Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

Volcanoes in TFC2.   57 members have voted

1. 1. You want see this idea in TFC2?

• Yes, I want see this idea in this form
    • Yes, but idea sould be to refine (Please leave comment)
    • No, I don't want volcanoes in TFC in any form

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 posts in this topic

Indeed, in soil volcanic ash is not very deadly. A wet towel over your mouth and nose and that blocks a large majority of the particles. Java has 150 million people after all; volcanic ash can't be that harmful?

Indeed, in soil volcanic ash is not very deadly. A wet towel over your mouth and nose and that blocks a large majority of the particles. Java has 150 million people after all; volcanic ash can't be that harmful?

Airborne and in sufficient quantities it's lethal. Once it's settled it's fine assuming you don't shove your face into it and snort it like coke.

Good point about wet towels, though.

Airborne and in sufficient quantities it's lethal. Once it's settled it's fine assuming you don't shove your face into it and snort it like coke.

Well then.

Nice idea - but bear in mind that the majority of volcanoes on Earth are extinct - or dormant - only in a few places in the world are there still volcanoes considered to be "active".  

However much I like the ravines in TFC, I do feel that they are a tad to common - we should make sure that volcanoes aren't the new ravines... :)

Yeah but the beginning of this game is 3.2 million years ago during the paleolithic era (old stone age) so I would think that more volcanoes would still be active, because they haven't dried up their hotspot yet.

On November 19, 2015 at 8:36 PM, TonyLiberatto said:

I can think of 2 ideas:

Some ore or mineral that can only be found close to volcanoes.

A special Boss Monster that throes fireballs and drops some special item . The player would need to wear blue steel armor to help with the fire balls. Even the weapons would need to be blue steel.

Specific resources is a good point and I agree. One such thing most commonly found in volcanos is diamonds. Some volcanoes do have diamonds on the sides of the mouth abundantly, though collecting them would be hazardous.

Some other points I would like to state are that they would only need 1-2 types of volcanoes and probably the more commonly depicted types should be used.

I do support this idea though it needs to be refined and possibly reduced in the scale of what is suggested.

Edited by TheUnknownSpecimen
Change of wording

how has nobody mentioned the idea of obsidian tools (unless i missed it oc :P). I mean the aztecs did actually make their tools of out the stuff, and it was quite effective due to it's hardness and sharpness. Could be a way to get good tools without doing much metallurgy if you spawn close enough to a volcano.

The problem with obsidian is that it is very brittle. So when making a knife it would be easy to make a very sharp knife, but it breaks easily. There is no way to make a pickaxe out of obsidian. Even for an axe is complicated.

They had a kind of sword/club called Macuahuitl that was made by encrusting small obsidian blades into a wooden club. Very efficient.  Not sure it is worth to code into the game as we already have swords.

I could see it as a kind of sword before you have metal, but to balance the game and keep it believable it would need to have a very low durability.

yes, i probably should've put that into my original post. Obsidian would of course have very low durability and only be able to make the tools that you can make stone out of. It would essentially work like stone tools, but have slightly lower durability and MUCH higher damage. It would be an early game item. Obsidian however could also have a much more important later game use using the magic system (or maybe in some sort of alloy, i don't really know at this point :P)