Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Hygiliak

Topple the pillars!

6 posts in this topic

I am a hardcore player and I enjoy trying to survive in TFC until my inevitable demise. There are various ways you can cheese the game to allow you to survive when you otherwise shouldn't have. While digging a hole can be cheesy, it can still be challenging to get out of the hole without being killed by a creeper or an armoured mob. The pillars, however, are inexcusable. There is no drawback to this strategy. Just gather a lot of thatch in the first day, make sure you got some food and that there's fresh water nearby, and at the end of the day, pillar up to a safe hight. This strategy has NEVER failed me.

The reason I am picking on pillaring is that it both kills believability and it is very easy to fix(conceptually at least): Don't allow the placing of blocks while jumping.

Without this strategy, players will be forced to develop actual survival skills, not to mention building skills (scaffoldings and the like... yum).

Discuss!

TLRD: End the tyranny of pillars: don't allow placing blocks while jumping!

P.S. I know you can still make 2-blocks wide pillars by placing blocks on the side of the first column, move on it, pace block on the first column, jump on it, rinse and repeat; this, however, takes a lot more time and requires you to gather twice as much thatch, making it more of a hassle than it's worth.

[EDIT] - I see this topic has been discussed to death in another thread two years ago... you may close this

Edited by Hygiliak

I like your idea of "no placing blocks while jumping." Seems like an elegant fix. Somebody mentioned in the great long ago that thatch towers were going to be nerfed, but I've not heard anything about it recently or in the SotM posts.

Apparently the problem a lot of people in that thread complained about is that if you fall down a 1 block hole without a pick, you are stuck forever...

I would consider that a fair trade, but hey... that's just me :)

This fix was implemented in Better Than Wolves about a year ago

It really didn't solve the problem. You could still do it as long as you pillared higher than skeleton range

It just makes pillaring twice as expensive in blocks. It is realistic not being able to jump and place blocks though

If TFC was fantasy based, they could solve it by spawning dragons if players go to high elevations.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any flying modern animals that could be used....Pterosaurs would be really cool, but thats outside the TFC timeline

If TFC was fantasy based, they could solve it by spawning dragons if players go to high elevations.Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any flying modern animals that could be used....Pterosaurs would be really cool, but thats outside the TFC timeline

What you are suggesting is that you die when you climb too high?Then you'd never be allowed to climb mountains ...

Combat -->danger which may or may not create death

Basically the problem is: if players pillar up, there is no danger. An obvious solution is to create some danger if players do that

Of course given the mentioned sources of danger were dinosaurs and dragons....... well new sources of danger are needed