Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Demonic

[Solved] Failing to pinpoint graphite

6 posts in this topic

Hello there folks, 

I have one question... how large are the graphite veins? In my mine I came across traces of graphite, but no matter where I dig I can't get better readings. Up, down, north, south, east, west, nothing works. And I was able to locate at least three other ore veins without a problem, but this graphite I just can't.

Graphite veins are generally large enough that you'll get readings larger than just traces. However, it's entirely possible that a cave has gone through the vein, or the stone type changes in the middle of the vein, or a bunch of other things that might have happened to make it so the full size vein doesn't actually have very many graphite blocks in it.

Well I used up nearly 3/4 of propick on it and nothing. I think I just ditch this one and try to find another, I live above a massive quartzstone layer so there should be some other graphite here...

Happened to me too with a gold mine. The problem was easy: I caught the vein at the edge, exactly diagonal above. In addition was was tight and very vertical. So digging down or horizontal did not bring me any closer to the center of the vein and thus the reading stayed at "traces of gold".

Try some exploratory with an diagonal offset of a half propick range (e.g. 6 east, 6 north). You will likely find a "medium" reading somewhere and get a better idea where it hides. In case you find a cave or stone that can not contain graphite, as Kitty explained, you might have been unlucky.

Best of luck anyhow! Good news is, once you got enough graphite you will not need much more.

I've looked at a lot of in game ore spawning for my pack. It was not uncommon to find veins of less than 5 ores. I've even seen isolated ore blocks. Just an RNG thing. It is anecdotal, but very small veins were more common with minerals. Probably observational bias though.

Many ores will spawn "isolated" pockets of ore nearish to the main vein, containing anywhere from 1 to about 8 (in my experience) so those can throw off propick readings because you pick them up when you are farther from the main area than you would otherwise need to be to get anything.