Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
TonyLiberatto

tfc tiles

16 posts in this topic

I have a bukkit Cauldron server and am trying to reduce the Lag.

When I use the /mem command it gives me the number of entities and of tiles that are loaded in the server.

Would anyone be so kind as to let me know what exactly would show as entities and what woul show as tile?

I understand that players and animals are entitities, but have no idea what else.

Also for tiles, I just learned that tiled soil count as tile.

Anvils, Barrels, Bellows, Berry Bushes, Blast Furnaces, Bloom Blocks, Bloomeries, Chests, Crops, Crucibles, Chiseled Detailed Blocks, Farmland, Fence Gates, Firepits, Food Prep, Forges, Fruit Leaves, Fruit Tree Wood, Grills, Hoppers, Ingot Piles, Leather Racks, Torches, Log Piles, Looms, Metal Sheets, Metal Trap Doors, Nest Boxes, Oil Lamps, Ore Blocks, Pottery, Querns, Saplings, Sluices, Smoke Racks, Protection Meters, Armor Stands, Tool Racks, Large Vessels, Water Plants, Placed Lumber, and Debris (Rocks, Sticks, Ore, etc on the ground)

That should be all the tile entities that TFC adds. Basically, a tile entity is any block that has any data associated with it besides a damage value.

It's kind of funny. We were all in the server talking and I told people, hey lets just hope for Kitty to be online. because I know if she is she will answer.

Thank you very much kitty. we all appreciate.

The most likely culprits are tiled soil and fruit trees. People tend to have a ton of those even though they don't really need them. It's just fun to build large farms.

If you have Opis installed you can check to see how many of each kind of tile entities are loaded and how much CPU time they are using.

Thanks insane, I do have Opis, just have to put it more to use.

The list contains  Chiseled Detailed Blocks, What about Slabs and stairs? Are they also considered as Tile?

Fighting Lag in minecraft servers is a constant. Moded Servers have it even harded. I now have one more reason to ask for slabs and stairs to be made into actual blocks. Yeah I know it would mean a bigger creative inventory, but so what?

Yeah sorry Kitty, just venting , I know you already answer no to this. I still think is a good idea. I wish I could make it myself.

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/6254-add-slabs-and-stairs-as-a-creative-block-edited/

There's two types of tile entities in Minecraft. Ticking, and non-ticking. Slabs and stairs are non-ticking, because they don't need to constantly update any of their data. Non-ticking tile entities cause pretty much no more lag than a normal block.

Provided the server hardware is fast enough and you have enough RAM allocated, the amount of tile entities won't be a problem unless you hit 15K. Look at the combined CPU time for any given type of tile entity to see if there's a problem there. Also keep an eye on mobs. People tend to put a lot of them in small closures which can cause high server load.

when I use the /mem command the server sometimes will show around 400 entities and 150,000 tiles. We do not have a big LAG issue in the server, 

This is our system:

• [*]CPU Model: 
Intel® Core i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz [*]CPU Details: 4 Core (2971 MHz) [*]Distro Name: CentOS release 6.6 (Final) [*]Memory RAM:  8GB

So as you can see not the best. Luckily most of our players concentrate in big towns instead of a lot of small towns spread around the sever. We rum smooth up to 15 players, then it start to get some LAG.

As the server is in a growing phase I want to prevent the issue .

Thanks for all the help.

BTW we have Multicraft installed, and have allocated 4GB to this server. 1GB to the Stoneage Server and the rest is used by the OS and the TS server that we run out of the same box. 

That's a dual core CPU with hyper threading. It can run 4 threads simultaneously. So it should fine for running two Minecraft servers, TS and the OS. Also RAM shouldn't be an issue with ~15 players. You may be able to increase RAM to 5GB which can help if you go beyond 20 players.

Keep in mind that when you type /mem you get an answer from the Spigot part of Cauldron. This part isn't entirely accurate in reporting things like TPS and loaded entities. Forge and mods like Opis do a better job in that regard. As for memory usage I have found that looking at the OS level to see how much the Minecraft instance is actually using is the most reliable. If you have shell access (SSH, Putty) than using the 'top' command can show you how much each process is using. Press 'c' to see file path and press '1' to toggle usage per CPU core.

Top should also give you a good indication of how much CPU time your Minecraft servers are using. CPU time is given in % of 1 CPU core. You have 2 cores and 2 virtual cores (hyper threading) These two aren't as fast as the first two, but they're OK. So when you see Minecraft using a little more than 100% CPU time that doesn't mean there's a problem. Quite a bit of the server tasks are multi-threaded because you are using Cauldron and not regular Forge. So as long as the total CPU load isn't maxed out (press 1 to see total / per core), the server isn't CPU bound.

There's two types of tile entities in Minecraft. Ticking, and non-ticking. Slabs and stairs are non-ticking, because they don't need to constantly update any of their data. Non-ticking tile entities cause pretty much no more lag than a normal block.

You don't happen to have a list handy of the ticking tile entities?

Edited by Lenaco

It's easier to just give you a list of the non-ticking tile entities. The thing to remember is that there are tile entities that are ticking, or there can be blocks which receive random update ticks or player interaction which then trigger a change in the tile entity. Only the former would be a major source of lag, because it is constantly updating. A good general rule of thumb is anything that is frequently updating information, or a container that can hold items that can either cool down or decay will be a ticking tile entity. There may be a few other tile entities on this list that could be switched to be non-ticking for slight optimisation, but that will have to wait for another day.

Confirmed Non-TIcking:

Berry Bushes, Chiseled Blocks (Detailed, Stairs, Slabs), Fence Gates, Fruit Leaves, Ingot Piles, Torches, Log Piles, Looms, Metal Sheets, Metal Trap Doors, Oil Lamps, Ore Blocks, Saplings, Water Plants, Placed Lumber, and Debris (Rocks, Sticks, Ore, etc on the ground)