll see how it goes detail-wise.

I have luckily just had a PC upgrade, I was running at 20-30fps, now 90-100 - although I've just applied the sonic ether shader pack so I'm back to 20-30, but it looks amazing!

For blueprints, you need to find some standard reeds right to make the paper? (That's not entirely clear in the wiki)

And I assume you can't rotate the plan? Does it carve it facing the same way?

No problem.

No you can't rotate the plan. It always carves facing the same way.

It's quite frustrating, there's over 9 or 10 different blueprints in this build. It took ages and I'm in creative here.

Good luck, post some pics in the chisel creation thread if all goes well.

For the purpose of the slanted roof, why not use carpenters blocks mod? I know you can't get the hammer and chisel of carpenter's blocks in survival, but if you're in creative, you can just spawn them in.

I'm just saying because the chisel in TFC is meant in my opinion for more for artistic, detailed stuff.

I do think it takes too much durability.  If not for the game breaking lag caused, I would have every single block chiseled up.  Did you know that you can (in single player) edit the NBT data to make the block appear as nearly anything?  I've made some nice trimmed hedge sculptures in the past using that.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0