Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Udary

Has WorldGen changed?

20 posts in this topic

I have a world which was created in version...old. I wanted to experiment with something and tried to recreate using the same seed in the latest version (with graphite fixes/changes). The world is COMPLETELY different. 

So, I assuming the changes to graphite spawning have affected the RNG of world creation, can someone confirm this?

To resolve this can I create the world on a server using the old version (without any users logging into that world), then migrate that world to 79.15. Is the WorldGen enough to seed the new world in the old structure but use the new version of the graphite changes, or will the world diverge because of these changes as a user connects and creates new chunks??

The worldgen that has to do with the shape of terrain has not changed since 0.79.0, the only way that you would see any massive differences using the same world seed is if it was a build 78 or prior world, which is standard practice as TFC is not backwards compatible.

All world generation happens at one time, when the chunk is loaded. If you generate a world in a version prior to 79.15, and then reload it using 79.15, the chunks that were initially loaded will not have the graphite fix, and the chunks that are loaded afterwards will.

There is no such thing as retroactive world generation in TFC.

I'm confused then... which is a perfectly reasonable answer, a lot of partying has happened over the last few weeks... :o

I have a world which was created in version...old.

Can you be at least a little more specific? Do you remember if the world was generated using build 79, or build 78, or an even earlier build?

My original world was generated using versions 79.08 to 79.11; Compared to 79.15 they are very different and I assume it's related to the graphite changes.

I know the world generation changed significantly between 78 and 79 and I'm very disappointed about that, I loved my 78 seed.

There's been absolutely no change in world gen shape between 79.8 and 79.15, if there was you would see all sorts of reports of people seeing weird chunk border changes when they generate new terrain after updating.

Are you absolutely positive that you used the correct seed to regenerate the world? It's much more likely you made a mistake with a single digit, which would explain the hugely different world.

Edit: If you want to test, just grab an old copy of 79.8 off of the Older Versions section of the downloads page, and load up a world using the specific seed. Take note of the terrain around you, as well as your location (X, Y, Z coordinates). Close out the game, and swap out 79.8 with 79.15. On the title screen, select the world but do not load it. Instead on the bottom right click re-create. That guarantees that the world generated will use the exact same world seed. Once again, take note of the terrain and your location. If you spawned at a different location, teleport to the location from the original world and see if the terrain matches.

If I did make a mistake I did it 3 times :( But I'll reconfirm in the next few days. I'm away at the moment...

Have you tried downloading 79.8 and using that to generate the seed to see if it matches? That will instantly tell you if you made a mistake or not.

If I did make a mistake I did it 3 times :( But I'll reconfirm in the next few days. I'm away at the moment...

Perhaps you took the wrong number down? One key point is the seed can be negative and leaving off the minus sign will cause the world to be completely different.

I must confirm what Kitty wrote: I just recreated my world with 0.79.0 and I got the exact same terrain (as in 0.79.15) - only different trees and animals - but spawn point was at a different location (or I just forgot the real old spawn point).

Check your coordinates in both worlds...

I must confirm what Kitty wrote: I just recreated my world with 0.79.0 and I got the exact same terrain (as in 0.79.15) - only different trees and animals - but spawn point was at a totally different location.Check your coordinates in both worlds...

How totally different? Spawn is supposed to be pretty fixed per seed. If it weren't, the seed sharing forum would be pretty much useless. There is some variation, but it's in the tens of blocks in each direction (plus or minus 20 if I recall correctly).

Ok, thanks for checking guys. I must have partied harder than I thought. 

How different, very different, my original world I started on the coast and if I head SE for about 400 I find a medium sized island in a reasonable sized lake with a narrow land bridge. Very cool, and starter safe-ish. Zombies are terrible swimmers.

In the new world I started in a forest... no coast or lake to be found.

I'll check again when I can.

How totally different? Spawn is supposed to be pretty fixed per seed. If it weren't, the seed sharing forum would be pretty much useless. There is some variation, but it's in the tens of blocks in each direction (plus or minus 20 if I recall correctly).

Now I am not sure, probably memory is tricking me - I'm playing this world for 2 in-game years and didn't stay at spawn since there was no clay nearby, I had searched long, lot of swimming involved, to find clay. I just can't remember starting on such a small island.My base region was also hard to recognize at first, missing lots of trees since tree generation changed, but the terrain is definitively the same: same lakes, same beaches, same ravines, found tetrahedrite and exposed coal at the same place...

Ok, thanks for checking guys. I must have partied harder than I thought.  How different, very different, my original world I started on the coast and if I head SE for about 400 I find a medium sized island in a reasonable sized lake with a narrow land bridge. Very cool, and starter safe-ish. Zombies are terrible swimmers. In the new world I started in a forest... no coast or lake to be found. I'll check again when I can.

forest? I am pretty sure that tree generation has changed and more trees are being generated (mostly affecting sequoias in my world). It was hard to recognize my base region in the test world generated with 0.79.0 because of that. But it was easy to confirm that it is the same terrain after installing a mini-map mod. Also the (long) way to my tetrahedrite mine has the same landmarks (beaches, lakes, hills) just missing the bridge I build.

Sorry for the delay, I recreated the world and all seems well. It is the original world. Which got me really confused, so I went to one of the worlds I didn't delete and found it's seed. Completely different.

I have NO idea what I was doing to get it wrong 3 times in a row, and the same wrong.... Sorry for the waste of time :(

Ores generation is really changed in 79.15

This is the same seed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have not tested, but due to graphite spawning being fixed in 79.15 it is possible that the ore distributions have changed a bit. However in general there are some differences in exactly which blocks are ore every time you generate the seed. If you used /stripchunk in debug you would see a vein whose epicenter is always in same chunk, but size and shape varies.

An experiment with /stripchunk has finished.

Ores textures was changed for better clarity according to the scheme:

Posted Image

Screens are from JourneyMap mod.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are cardinal changes in the ore's generation.

An experiment with /stripchunk has finished.

Now run that exact same experiment again, only using 79.15, using the same seed to recreate the same world multiple times. You'll see that the ore generation moves around then too.

Ok.

Multiply recreated the same world.

Posted Image

79.15 (3 times)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image