Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jed1314

Thoughts on B47 ?

117 posts in this topic

I hope crysyn puts out a new video about these changes because I'm confused as hell about the sluice panning situation

As far as I can grasp this.

Sluices are, along with searching for surface ore, static methods for finding where concentrations of ore are in your world. The detection range can pick up stuff a fair way down, so if your sluice starts spitting out alot of iron ore, well done you have found a spot to site a mine when your out of the stone age.

Pans now serve a additional function a propicks at a stoneage level.

But yes, it seems you cant start mining right off the bat. You need to collect ore from the surface, build sluices to sieve ore or pan for ore chunks in river biomes. A bit trickyer than just slaping together a stone pick, but it brings back the whole prospecting field of the mod into more focus. Personaly I never got around to useing a sluice in previous game worlds, now its a vital tool.

Also great news on the land generation changes, the coherance of the cave systems and the greater space for more varied ore forms to spawn is well worth losing that 4th layer of stone for.

I'd still like to hear from anyone, if the new generation code is open for individual players to tweak like Better Ore Distribution has its own txt files linked to the mod.

Is there an authoritative list of which recipes use the new planks instead of plank blocks? Chests, trapdoors, doors, and signs. Any others?

Stairs and wooden slabs all use the finished planks.

I am absolutely in love with these changes. I'm no longer hitting my pick head against a wall for hours hoping to start the game. Plus I like the "you're stuck in hunter/gather mode for a little while longer" style of play.

So far, I've gotten a house, my first tin bar, a small tree farm and a small amount of storage.

Just have to go hunt down some paper to start my first item. Do I make a chisel or a pickaxe first? Hmmm.... decisions. :)

Stairs and wooden slabs all use the finished planks.

I am absolutely in love with these changes. I'm no longer hitting my pick head against a wall hoping to start the game. Plus I like the "you're stuck in hunter/gather mode for a little while longer" style of play.

So far, I've gotten a house, my first tin bar, a small tree farm and a small amount of storage.

Just have to go hunt down some paper to start my first item. Do I make a chisel or a pickaxe first? Hmmm.... decisions. :)

That is a tough one indeed :S .. This is awesome :D

I really love the way this plays :P

Adds a step toward prospecting as the first stage of going out and finding a place to settle and start building even after the stoneage.

>find loose ore on surface

>create sluice to y/n deeper supervein

>explore caves

>site shaft mine if high enough concentration detected

Nevermind that, Flint tool ????

As far as I can tell that hasn't existed for some time :P

I thought the same thing until I realized that river beds are being filled with gravel blocks now... gravel which is (possibly mistakenly) producing flint occasionally, just like it does in vanilla. So oddly enough, you can actually make flint tools again.

I thought the same thing until I realized that river beds are being filled with gravel blocks now... gravel which is (possibly mistakenly) producing flint occasionally, just like it does in vanilla. So oddly enough, you can actually make flint tools again.

Ohhhhhhhhhh :P

I suspect Bioxx will fix that in no time :)

well i think leaving flint tools in is a very balanced thing. Since you can mine stuff with them if you are really desperate. You can get more stone if there is no more around and you can mine ore if you hit it right below the surface. But the mining time... honestly you won't be making mineshafts with it. Its just silly.

Personal experience: 1 evening of working with 2 other ppl on a server and we already mined down to y30 and found the first good cass vein, thus we have the first tools safe. There are a LOT more veins spawning so as soon as you got some picks and pro picks you find stuff pretty easy. The hard part is getting the hand on the first pick and pro pick to start the mining. Progress is there and it IS possible to start. The start is harder of course but that was the aim of those changes. Use the sluices with gravel and you can start off. It really works and i really like those changes.

I played a bit at lunch and starting out wasn't as bad as I thought it would be- especially since I started playing in b45, just being able to find metals around is pretty nice. Building my house was what I was worried about but dirt and wood houses are plenty doable, and it's kind of fun living with these sorts of limitations.

I think probably flint tools should find their way back out- stone digging in b46 was plenty slow and bioxx still ended up removing picks because people kept using them to try to dig extensively. I know that I thought I was SUPPOSED to dig down that low and wasn't having much fun.

I was wondering, should you make a metal pick first as opposed to a chisel, because a bloomery won't serve you much good until you can mine out an ore vein.

I was wondering, should you make a metal pick first as opposed to a chisel, because a bloomery won't serve you much good until you can mine out an ore vein.

probably, but it's best to try experimenting. If you find enough loose rock, you could make bricks with just the chisel.

I'm thinking Bloomery first myself, as you can still throw the surface shards in there when you find them in droves. Much better (to me anyway) than having to slowly cook them down on a campfire..

I imagine it's more a 'to each his own' matter, though. Folks who are more mobile wouldn't benefit nearly as much from a bloomery at start!

so do you have to cheat up or get lucky and glitch up flint tools to make an anvil? how the heck else do you get smooth stone with no pick? and while i'm at it, how do you get a chisel without an anvil? seems to be a bit of a catch 22 in crafting progression here....

so do you have to cheat up or get lucky and glitch up flint tools to make an anvil? how the heck else do you get smooth stone with no pick? and while i'm at it, how do you get a chisel without an anvil? seems to be a bit of a catch 22 in crafting progression here....

Anvils are now made by smacking smooth stone with a hammer. This can be any smooth stone in your environment, you don't actually have to mine it up.

and how do you get smooth stone? that's where it becomes a catch 22, because you need a pick to get smooth stone, or use a chisel on it and apparently you can't make a stone chisel by knapping.

and how do you get smooth stone? that's where it becomes a catch 22, because you need a pick to get smooth stone, or use a chisel on it and apparently you can't make a stone chisel by knapping.

Any stone on the ground is smooth stone. Dig through the soil layer and smack the first thing you see with a hammer.

it seems that you have to hit the top side of a block to turn it into an anvil, sides won't work.

it seems that you have to hit the top side of a block to turn it into an anvil, sides won't work.

You can still punch at stone until it breaks.

Does anyone have any idea how close ore veins have to be to the surface to spawn ore from rocks? I had a big ol' area that was dropping a ton of copper when I built my house, but now I have a pick and I'm mining around that area, and I can't seem to find a thing.

so this build is definitely a lot more enjoyable than 46 was, leaps and bounds here, really great improvement and haven't noticed too much that seems very buggy, i thought gold panning was going to be mandatory to get out of the stone age from the way the patch notes are written, but it's just as useless as ever from what i've seen so far (then again, i haven't been tending it nearly as much as i should, haven't had a reason to and it's a bit of a gamble) but can pay off fairly nicely, loving how the stones on the ground help with prospecting now too that really helps offset the huge range and deception of the propick, all in all one or two minor things, but this is definitely the most enjoyable and playable build we've had for a good couple of weeks.

i will say though, that making your first ingot in a fire instead of a forge is decidedly more risky in this build though, lost one near complete ingot, i think because the fire went out multiple times while making it, but it may have also been due to overcooking and the mold next to the unshaped ingot mold not catching it properly.

I also am enjoying this build much more than 45 or 46. Nearly ragequit when I accidentally spilled not one but *two* molds of unshaped zinc, but I'm recovering with plentiful sluices.

Gold-panning seems nearly useless, I haven't figured out how to do it efficiently, but sluices are awesome!

same thing, aren't they?

i almost forgot to mention, but i know it's totally wrong, but something in me just finds it too hilarious that i go out and pick some anvils instead of crafting them now, it's as if they're fruit or something, still though that and the bug which means it's gonna turn back into stone everytime you use it are minor things at most.

Well take stone anvils not like anvils but like just a big rock you're using to hammer your metal in place. I don't like the fact though that they turn back after use. Would be cool if i could point at a stone and do like "you are the stone im gonna use to hammer my ingots on!" and poof anvil... but yeah the model of the stone anvil may need to be changed...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0