Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brotherly_bro

Really simple fix for maps

16 posts in this topic

I've yet to be able to craft a map, as I haven't found both cinnibar and iron, and I find it extremely annoying to get lost. This is especially frustrating due to the simplicity of real-life maps. I believe an easier recipie using paper, ink, and a feather would be awesome. If you want to get interesting later, maybe make a "quill and map" item that has a slot for ink that is used as you explore, eh?

Just throwin the idea out there.

I like the quill and map idea. It introduces a cost for having a decent map of the area, which can be pretty precious.

In the meantime, I know it might be considered cheating, but Rei's minimap is a good stopgap, and you can explain it away as your character having a good idea of the area, or an intuition with regards to landscapes and so on.

I like the quill and map idea. It introduces a cost for having a decent map of the area, which can be pretty precious.

In the meantime, I know it might be considered cheating, but Rei's minimap is a good stopgap, and you can explain it away as your character having a good idea of the area, or an intuition with regards to landscapes and so on.

Oh, I dislike gadget-like mods like rei's, I play hardcore xD

Any time you get lost, you can find your way back if you dont give up. I've searched for the better part of an hour once before.

When I start up my TFC LP, I'll be using rei's, but I'm going to have it disabled to start. At one point, I'm gonna craft 8 bits of paper around an ink sac, toss the ink and 7 paper into a lake or whatever to despawn, and keep the one bit of paper, which will be my map. As long as I have that 1 bit of paper in my inventory, I will allow myself to use Rei's - if I lose the paper, I have to 'craft' another one before I can enable rei's again.

Love the OP idea tho - would make things much simpler.

Same thing for compasses an actual magnet would be nice.

Same thing for compasses an actual magnet would be nice.

We already have it - magnetite

you didn't think they called it that for shits and giggles did you?

it doesn't actual make magnets though it wouldn't be that hard to do, hell i could do it.

Not what i meant i worded that poorly, I meant in-game it doesn't make magnets yet and I was it would be easy to code so why isn't it already in.

On magnetite, you'd have to have... god what's it called... shit. Ferromagnetic materials. Those are iron, nickel, and cobalt.

On magnetite, you'd have to have... god what's it called... shit. Ferromagnetic materials. Those are iron, nickel, and cobalt.

The only ferromagnetic metal you'd need is the magnetite itself. That, crafted with a chisel, should yield a compass magnet. And THAT, crafted with a water bucket, should yield a rather shaky compass

Now ferroFLUIDS are a different story entirely, but I'm fairly certain Steve should not be able to make those at ANY point in time. Ever.

I can in my garage though :3 Ferrofluids are fucking awesome.

Today, I learned about magnets.

What I want to see now is a "map and quill item" with a gui containing 2 slots, one for a compass and one for ink. The compass would add the marker!

Today, I learned about magnets.

Posted Image

Motherfuckin' miracles.

I'd like to see more positioning tools, as that was really a big part of exploring. maybe we could even make sextants. Also, what if you could hang the maps on a wall. Maybe you could create a chart out of multiple maps that you could only see by hanging on a wall, but it would by as big as a large painting.

Hangable maps mod, its compatible as far as I know.

Hangable maps mod, its compatible as far as I know.

the difference is that it'd be cool to have some kind of larger map that showed a larger area.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0