Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Miklosh

Make water fill halfblocks, stairs, doors, sugarcane, torches, etc.

15 posts in this topic

It's nonsence and looks really bad.

Also, people shall breathe underwater no longer.

Also, let water flow through tall grass and saplings, but it should destroy planted seeds, because they are in the ploughed ground.

'Also, people shall breathe underwater no longer'

Of all the stupid ideas....

Why would you make 2 meters of water equate to death? I should hope that you've just made a typo there

and no, this idea isnt that hard, and just requires a little rendering work on the blocks. the problem lays in with how much time must be sunk into this to get something we don't need. Mechanics first, ascetics last. Too many artists get caught in the details.

eyeehhh, isnt this rather impossible to do without completely rewriting fluid mechanics?

seeing as those blocks occupy a whole block space in water perspectives, i just dont think it can be done

the problem lays in with how much time must be sunk into this to get something we don't need. Mechanics first, ascetics last. Too many artists get caught in the details.

Well, ok.

Ahahahahahahahahaha no.

Not sure what game ECC plays, but you'd have to recode all nonsolid blocks

put a little more thought into your next suggestion please

From what i heard, those blocks have air there because the air is hard-coded in there. You technically can make a non-solid block which has any other block -including liquids- instead of air. The problem is, as it is hard coded, you can't make a non-solid block which can have either air or water filling in the rest of the block, depending on the sorroundings. It just won't work.

I'm sure someone with actual knowledge about minecraft code can explain this a lot better than i can... : but it's the basic idea. I think.

Well, it wouldn't actually have to have water in the cut/shaped blocks, just if it was borderiing water on the non solid side it would replicate the water. However basically every block with a hollow section would have to be coded to do this, as mentioned above.

If anyone has played with the runecraft mod, they do something like the suggestion to an extent. Basically you can use a hammer/chisel tool to cut grooves in blocks, then place water or lava in the grooved block and it will flow into other grooved blocks with connecting grooves. This is however a singular mechanic with level fluids, not variable water levels and angles replicating every possible angle and flow.

Another possible way to handle this would be to have water calculate and assume a microblock system of sorts in which water can see the empty space in the blocks and flow into the gaps. Again the problem here is that every block with hollow space would have to be coded so that each pixel of hollow space is recognized as empty, instead of air. Or possibly a bounding box recognition but I don't know how well that would work or look.

Its not a horrible idea, but its a wow that a ton of work for a small aesthetic gain kind of idea.

Well, it wouldn't actually have to have water in the cut/shaped blocks, just if it was borderiing water on the non solid side it would replicate the water. However basically every block with a hollow section would have to be coded to do this, as mentioned above.

If anyone has played with the runecraft mod, they do something like the suggestion to an extent. Basically you can use a hammer/chisel tool to cut grooves in blocks, then place water or lava in the grooved block and it will flow into other grooved blocks with connecting grooves. This is however a singular mechanic with level fluids, not variable water levels and angles replicating every possible angle and flow.

Another possible way to handle this would be to have water calculate and assume a microblock system of sorts in which water can see the empty space in the blocks and flow into the gaps. Again the problem here is that every block with hollow space would have to be coded so that each pixel of hollow space is recognized as empty, instead of air. Or possibly a bounding box recognition but I don't know how well that would work or look.

Its not a horrible idea, but its a wow that a ton of work for a small aesthetic gain kind of idea.

yeah i agree it would be nice, but it would be way too much work for what it's worth

From what i heard, those blocks have air there because the air is hard-coded in there. You technically can make a non-solid block which has any other block -including liquids- instead of air. The problem is, as it is hard coded, you can't make a non-solid block which can have either air or water filling in the rest of the block, depending on the sorroundings. It just won't work.

I'm sure someone with actual knowledge about minecraft code can explain this a lot better than i can... : but it's the basic idea. I think.

I think you got the closest to a solution.

Two blocks for stairs - one for under water, one for under air. Then have it detect surrounding blocks and change between the two accordingly. It is certainly possible to have blocks detect surroundings. How else would cobblestone fall or smooth stone drop?

This would require modding base classes.

You could fake the other blocks having water ,that probably wouldn't be that hard.

Just detect the water levels around it and pick the right one using the water level code.

However, to get the water on either side of the block to act right you would have to change the water base classes.

Otherwise water would just stop at blocks, it would also still try and flow around it, which would look weird, and likely be more confusing.

'Also, people shall breathe underwater no longer'

Of all the stupid ideas....

Why would you make 2 meters of water equate to death? I should hope that you've just made a typo there

I think what they mean is that you can use signs/ladders to "breathe" underwater.

This seems like a feature that would be packed with optifine, not terra fima.

This seems like a feature that would be packed with optifine, not terra fima.

Um, no. Optifine is a graphical mod. The suggestion to make water actually flow through stuff isn't strictly graphical at all.

There still a problem. As you remember, the surface of water is not always a horisontal plane - it could have non-90 angles on both general directions. The more realistic solution is to make an every non-solid block being able to contain and conduct liquid, depending on it's geometry. Obviously, it cannot be done simple, effective and in less then year - all you have is two bytes per block, there is no wai to deal with it.

// Wet dreams below

If we have a octotree-world, where cubic volume could be solid or divided on 8 parts - the problem disappears. Just do the stairs 1 cubic meter cube w/o 2 subblocks.

But we have not.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0