Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abandoned mines

the stream biome (steep canyons and wide open mountain valleys)

32 posts in this topic

hi guys its been a bit

i ve been off working in the northwest gold fields near Atlin BC

while there i saw some amazing views including very steep canyons that snaked through the nearby mountains.

i already brought up the idea of larger mountains but got no where, but what about wider ranges?

instead of the mountains being higher, why not make them wider and more pointed to simulate erosion.

trees could only grow to the "snow line" in the world, this being the layer that's too cold for them to grow.

within these ranges (along with my idea of small glaciers) could be long semi interconnected streams. these streams could form in such a way that they expose large amounts of bed rock and boulders (from the stream bed thread). under these large boulders, gravels found may be richer in valued metal nuggets and gold dust.

if we ever figure out how to get rivers to spawn so they come off the mountains, than sluices could be set up to catch free moving dirt and gravels. another thing could be that gravel blocks could sometimes be "eroded" from there resting places and be "deposited" in stream bends.

streams could host fish such as trout and salmon (only fall / early winter for spawning)

bears could be found near streams as they try to catch fish for a meal.

this started out for esthetics, but i think these steep and narrow canyons could come in handy.

i am open to feedback

Assuming the terrain generator could be tweaked to have consistently good running water that looks like a stream, this would be amazing. I'd absolutely love hiking up a river to catch a fish, it reminds me of the Lake District. Nice idea, let's hope it's doable.

hi guys its been a bit

while there i saw some amazing views including very steep canyons that snaked through the nearby mountains.

i already brought up the idea of larger mountains but got no where, but what about wider ranges?

instead of the mountains being higher, why not make them wider and more pointed to simulate erosion.

trees could only grow to the "snow line" in the world, this being the layer that's too cold for them to grow.

within these ranges (along with my idea of small glaciers) could be long semi interconnected streams. these streams could form in such a way that they expose large amounts of bed rock and boulders (from the stream bed thread). under these large boulders, gravels found may be richer in valued metal nuggets and gold dust.

if we ever figure out how to get rivers to spawn so they come off the mountains, than sluices could be set up to catch free moving dirt and gravels. another thing could be that gravel blocks could sometimes be "eroded" from there resting places and be "deposited" in stream bends.

streams could host fish such as trout and salmon (only fall / early winter for spawning)

bears could be found near streams as they try to catch fish for a meal.

this started out for esthetics, but i think these steep and narrow canyons could come in handy.

i am open to feedback

I love your ideas about improving the mountainous and high biomes !

Do you work in the mining sector ? I've always been fascinated with it, but unfortunately my degree does not offer me an inroad into it.

+1 to this idea !

*snip

Do you work in the mining sector ?

*kasnip*

I think that's a yes, Jed, but I could be wrong :D

I love the idea of steeper interconnected river valleys in a mountainous area. It'd make for both great mining opportunities and a quite visually pleasing place to build settlements. Hopefully some of your more complex suggestions (complex for MC..) can be coded as well, but just receiving this sort of biome would be great!

All I want to see are some interlocking spurs. Ever since that fateful day midway through secondary school, in that very special geography class, I've always dreamt of seeing interlocking spurs implemented in a neolithic survival video game. :)

Assuming the terrain generator could be tweaked to have consistently good running water that looks like a stream, this would be amazing. I'd absolutely love hiking up a river to catch a fish, it reminds me of the Lake District. Nice idea, let's hope it's doable.

you from the bulkley valley / lakes district ? if so than :D small world

i am currently at collage working on a degree in geology and also working as an apprentice prospector / trail blazer. last winter i worked at the bralorne gold mine in southern british columbia as an intern geology student so yea i am in the mining and exploration sector :)

I love your ideas about improving the mountainous and high biomes !

Do you work in the mining sector ? I've always been fascinated with it, but unfortunately my degree does not offer me an inroad into it.

+1 to this idea !

a good way to get into the prospecting field is to start rock hounding :) start by researching your local terrain and mineral composition. i live in a fairly mineral rich area which (which if we needed to) could support all man kinds mineral needs for 100 years. the mining field of work is fun but hard and brutal work.

for example some friends and I set up a large mining claim near my town to hunt for silver. we found silver and have been driving an addit into a hill side for around 2 years now. we have on our own crushed, concentrated, and melted down around 1000 pounds our own ores to save time and experiences. we have recovered around 150 oz of silver, 2500 oz of lead, 1020 oz of zinc, 22 oz of copper, 10 oz of tungsten and 5.5 oz of gold :)

glad to see some people are still interested in the mining sector and not just in getting rid of mining in there areas.

you from the bulkley valley / lakes district ? if so than :D small world

Pretty big world, sorry! I meant the Lake District in Cumbria, in northern England. Nowhere near as majestic as British Columbia I should imagine, but really nice nonetheless. :)

Pretty big world, sorry! I meant the Lake District in Cumbria, in northern England. Nowhere near as majestic as British Columbia I should imagine, but really nice nonetheless. :)

o well anyway

anyone got anymore ideas for the streams biome ?

i am an ambassador of chuck noris. and i approve this idea...for him : D

+ 1

you guys are so awesome

i always dreamt of doing that (my dwarfy instincts started with the mining scenes of disneys snowwhite)

in middle/eastern europe almost every square centimeter is in corporate hand-> quarry style and i never was a good deskjockey

o well anyway

anyone got anymore ideas for the streams biome ?

question: does everyone out west hate people in ontario? I've heard that, but I've never confirmed it.

question: does everyone out west hate people in ontario? I've heard that, but I've never confirmed it.

Yup.

i think it should be expanded on other biomes ,or whatever their future name is, there are valleys in deserts and jungles too you know XD

sorry man :/ but alot of people out here think were paying way to much for Ontario / Quebec dept problems

sorry man :/ but alot of people out here think were paying way to much for Ontario / Quebec dept problems

quebec I can understand. You can hate the mayor of toronto if you like, he's a dick, but I personally haven't caused any debt =P

quebec I can understand. You can hate the mayor of toronto if you like, he's a dick, but I personally haven't caused any debt =P

lol no problem man :)

anyway dunk would there be any chance of any part of this idea making it into TFcraft? i thought i heard about a biome revamp coming later so this could help

lol no problem man :)

anyway dunk would there be any chance of any part of this idea making it into TFcraft? i thought i heard about a biome revamp coming later so this could help

Bioxx designed a biome for our other project that sounds very similar to this idea. I'll talk to him about it.

Bioxx designed a biome for our other project that sounds very similar to this idea. I'll talk to him about it.

thank you :)

That depends are you French/canasian/or have any relation to Justin Bieber? (I live in Washington State)

That depends are you French/canasian/or have any relation to Justin Bieber? (I live in Washington State)

I'm not french Canadian, but I can tell you that (and this is true lol) a friend of a friend used to play on Justin Bieber's soccer team. Apparently, he was a whiny bitch before he got famous too.

I'm not french Canadian, but I can tell you that (and this is true lol) a friend of a friend used to play on Justin Bieber's soccer team. Apparently, he was a whiny bitch before he got famous too.

That doesn't surprise me. Have you seen the boy ? He's nearly (8 months younger seemingly) the same age as me, and I feel compelled to refer to him as a boy. It doesn't look like he has a lick of facial hair, he's built like a house made of twiglets and, to top it all off, he sings like a prepubescent girl. Perhaps he is castrato .. That would make sense.....

Then no Washington doesn't hate you even if you are that closely related to Bieber.

That doesn't surprise me. Have you seen the boy ? He's nearly (8 months younger seemingly) the same age as me, and I feel compelled to refer to him as a boy. It doesn't look like he has a lick of facial hair, he's built like a house made of twiglets and, to top it all off, he sings like a prepubescent girl. Perhaps he is castrato .. That would make sense.....

Yeah I don't like him... My 12 year old cousin is obsessed with him and i was kinda like... You know he's like 6 years older than you right? wtf.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0