Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
DoodTheDud

Animal mating

53 posts in this topic

I have no clue wtf you just tried to ask.

not that good with explanations and I even read it in a hyperventilated, out of breath voice. About as good As I could get in explanation if you haven't seen anything about vanilla (who needs to track updates on it when you have TerraFirmaChocolate?)

I Think what he means, is for the female to change skins when they become pregnant of sufficient progress into gestation, IE the female gets a bulge a few months in, he just over complicated the method.

I Think what he means, is for the female to change skins when they become pregnant of sufficient progress into gestation, IE the female gets a bulge a few months in, he just over complicated the method.

ahhh, I see what you mean. Yeah, it's entirely possible, but I don't know if we will.

sorry about all that guys. The animal mating can be a bit.... difficult at times, but i am working on improving how easy it is to use. In the next update, you'll find that on SMP, only the correct sex is displayed by the animals. Using wheat, just as in vanilla makes them breed. The female will become pregnant, at which point she will no longer be mated with by males. Roughly 4 months after she is impregnated, she will give birth to a baby animal. (I changed these somewhat from vanilla). Over the next 3 months, the baby will slowly grow in size to that of an adult. Hunting and breeding is supposed to be a supplement to your farming, which, from what I understand won't be as easy in the future?

Would it be at all possible for certain animals, namely pigs, to give birth to a litter (or maybe just two) or rather may have a chance to give birth to a litter? I ask this because we how dumb MC animals tend to be (Suffocating inside a fence, suffocating inside chiseled walls, wolves somehow getting into the damn pens, people eating the wrong animals), in the 7 months it takes to get a full grown animal you may have lost your first breeding pair. This would just make it so that survivability of a heard as well as being able to create a larger amount of food to feed a larger server base is more feasible.

Would it be at all possible for certain animals, namely pigs, to give birth to a litter (or maybe just two) or rather may have a chance to give birth to a litter? I ask this because we how dumb MC animals tend to be (Suffocating inside a fence, suffocating inside chiseled walls, wolves somehow getting into the damn pens, people eating the wrong animals), in the 7 months it takes to get a full grown animal you may have lost your first breeding pair. This would just make it so that survivability of a heard as well as being able to create a larger amount of food to feed a larger server base is more feasible.

oh yeah, I meant to include that in the code I submitted for pre 48, but i forgot to program it lol. Sorry, hopefully I'll remember to add it in when I finish with the chickens.

Btw, chicken and sheep i have beef with (forced pun is forced) a pig gives like 30 porkchops, while chickens are certainly more than 1/30th the volume of a pig, yet they give meat that is measly in quantity. Also, i need lambchops...

oh yeah, I meant to include that in the code I submitted for pre 48, but i forgot to program it lol. Sorry, hopefully I'll remember to add it in when I finish with the chickens.

Awesome, my player group has been bugging me to find out if that would be a future addition.

Oh man, chickens are getting an update? Can we get a hint on how they will breed? Something like a nest box or will it be similar to vanilla's two breeding pair and a bit of wheat?

Btw, chicken and sheep i have beef with (forced pun is forced) a pig gives like 30 porkchops, while chickens are certainly more than 1/30th the volume of a pig, yet they give meat that is measly in quantity. Also, i need lambchops...

True, but omelets are not really that bad of a food source so if you get a few chickens going, they will consistently produce for you a food supply.. Now if we could make advanced foods so we could have heartier omelets that feed you more..

Cattle can rarely have a pair of calves. Pigs often have 6 to 12 piglets in a litter. Also sheep, they can have and often do have 2 or 3 lambs.

Would be cool to see similar mechanics included to all of the animals. Would also be neat for the sense of uncertainty to have it so that random RARE birthing complications causing the death of either a mother, or one or more of the offspring. No more than say 1 in 1000 chance or something. Also, if for instance the mother dies, you would either need to feed the offspring with milk or something, or provide a surrogate mother.

mutton and venison are on the way lol.

Awesome, my player group has been bugging me to find out if that would be a future addition.

Oh man, chickens are getting an update? Can we get a hint on how they will breed? Something like a nest box or will it be similar to vanilla's two breeding pair and a bit of wheat?

True, but omelets are not really that bad of a food source so if you get a few chickens going, they will consistently produce for you a food supply.. Now if we could make advanced foods so we could have heartier omelets that feed you more..

chickens eggs are the reason chicken meat doesn't heal more.

Cattle can rarely have a pair of calves. Pigs often have 6 to 12 piglets in a litter. Also sheep, they can have and often do have 2 or 3 lambs.

Would be cool to see similar mechanics included to all of the animals. Would also be neat for the sense of uncertainty to have it so that random RARE birthing complications causing the death of either a mother, or one or more of the offspring. No more than say 1 in 1000 chance or something. Also, if for instance the mother dies, you would either need to feed the offspring with milk or something, or provide a surrogate mother.

Do not worry, I will be sure to make it realistic. I do know quite a bit about animals, that's why I got this job lol. If the offspring dies before it has finished breast feeding, it will starve and there's nothing you can do about it. If it is separated after this point, it will first try and follow the nearest animal of it's species, and then look for the nearest animal period. (including humans)

Perhaps make a higher or lower amount of offspring spawn depending on the amount of surrounding relevant species so that a huge litter of pigs won't spawn as often in your full to capacity pig holding factory. I'd rather not have to kill too many baby kids because of overpopulation

Gasp, so we could potentially wean a baby animal from it's mother, and make it our loyal pet? :o

I feel this will start leading to PETA factions fighting for animal rights to not be taken from mothers too early in life and grow in a safe environment as opposed to my meat plants I would love to start

I feel this will start leading to PETA factions fighting for animal rights to not be taken from mothers too early in life and grow in a safe environment as opposed to my meat plants I would love to start

*points accusatory finger* MONSTER!

[ontopic] The population control is rather natural in the real world: limited by resources. Perhaps the number of babbbbies could be dictated somehow by the conditions (size of pen; yeah, looking at you, anitmatter: no little crates for the maminoos) as well as by the amount of food provided?

Could be an interesting method...

I find it funny that in real life, i'm vegetarian, but in minecraft, i'm a carnivore XD

My diet in minecraft roughly reflects my IRL diet, which is to say that I haven't consumed plant matter in many many months :P :P

I don't even want to imagine how painful your bathroom breaks are... people need fiber for a reason lol

I don't even want to imagine how painful your bathroom breaks are... people need fiber for a reason lol

I did slightly exaggerate to be fair :P I would describe myself as an anti-vegetarian in the sense that I only eat maybe 4 varieties of vegetable. I still eat plenty of fruit, staples etc. which provides plenty of ruffage :P

Ah good, :) lol, you had me worried there.

I don't know about how litter sizes can be affected by pens. If you get too many piglets, that will kinda suck for you. (more meat i suppose though)

Is there a way to simulate overgrazing? or would that just make game-play even more annoying?

Is there a way to simulate overgrazing? or would that just make game-play even more annoying?

apparently, tall grass is going to come in sizes, so animals will start eating that instead of grass blocks. If you run out of grass, you better either let your animals out or start feeding them.

*slow clap*

Thinking of these things before i do... lol i look forward to the additions even more.

*slow clap*

Thinking of these things before i do... lol i look forward to the additions even more.

lol I'll take a slow clap instead of a like

*slow clap*

*whispers* it's because he doesn't have hands...

This amuses me... ^