Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Buzhwaz

Things That Are Too Easy

52 posts in this topic

1. making a crafting table is too easy.

a crafting table sort of marks a player's transition from nomadic man-ape to homosapien. it should be more meaningful. perhaps a crafting table could be made from four crafted items. in other words, you would have to hand-craft four different things which would then be used to build a crafting table. whatever these hand-crafted things might be is anyone's guess.

2. making a bed is too easy.

this, of course, would be slightly mitigated by making the crafting table more difficult to build. however, being able to craft a bed so soon allows the player to forgo what would have been a daily stress for early man...night time. a bed shouldn't be more difficult to build, though. maybe it just needs an added requirement. for example, a bed that lets you sleep until dawn would need a block above it like a forge fire does. but you could also craft a palette out of 3 wool that doesn't need a cover but it only lets you sleep for a few hours in order to replenish health. to help balance this, campfires might have to be more effective in keeping mobs away.

3. the javelin is too easy.

again, this may be helped by the crafting table tweak; but for now, the javelin makes hunting and defending yourself so easy that i'm never nervous about anything once i'm able to craft one. for a more intense survivalist experience, the possibility of death has to be more immediate. either lower the effectiveness of javelins. or make them only craftable with a metal tip. or nix them altogether. plus, no more food drops for killing an animal with a stone javelin because.....

4. killing food is too easy.

if this mod is about survival, then food should be more scarce in the early game, even making the player go hungry for a few days at a time. first...no more kiliing anything but a chicken without an actual weapon. next, maybe the introduction of wild game traps. these wold be crafted out of several sticks and placed in the world. (one trap per 50 block radius) after a day or so, the trap would 'catch' game and the player could retrieve it. the game would vary in type depending on where the trap was placed. for example, if the trap is placed near water in a woodland area, you might get a beaver. if it's placed in a taiga, you might get a hare. NOTE: the actual mobs would never have to be implemented, (like fish) they just appear in your inventory when you check the trap. this is an easy way to make it seem like there's a much more robust animal kingdom in TFC without having to actually code new mobs.

ps - i know this is a lot. and all these could certainly have their own post, but they're all related to the easiness of the early game. and the suggestions here are to offer a solution to that particular problem rather than stand as suggestions on their own.

1. This is interesting. Maybe we could have a whole new crafting table with tiers? The first tier would be made with some wood and stone tools, and you would upgrade it with metal tools and other things(maybe even a multi-block, multipurpose artisan's table??).

2. Beds are fine as they are.

3. Javelin is total garbage, like it should be. The fact that they don't stack and are only sometimes retrievable makes them not worth using in the long run.

4. All of these have been suggested countless times. Most of them have been confirmed.

If traps get implemented, they'll work with real mobs. Fishing is already being rehauled to have actual mobs.

Killing food isn't too easy, you're being ridiculous. Animals aren't hard to kill. Spearing something with a javelin doesn't make it unfit for eating, either.

MAKING a javelin out of metal eliminates the purpose of the javelin, which is supposed to be a stone-age ranged weapon.

-snip-

I'm not really inclined to agree, for the following reasons:

1. I don't think the crafting table being easy to make is really an issue. The biggest barrier to moving on from the "nomadic stone age" is finding metal, I feel like adding faff to the crafting of the crafting table would just frustrate players, while not adding much difficulty.

2. I actually saw a suggestion for an overhaul of the beds, perhaps you should take a look and see if it is more to your liking than the current system ?

http://terrafirmacra...than-craftable/ (The initial premise isn't quite right, but Dunk does give us an insight into what they are planning for beds)

3. I think the javelin will probably stay as it is. I agree that survival is too easy, but getting rid of weapons isn't the solution to this. The fact is the javelin is actually a well balanced weapon. Also, how would a stone javelin prevent food dropping, how do you think our ancestors hunted ? o.o

4. I already kind of covered this above, but killing things is actually very easy once you catch up to them. The flaw here isn't in how easy it is to kill, but how slowly the animals run away, and how they don't run from you when they smell you. These are being changed, however, and the default passive mobs are being changed into more aggresive, non domesticated mobs, who will fight back, so your wish is kind of being granted.

As far as the magical food conjouring traps go, I'm not a fan. I think TFC really tries to shy away from that kind of "*poof* oh yeah ! food !" kind of thing :) That said, I appreciate where your heart was, not many people consider the difficulty of implementing mobs into the game :P

the basic problem i'm having is that when i begin a new world, it doesn't take any any time at all to get over the initial hump of survival. and i think it should last at least a few nights.

once you get a bed...you never have to face the night again if you dont want to. and i always get a bed before the first nightfall.

once you get a javelin, you're well-armed enough to defeat any mob. so i'm not ever frightened of anything.

and i dont know about anyone else, but my food supply is never an issue at all. i know it's easy to kill an animal in real life. i'm not suggesting it isn't. i'm just trying to counter-balance the game mechanic that allows the abundance of food i seem to have almost immediately.

and as far as the animal mobs go, i would love it if there were dozens of animals. i'd make a zoo asap. but, yes, i understand the technical mountain you may have to climb to implement each of them, thats why i suggested the fish-type mobs.

anyway, my main issue is that, for a survival game, survival sure is easy.

-snip-

You have hit the core of a huge issue with Minecraft in general. Surviving just isn't difficult.

The simple answer would be to make mobs do more damage etc. But that isn't exactly creative or interesting.

As far as the beds go, you can choose to avoid the night, but why would you ?

Food will be getting overhauled soon, maybe wait and see what these changes bring ?

I have been trying to think of how to make survival an interesting, constant and challenging goal for a long time, but so far I've just drawn blanks :P

4. I already kind of covered this above, but killing things is actually very easy once you catch up to them. The flaw here isn't in how easy it is to kill, but how slowly the animals run away, and how they don't run from you when they smell you. These are being changed, however, and the default passive mobs are being changed into more aggresive, non domesticated mobs, who will fight back, so your wish is kind of being granted. wait i get to see (vgcatsfan was killed by a pig/chicken/cow) if so i'm happy.

I have been trying to think of how to make survival an interesting, constant and challenging goal for a long time, but so far I've just drawn blanks :P

Is it really so difficult that you simply cannot make your own handicaps?

Javelin too easy for you. Don't make one. You never learned the recipe.

Food too easy? Great. You're a vegetarian now or whatever it is that can eat fish also. Or restrict yourself to one type of food. I do this instinctively and try to pick up only beef.

I play on a hardmode server which means you die once you run out of food bubbles. If you haven't set your spawn point by first night, you're in for a lot of retracing your steps.

Is it really so difficult that you simply cannot make your own handicaps?

Javelin too easy for you. Don't make one. You never learned the recipe.

Food too easy? Great. You're a vegetarian now or whatever it is that can eat fish also. Or restrict yourself to one type of food. I do this instinctively and try to pick up only beef.

I play on a hardmode server which means you die once you run out of food bubbles. If you haven't set your spawn point by first night, you're in for a lot of retracing your steps.

I shouldn't have to make my own handicaps though. I like using the javelin, it's actually my favourite weapon to be implemented in any mod. It's a bit like Skyrim. I found that easy, even on master, but I didn't run around in my underwear, using a wooden club instead of my twin enchanted daedric daggers. I shouldn't have to leave my technology in the stone age because any technology above the most basic level makes the entire game a cake walk, as far as combat goes. I love the idea of dying when you run out of food though ! :D

I shouldn't have to make my own handicaps though. I like using the javelin,

Yes you should if you feel the game is too easy.

I can't stand it when people think because one aspect of the game is easy that everything should be hard all the time. Guess what? Games where everything is stupidly difficult aren't fun for the average player. You need to have some easy things to ease into the game (or give those that don't like the harder stuff something to do), then work on the harder stuff. NOTHING sucks more than to walk 5+k blocks away from a spawn point so that you are not easily griefed only to die from starvation before you can find that third sheep.

Personally I find the javelin to be a challenge. You have a chance of losing it if you throw it and finding it again is not always easy. On hardmode, if you have no armor, the enemies will kill you in three hits. They also spawn 10 enemies to every 100 square blocks or so.

Wait have you never played around with the difficulty level inherent in minecraft? That alone should render your entire request invalid -_- Go play hardcore mode. You get one life and monsters insta kill you. That should be enough of a survival challenge for you.

Yes you should if you feel the game is too easy.

I can't stand it when people think because one aspect of the game is easy that everything should be hard all the time. Guess what? Games where everything is stupidly difficult aren't fun for the average player. You need to have some easy things to ease into the game (or give those that don't like the harder stuff something to do), then work on the harder stuff. NOTHING sucks more than to walk 5+k blocks away from a spawn point so that you are not easily griefed only to die from starvation before you can find that third sheep.

Personally I find the javelin to be a challenge. You have a chance of losing it if you throw it and finding it again is not always easy. On hardmode, if you have no armor, the enemies will kill you in three hits. They also spawn 10 enemies to every 100 square blocks or so.

Wait have you never played around with the difficulty level inherent in minecraft? That alone should render your entire request invalid -_- Go play hardcore mode. You get one life and monsters insta kill you. That should be enough of a challenge for you.

Have you every played/heard of "Dark Souls" ? It was released to universal critical acclaim. Despite the fact it is easily the most maddeningly difficult game ever made. (Apart from perhaps Dwarf Fortress) Evidently, enough people enjoy very difficult games.

That is a bit of a silly question now isn't it ? Of course I have played around with the diffiulty settings in MC. I play on hard exclusively (unless building in a creative capacity or testing new features in one of my non SSP worlds). I don't like hardcore mode because difficulty is not about disproportionatley punishing players for mistakes. Having to restart from scratch because a creeper caught me cutting trees doesn't reflect on the games difficulty, not dying when a skeleton catches me chopping wood at 1/4 health on hard mode with no armor does.

Also, should you not have killed some cows and cooked the meat to prevent starvation instead of making a mad dash for the sheep ? Just saying, that particular example was perhaps a poor choice of "over difficulty"

Games where everything is stupidly difficult aren't fun for the average player.

i dont want everything to be stupidly difficult. i just want the first few days to be more challenging. right now it seems that once i get certain items, then survival is a no-brainer.

plus, i don't really think video games are for using your imagination. maybe to a small degree they are, but mostly they're about discovering and using the game mechanics to overcome obstacles. it's not the land of make believe. that's what i play d&d for.

I agree with DLP if you want a challenge for your first few nights and usually until you make armor of a decent standard like bronze, crank up the difficulty. On the oddworld server most people die constantly until they get armor which is usually a long time. The mobs do more damage, you die of starvation, mobs are deadly and spawn in huge packs all around you. Also deez has the cave-ins tweeked and you can't even hardly make a cave to hide in without it collapsing if you dig very much without supports. If it's too easy make it harder.

If you think beds are too easy then suggest making sheep not drop wool when you kill them, only when sheered.

We plan to make the stone age a much more hostile place, to encourage you to leave it. It will be much harder to build any sort of solid shelter, or dig a hidey hole or whatever. You are going to find more often than not, that you will be spending your time in an open-air cave or out in the open with a fire-pit. You will be at the mercy of your surroundings, so finding metal will be nearly essential.

I think this is a good idea, nighttime should be frightening, and I think that all mobs should be able to break wooden doors so your house Isn't safe until you get Iron doors (This could be turned on or off in the options menu)

you shouldn't even be able to make wooden doors until the metal age (hinges)

We plan to make the stone age a much more hostile place, to encourage you to leave it. It will be much harder to build any sort of solid shelter, or dig a hidey hole or whatever. You are going to find more often than not, that you will be spending your time in an open-air cave or out in the open with a fire-pit. You will be at the mercy of your surroundings, so finding metal will be nearly essential.

I am veritably tingling with anticipation :D

you shouldn't even be able to make wooden doors until the metal age (hinges)

thats not why you won't be able to make wooden doors.

thats not why you won't be able to make wooden doors.

well theres that and modern looking doors need metal tools to shape properly anyway :D

well theres that and modern looking doors need metal tools to shape properly anyway :D

he he he.

he he he.

Dev's scare me sometimes.... My take still stands, make shears a requirement for wool.

My take still stands, make shears a requirement for wool.

Ah, I never said anything about not needing shears for wool (did I? i dunno), although wool could probably be easily harvested (albeit crudely, with a lower yield) from a dead sheep with a knife.

Hint a carcasses, hmmmmmm??????

he he he.

...Oh crap.

Carpentry inbound in 5...

sweet! this is exactly what i was talking about! just a little more effort to get over being a caveman. can't wait!