Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Crysyn

Only help if you can be helpful

Hey All, A topic has come up of late in the IRC channel in regards to the general feel of the forums and the community that supports them. Things have progressed further than I would have liked with out this being addressed more publicly because I would much rather have snubbed this out sooner rather than later.. but I have been busy. Here is the general rule I would like people to follow: Wheaton's Law "Don't be a dick." Those of you from the IRC channel know that this is the only rule I ask people in there to follow and we generally have a good and lively time chatting about all manner of things. This is basic rule that just about everyone understands and I am going to expand it to the forums from here moving forward. If you can not help people in a helpful and polite manner then I simply ask you to stop. Now I generally take a back seat to moderating the forums as I like to participate in the suggestions forum fairly heavily at times and would rather do so as a forums user than a moderator. But I am also fairly well known for being the person who constantly puts their foot down and so I am stepping up and doing so on here. If you find yourself unable to respond to a message politely then I ask that you do not respond. This mostly focuses on the increasing level of hostility found within the Suggestion forum as well as the Server forum. I do not care if this is the 30th some odd time you have seen someone make the same suggestion. Or even if the new post on an older topic is one entry above the old one. I expect the members of this forum to respond politely to the user, new or old, and point to the older topic if it applies and even go the extra step to suggest they either add in new information or to summarize the outcome of the previous discussion based upon the new post's entry into it. That is what we are here for, that is why I close most topics instead of deleting them, so that they can be found and referenced down the road. The next topic is the slew of derailment attempts I have seen as of late. If you want to have fun and joke around that is what the off topic forum is for and pretty much anything goes there. I do not expect to read a suggestion thread and have to go through 3 pages of image memes people have shot back and forth. Quite simply this is a waste of my time to read and then have to clean up. Now for the summary. I am going to start taking a more active role, especially in policing the suggestion forum, and handing out warn levels to people whom I see doing this. These will be indiscriminate and applied not to just the first person who derails or is impolite on a topic or response, but to everyone whom follows the lead of that person. As I do not like doing things with out giving you all warning this post shall serve as that warning. If you have a desire to bring this topic up with me then I invite you to do so on the IRC channel. Lets raise the level of quality and grow the community. Let us not descend into the quality often found on the minecraft or league of legend forums. There is simply no need for that here. Be passionate about things, just do not be abusive.
    • Kittychanley

Offline Servers

Recently I've seen a few server listings showing up on the first page of the Servers forum that have been closed for an extended period of time, but have recently gotten a reply from a new member who didn't realize the server is offline. To help prevent this from happening in the future, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the report function on the original post of any servers that have been confirmed as offline, so that the topic may be locked. If you are the admin of a server and plan on taking the server offline, please use the report function on the original post of your topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be locked. If you are the admin of a server that has a locked topic, and would wish to bring the server back online, please use the report function on the original post of the topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be unlocked. As always, please remember to follow rule #3 of the servers forum and update your topic title to contain the version of TFC that the server is currently running. You can do so by editing the OP, and then clicking on "Use Full Editor."
soulion

Apiculture in TFC2?

Do you think apiculture is a good idea for TFC2?   41 members have voted

1. 1. whats your opinion?

• yes,it is a great idea.
    • I like it,but it would be better if...(comment below)
    • This not a good idea because i dont like being stinged.
    • this is a idea that TFC2 doesnt need.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes.
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Honey bees might be nothing significant in TFC2 if they are added,but would be fairly interesting to get into.

Why should honeybees be added? To give the player something of a challenge to do in tfc if they are bored,give honey in a way to add to the flavor of food to help it suit your players taste,say your player likes sweeter foods but has bitter food so they use honey to counter it,it could also give a way to increase fertility of certain plants and give you a more bountiful harvest,it could also give honey in a way of food preservation for fruits(fact of the day:honey never spoils,they have found still edible honey in a egyptian tomb),the honey could be the start of a medicine system in tfc,as it is a natural anti biotic, and also raise awareness about honeybees and there fragile state of today.

What should honeybees be like if they were added to tfc? 

-Hives at the start of the game will be in hollow trees in temperate biomes,and near the equator they could be in holes and in trees with out much cover.

-a beginning player can use smoke to evacuate the bees and take the beeswax and honeycomb,making it a delicacy and a somewhat of a food source of food that never spoils,this is easy to do,but it will destroy the bee colony and they will die.the player can also have a farm with flowering species and the bees will increase your harvest,and will do better as well.

-Later in the game the player can possibily make use of skeps that could be made of clay and straw,and could be made with a weaving system later on if ever implemented.The player can collect swarms(could be done by shaking into burlap bag,swarms are docile usually), which are seeds of a existing hive and put it in these skeps,or have a small chance of them moving in depending on distance from a existing beehive.But,again,harvesting bees from these skeps result in destroying the entire hive.these skeps are also more likely to swarm due to being in a small space.hollowed logs could also be utilized like skeps.

-once the player has wood working tools,they can start building top bar hives and can have a frame management system,the pros of this means theres more sustainability with the honey bees with movable combs on bars.but a con is its more complicated than just burning the bees out,you must leave some honey with the bees in colder climates to survive the winter.

-the player could wear thick clothing and primitive veils to protect themselves from bees,and with the player being around 1000 HP,a single bee sting could  take 1 HP,and with it taking over a thousand bee stings for it to be life threatening,it plays perfectly in,but it could suck if they have an 200 HP player.

-The bees could look like what they are in forestry,or atleast in that way,it would be rediculous for them to be mobs,there are over 40,000 bees in a hive.you could see bees as an ambience feature(possibly we could have other insects as an ambience feature as well?that might be a later topi of mine.)if you see bees coming after you and bouncing off you,that means you are considered a threat and you will take random 1 HP damage that will increase in frequency unless your wearing a suit,and will leave you alone after you go a certain distance.

I hope i have made a good thesis for implementing honey bees in TFC2  and hope the developers will look into it.

I love the **** out of bees (Ah Muzen Cab!), and I would love to see them implemented with hives as you described, but with actual mobs. The way forestry grind my gears so much, and it feels that there is nothing happening except a block with AoE properties, it is very un-organic.

If you attack a hive bee mobs should come out and attack you, and I was thinking if this is possible, make them as small as possible (only a few pixels across) and have each hive have  ~20 worker bees, plus a queen. Worker bees would fly around to nearby flowers and back to the hive randomly, and if you start breaking the hive, or attack a worker bee the other bees would spawn at the hive and attack you, doing 10-30 damage but ignoring armor (unless you are wearing the  bee suit), and would fly very fast, and buzz around you, with about 40 HP each

I think bee breeding should be a thing, with hives making crops grow anywhere from a little to A LOT faster, depending on how good the bees are. Bears should attack beehives. Eating honey should reduce bad effects by 30~ seconds, as well as making bread tastier. 

there was a lot of things i didnt touch on about the bees,i am a bee keeper IRL actually.i just wanted some light shown about bees in tfc,but thank you for feed back!

I love the **** out of bees (Ah Muzen Cab!), and I would love to see them implemented with hives as you described, but with actual mobs. The way forestry grind my gears so much, and it feels that there is nothing happening except a block with AoE properties, it is very un-organic.

If you attack a hive bee mobs should come out and attack you, and I was thinking if this is possible, make them as small as possible (only a few pixels across) and have each hive have  ~20 worker bees, plus a queen. Worker bees would fly around to nearby flowers and back to the hive randomly, and if you start breaking the hive, or attack a worker bee the other bees would spawn at the hive and attack you, doing 10-30 damage but ignoring armor (unless you are wearing the  bee suit), and would fly very fast, and buzz around you, with about 40 HP each

I think bee breeding should be a thing, with hives making crops grow anywhere from a little to A LOT faster, depending on how good the bees are. Bears should attack beehives. Eating honey should reduce bad effects by 30~ seconds, as well as making bread tastier. 

I think this is a great idea for a TFC2 modpack.

(not in the core mod - too finicky)

I think this is a great idea for a TFC2 modpack.

(not in the core mod - too finicky)

This what i usually agree with many suggestions in the forums,because everyone has different opinions about them,add ons  give the player a choice to choose what they want and dont.

I think it'd be a fun addition, in combination with rebalancing of the food system.  Because without rebalancing food, I don't see much use for it.  The most obvious and immediate uses are crop related.  Having bees near your crops and fruit stuff causes them to yield more.  And I think that's a good use.  Because right now it's pretty easy to get food in all but the most extreme climates.  Fruit trees, especially.  I think fruit trees could be made to only yield a trivial amount per block, unless bees are nearby, then it increases to something like current.   IRL,  the bee industry is largely driven by actually transporting massive amounts of bees to the almond groves in California every year.  Huge industry.    So if someone doesn't want to bother with bees, natural beehives would be another bonus thing to look for near the base

Of course there's honey and wax, but they'd need real uses, otherwise why bother?  I don't think minor food taste alteration is enough.  Healing uses sound good though (in combination with other materials).  And wax can be worked into gemology (if it comes in) and probably be worked into magic somehow.  It might be fun to have bees propogate flowers as well, though not useful strictly speaking.

If you want to get really hardcore, then garden-grown crops would not produce seeds if not pollinated by bees (wild crops would always make seeds of course).

I could further imagine beekeeping clothing being made from burlap, giving a currently useless material a use.

The bee system itself could be as simple or as complicated as justified by the amount and importance of its uses, naturally.

Having bees near your crops and fruit stuff causes them to yield more.  And I think that's a good use.  Because right now it's pretty easy to get food in all but the most extreme climates.  Fruit trees, especially.  I think fruit trees could be made to only yield a trivial amount per block, unless bees are nearby, then it increases to something like current.   IRL,  the bee industry is largely driven by actually transporting massive amounts of bees to the almond groves in California every year.  Huge industry.   

Yes, I think fruit would bee a great niche for bees to fit into, as well as magic, but I think we would have to work out a magic system before we fit bees into it.

-The bees could look like what they are in forestry,or atleast in that way,it would be rediculous for them to be mobs,there are over 40,000 bees in a hive.you could see bees as an ambience feature(possibly we could have other insects as an ambience feature as well?that might be a later topi of mine.)if you see bees coming after you and bouncing off you,that means you are considered a threat and you will take random 1 HP damage that will increase in frequency unless your wearing a suit,and will leave you alone after you go a certain distance.

To add on to this idea, what if the bees had the ambience while in the hive, to show that the bees were working. The ambience changed based on how happy and productive your bees are (more particles/ less particles)

In addition, how about a mob that is a swarm of bees. Instead of having individual bees a swarm would just be rendered as many different ones but be one entity. A swarm could be docile, when it is looking to colonize, or angry, when you have provoked the hive. An angry swarm will attack the player dealing very little dammage, but as it looses hp the mob renders less and less bees.

This would be pretty rad! I'm guessing it would be fairly low on the backlog priority though :P

To add on to this idea, what if the bees had the ambience while in the hive, to show that the bees were working. The ambience changed based on how happy and productive your bees are (more particles/ less particles)

In addition, how about a mob that is a swarm of bees. Instead of having individual bees a swarm would just be rendered as many different ones but be one entity. A swarm could be docile, when it is looking to colonize, or angry, when you have provoked the hive. An angry swarm will attack the player dealing very little dammage, but as it looses hp the mob renders less and less bees.

I actually keep bees,and bee swarms are actually very docile,you can stick your hand in them and stuff.

Why does this thread keep on popping up? (grrrrr)

Why does this thread keep on popping up? (grrrrr)

Bee-cause it gets a lot of buzz!!!......!......

Maybe instead of going as far as plant cross breeding or mahogany doors (reference wink wink), just keep it simple? With random wild gives that you have to break and whilst you try and destroy them you get damage for each tick mining it or something. Then for all you apiarists you could have a simple apiary that over time made honey and produced grass and wild plants around it.

Great idea. I am a huge fan of bees. Forestry and Binnies mods are some of my favorite mods.

-Bee breading and care (feed them sugar/water)

-Bees increase crop growth (maybe add crop and tree breeding [agricraft])

-Mead, honey, Wax candes

To link this post with the animal husbandry one, the grass produced by beehives could help with animal keeping: in summer they would produce grass that would be eaten by the animals, or cut down as hay to give them in winter.

In addition to increasng (or being a requirement?) for crop growth/yield.

Edited by Donjons

If bee mobs are added the could be bred for defensive purposes, to attack hositile mobs, again I think it's really important for some kind of bee mobs to be added, without them it feels horribly stale and bland. (forestry)

I am one of those who hate Forestry. It is too grindy and takes too long to be useful. If there were to be bees in tfc2 let it just be for making an alternative to sugarcane and nothing more.

Sorry to necro this, but I for one would love to keep bees. (cant irl due to sucky city life)

Also, I believe beeswax was also used as a sealant to aid in preservation and watertightness.

The medicinal properties of honey can be used for makeshift treatment of wounds.

Mead of course.

Symbiotic relationship of flowering plants and bees. Bees help plants reproduce and plants help bees gather more nectar for honey.

The taste profile of honey (and consequently mead and preserved food) could be affected by surrounding plants (crops, trees, flowers)

Plus it would be nice for hobbyists who like to use games to relax.

Again, sorry for the necro, but I am hoping for this to either be a mod or core part of TFC2

On 10/29/2015 at 5:53 PM, soulion said:

there was a lot of things i didnt touch on about the bees,i am a bee keeper IRL actually.i just wanted some light shown about bees in tfc,but thank you for feed back!

Dude, you rock.

On 3/3/2017 at 4:58 PM, UltimateCatTree said:

Sorry to necro this, but I for one would love to keep bees. (cant irl due to sucky city life)

Also, I believe beeswax was also used as a sealant to aid in preservation and watertightness.

The medicinal properties of honey can be used for makeshift treatment of wounds.

Mead of course.

Symbiotic relationship of flowering plants and bees. Bees help plants reproduce and plants help bees gather more nectar for honey.

The taste profile of honey (and consequently mead and preserved food) could be affected by surrounding plants (crops, trees, flowers)

Plus it would be nice for hobbyists who like to use games to relax.

Again, sorry for the necro, but I am hoping for this to either be a mod or core part of TFC2

Dude, you rock.

yes, bees need to be a thing, i like the idea when i first see it