Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Joey

TerraFirmaCraft in the technic launcher?

67 posts in this topic

right, but that's not what i was talking about at all, sure technic pack is against bioxx's wishes as he's stated and locked threads over, but what's wrong with one of the forums members making an installer similar to multiMC that supports servers as well? that's what i was getting at.

Bioxx:As to MDub's installer, I am not against automated installers as long as the mod zips or not distributed along with it and the source is available for interested parties to look at. I have thought about doing something like that at some point anyways.

That said, MultiMC is extremely easy to use. There is no real NEED for a one click solution. Maybe some wants because a few folks can't be bothered to read 4 lines of instructions, but not a need for one.

Hmm .. I can't see a problem with an installer for servers, but regular users really should just use a launcher :P

that's just because we're all used to all but compiling the build ourselves due to notch's laziness in pushing out the mod API. ;)

that's just because we're all used to all but compiling the build ourselves due to notch's laziness in pushing out the mod API. ;)

On that we can agree. That mans inability to deliver features in a form anywhere near what he promised is a disgrace :P

The last good thing he implemented was like .. Pistons, and they weren't even his idea :L :L

i'm honestly no fan of jeb's work either, it lacks a lot compared to the stuff notch added for the most part.

I know how to do it, but i'm fucking tired of it, especially when I run like 7-10 mods at the same time, and like 5 or 6 require installation into the jar

not only were pistons not his idea, he didnt even fully implement them, the original pistons had a piston with the ability to launch things into the air.

I know how to do it, but i'm fucking tired of it

quoted for truth. it wouldn't be worth the work i guess is more accurate to say.

is not there another non technic easy minecraft mod launcher?

Installing mods feels scary to me, tfc is the first mod i took the trouble for of doing it.

Even with magic launcher it is not easy. Playing tfc feels easy compared with installing mods in minecraft.

It's not "Scary" or even not worth the effort to do, at least compared to modding other games, minecraft is pretty simple in how to install a mod. The APIs and stuff that other mods need usually go in the jar file, while the others tend to go on their own mod folder...there are a few that are exceptions to this though.

Sorry I posted before reading. Stupid me.

It's not "Scary" or even not worth the effort to do, at least compared to modding other games, minecraft is pretty simple in how to install a mod. The APIs and stuff that other mods need usually go in the jar file, while the others tend to go on their own mod folder...there are a few that are exceptions to this though.

we're talking about the server, not the client here remember.

the server and the client mod almost exactly the same way, the main exception is that you aren't really supposed to unzilp the server (because it fucks the metadata), but the way I do it doesnt require unzipping the jar at all anyway.

I don't want to sound rude or anything but I never understood how people have such a hard time installing the mod. If you have/use a zip program (I use 7zip) it takes a matter of seconds to create a fresh install of any mod or mods. Literally just dragging and dropping files from one window to another in a simple sequence. I will say this though, it is a good idea to start MC after each mod added. I have had issues with MC after installing everything at once and jumping straight in. I usually install 2 parts, run MC, quit, install 2 more, repeat. I do understand that it's not as simple for the Mac OS because of how it handles files though and it's a bit more complex, but PC operation in the matter seems like child's play, but that might just be me since I've worked on computers for over 20 years.

on a mac you can use the java SDK jar program to update the files in the server jar, and fully unzip / rezip the client jar OR use the jar command to update it with replaced files if you wish. (but its better to unzip to delete meta data dir anyway.)

we're talking about the server, not the client here remember.

You know that adding APIs and internal mods to the jar, and mods to the mods folder is the same for both right?

I know its not going to be put in the technic launcher and that I'm commenting late for that but I thought I meant put an idea out there to solve one of the multiple problems with technic. The other mod I watch is FutureCraft, at one point we had a discussion about how to stop the heavy flow of noobs and unnecessary questions into our forums. One of the DEVs simply stated that as soon as the mod was to release and hopefully gain popularity we would make a second "secret" whitelist forum where experienced veterans and DEVs could bounce off a bunch of ideas without the distraction of noobs and their noobiness.

You know that adding APIs and internal mods to the jar, and mods to the mods folder is the same for both right?

Macs have a distinct lack of a zip program with a file-listing, drag & drop interface, unless there IS an easily obtained free one that i'm not aware of yet (might be, I dont use macs unless I have no choice.)

sequence of actions to mod server on a mac:

make sure you have the java SDK installed. (unless the jar command is included in the JRE, I always install the JDK so dont know)

unzip the mods (the ones that go into the jar), in the order that you're going to install them, into a temp subdirectory.

use the jar binary to update & add the files from the subdirectory to the jar file.

cd subdir

jar uf ../[jarfile] ./*

I know they do, but that's because mac has less third party support for things.

Also the discussion wasn't even about mac or windows, it was about wanting TFC in the technic launcher, which bioxxx has already stated he wouldn't do. As for my comment, we were talking about client and server installation, not on different operating systems.

I know they do, but that's because mac has less third party support for things.

Also the discussion wasn't even about mac or windows, it was about wanting TFC in the technic launcher, which bioxxx has already stated he wouldn't do. As for my comment, we were talking about client and server installation, not on different operating systems.

ya but the difference between server and client in this case would be that instead of using the uf option flags, you'd be using the cf options flags, and actually would need to unzip the original jar file ahead of time, and delete the meta-inf directory manually from the unzipped subdirectory so its not exactly the same :D

Sorry bout the wait, I've been very busy lately. UPDATES!!

I have a working version of this if you want to try it out. Its a bit rough, but the source code is there, and it works with 1.3.1 :D.

here is the link to the zip containing a build (sorry no documentation ATM, but its easy enough to figure out) One tip - mods are installed in the order they appear in the list from top to bottom.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68721904/Build.zip

here is a link to the source code

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68721904/Source.zip

its pretty beta atm, but feel free to try it out, and ill get better versions at some point.

Also, when you build a client configuration, you have to finish making it, select it, then click launch. The first time you do this, you have to log in, let it DL its stuff from minecraft.net, then close the instance and launch it again. This is how I got around distributing the jar file for MC. You only need to do this ONCE, the very first time you launch the configuration.

-Fixed a bug that wouldnt let you select mods one at a time

Also wanted to note that I tried this out by modding my client on 1.3.1 with modloader modloader mp, and the minimap, then I used the tool to create a server using the minecraft.jar from minecraft.net with modloaderMP as the mod. Not the most extensive of tests, but it work great. Also tried vanilla on both the client and the server, and a copy of my bukkit server's jar. both worked fine.

I turned down the default settings on the server's JVM memory settings. I had set this to 500MB minimum - 4G. If the target machine didnt have this much ram the server wouldnt start. In addition I forgot to include the BAT file in the last upload :P

put a new set of source and build zips out there. Included some tool tips and a bit of other help text. fixed some of the obvious issues and whatnot. I dont really want to use this page as a portal for 'releases' of this tool, so I wont be updating the links anymore. If you have suggestions for stuff to add, wanna tell me about things that are broken or want a copy please message me.

As long as it stays as a separate download for the normal launcher, I'm in. I use a bit of code to launch my game in high priority and skip all the log in stuff (yes I log in via this code). There will be a lot of code and like 5 shortcuts for the technic launcher.

Yes this tool doesnt affect your local install at all. Each configuration you make is its own instance of MC, with its own worlds, login info, mods, etc. I only uses your minecraft install to copy the jar file from when it creates a new configuration (client), given that... the version of MC you have in the %APPDATA%.minecraftbin directory is the version of MC which gets used. In addition, it expects your default install to be vanilla. I dont really know what would happen if you try to install mods ontop of a modded jar, it might work out, it might not :P

@MDub, awesome, i will DL and have a look.

i hate to say it also but i don't think i'll bother actually trying it until forge and most other mods update to 1.3.1 (or whichever ends up being the mod version for 1.3.x) so don't expect speedy feedback, but i'll poke again after i try it.

i hate to say it also but i don't think i'll bother actually trying it until forge and most other mods update to 1.3.1 (or whichever ends up being the mod version for 1.3.x) so don't expect speedy feedback, but i'll poke again after i try it.

I expected as much. It is pretty rough right now anyway. I know of a few things I need to fix already that might crop up. One of them being with the creation of servers, where if a certain registry key doesnt exist on your machine, the BAT file it builds for the server wont have any paths to the executables in it :(.