Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AwesoMan3000

Sandstone

18 posts in this topic

My favourite block in vanilla Minecraft is sandstone (and it`s also vanilla coloured) and I was kinda disappointed to see that you can't obtain a block like it in survival. This gave me an idea that we could maybe craft different sandstones from different sands? Placing one sand block in the grid would produce one sandstone rock of the sand's type, which could be used with another 3 to make a Sandstone Cobblestone, like the regular Sandstone from vanilla. You could then use a Chisel in smoothing mode to turn this into Smooth Sandstone, and again would make a block that looks like the top texture of sandstone on all 6 sides. You could also use a new chisel mode to make two new variants: Creeper Chiseled Sandstone (like the Chiseled regular sandstone from vanilla) and Wither Chiseled Sandstone (which looks like the upcoming Chiseled Red Sandstone in vanilla).

Putting a sandstone rock in a Quern would return the sand block, and any of the sandstone blocks would return 4 of the respective sand.

Melting Sandstone would return a glass block which is tougher than regular glass.

please reply with opinions.

Well, I think one issue would be that while you can combine rocks to make cobblestone, trying to combine sand into sandstone doesn't work in real life.  A goal of this mod is believablity, and while it will break from this constraint in cases where enjoyable gameplay is at stake, I don't think that this would qualify in the eyes of most of the player base.

Now, adding sandstone back in as a rock type, and maybe using some of the vanilla textures as the textures for sandstone's smooth, cobble, and brick forms, would likely be acceptable to most.

We could always use a different compression method. Like maybe placing sand block underwater, and waiting a few in game months? Or adding a compressor machine?

Sand is pretty commonly found under water (at least IRL, gravel seems far more common in tfc), so the idea that just sticking some sand under water and waiting a while will compress it into stone doesn't really pass a believability sniff-test for me. As for a compressor machine... powered by what? That kind of mechanical device is not really within the scope of tfc's design...

Part of me would be be happy to see sandstone layers under sand in world generation, possibly even in all the same mineral varieties, but another part of me would rage face over yet another non-mutually-stackable variety of functionally identical cruft to clog up my inventory, so... :shrug: dunno.

if anything, we would add sandstone as a rock type.

The compressor would probably use pistons.

Oh wait.

But mabye, it could be a p,Ayer-made device that requires water to flow over sand, and this would form sandstone rocks in the corners. Or mabye have it go under heavy blocks. Having sandstone generate naturally instead would be pretty good anyway.

No compressor, at least for as long as we dont have mechanical power in TFC.

It could however be added as another layer just bellow sand. It would require creating texture for as many different sands we have on the mod.

It's believable and it could be a nice addition for building.

I'm not sure about the 'for as many different sands we have' bit.

I mean, we have a dirt and sand for each and every type of stone, right?

So if we have sandstone like that.... we'd get stuff like basalt sandstone or saltstone sandstone or stuff like that. Kinda seems weird in my opinion.

I'd prefer sandstone to be a type of sedimentary rock, and have a nice yellow-y orange-ish color, since no stone(and therefor, no sand) has a yellow/orange colour, but then, we'll have stuff like sandstone sand, which sounds weird, and sandstone dirt, which is even weirder.

I suppose we can have sandstone be a stone only in deserts or something... but I have no idea how that'd work so.... yeah.....

According to the Wikipedia:

Sandstone (sometimes known as arenite) is a clastic sedimentary rock composed mainly of sand-sized minerals or rock grains.

Most sandstone is composed of quartz and/or feldspar because these are the most common minerals in the Earth's crust. Like sand, sandstone may be any color, but the most common colors are tan, brown, yellow, red, grey, pink, white and black. Since sandstone beds often form highly visible cliffs and other topographic features, certain colors of sandstone have been strongly identified with certain regions.

I am not sure that we need to have one sandstone for each stone in the game, but IRL sandstone is a beautiful material and If implemented into the mod I think we should have a wide variety of colors.

By the way we do have blue, green, purple and the whole rainbow of sandstone colors in real life, is not just orange and yellow.

I know, but.... do we need the whole rainbow-colors?

I personally think since we already have rocks shades of green, gray, black, and so forth, a rock of yellow colour would be nice.

Though, I would love to have a purple stone to build with.

Yeah, I was originally just wanting a chisel-able block (not the detail type) in the game.

So about melting sandstone to get tougher glass?

I don't see the reason for a tougher glass.

Explosions in TFC are really rare, so having a more blast-resistant block is kinda moot, and if having a block take longer to break is just annoying, you know?

Maybe if sandstone makes glass the same color as the sandstone? or maybe it makes opaque glass?

Not sure , but I think glass is glass made of sand or sandstone it will break the same way and the color depended more on other minerals added when melting. Not a glass maker myself so not sure.

I would like to see sandstone make an appearence in terrafirmacraft. But it should not be in worldgen imo. There are already too much different blocks, I think if it would be added that it you should craft it or make it in a barral or something.

The new terrain generation makes it so we have gravel under dirt. I think it would be cool if we had sandstone under sand. I understand it one more block to a mod that already has so many, but I think is needed and wanted by many players.

sandstone doesn't form under sand like that. Sandstone forms underwater the same way limestone, chalk, shale, and claystone form. Having sandstone but not treating it as another sedimentary rock wouldn't make sense.

sandstone doesn't form under sand like that. Sandstone forms underwater the same way limestone, chalk, shale, and claystone form. Having sandstone but not treating it as another sedimentary rock wouldn't make sense.

What are you talking about Dunk? Sandstone obviously forms from sand under (lithospheric) pressure. As such the grains are cemented together. Temperature helps to speed up the cementation process at pressure. 

What are you talking about Dunk? Sandstone obviously forms from sand under (lithospheric) pressure. As such the grains are cemented together. Temperature helps to speed up the cementation process at pressure. 

I misspoke; you are correct that sandstones don't have to form underwater, but the cementation process involved in lithification requires an immense amount of pressure to progress beyond the initial stage of eogenisis. I couldn't find exact numbers for the requirements for cementation, but wikipedia says here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clastic_rock#Shallow_burial_.28eogenesis.29 that eogenisis (distinct from mesogenisis, which is when sandstone actually forms, and is defined as "deep burial" as opposed to "shallow burial" for eogenisis) can take place at depths of a few metres to tens of metres. It's safe to assume that mesogenisis occurs significantly deeper or at least as deep as the upper bound for eogenisis, thus making it impossible for mesogenisis to occur beneath deserts in TFC; they're much too shallow. The sand that forms in deserts may one day form sandstone if it is buried under a very large amount of sediment or is covered by a sea, as the pressure of the water helps the process to occur, but will most likely remain as a loose sediment until then.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0