Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Srgnoodles

Sticks Vs Handles/Rods

42 posts in this topic

does anyone else find it a little odd that, even though you are making red iron tools, you still use some random stick straight from a tree to mash your tool head onto?

it makes sence for stone tools but shouldn't you use something a little more refined for your metal tools? maybe you could make handles from wood and hide for grips or something like that to attack your tools to. also, when you smith a sword, you just make the blade, you also should need to craft the crossguard and handle for it because you dont just stick a sword blade onto a stick and it's k

Stick + leather = handle?

...I'm ok with this. +1

Stick + leather = handle?

...I'm ok with this. +1

Also, with knife. More uses for the knife, yeay!!!

Also, with knife. More uses for the knife, yeay!!!

Better yet, leather + knife = 4 leather strips

2 leather strips on either side of a stick = handle

I really actually like this idea, would give leather more use than leather armor (which is mainly end up using it for) and bellows. Sure it doesn't add much more to the game outside of adding another step in crafting, but it does give a more believable crafting recipe than just glueing a blade to a stick. I am also sure that leath strips could be used in other recipies for objects added down the road to TFC.

Instead of a stick, make that a plank. How about this : plank+knife = handle (useable on lower tier metal tools/weapons) and handle + leather = sturdy handle (for high tier metal tools/weapons, maybe from steel upwards). Same with bone : bone + knife = bone handle, and bone handle + leather = sturdy bone handle.

I don't think this would add much to the game beyond busywork. Maybe if it was added it could give a durability boost to the tool, if it's possible for durability to go over 100.

somtimes busywork isnt bad, just using raw sticks is kind of silly.

This, but shapeless. Less crafting table craftings, please. :U

I wouldn't mind this however I agree with mrpwase it wouldn't add a huge amount to the game besides a fixing a problem few people noticed and another use for leather, I think it would need a little more importance than that some kind of boost would be ideal. The fact that sticks were used confused me for a different reason how did we get it to stay?

somtimes busywork isnt bad, just using raw sticks is kind of silly.

Sometimes busywork isn't bad? Busywork is always bad. I know it's a bit rich complaining about this while playing TFC, but busywork is the opposite of fun and does not belong in video games.

Using prepared handles instead of sticks should give a bonus to the tool of some kind, or maybe should be required for higher tier tools. Realism doesn't enter into it, tools are a very basic and important part of gameplay, and making it more tedious to get them isn't fun.

..., if it's possible for durability to go over 100.

Lol, look who doesn't know how durability works. A tier 0 pickaxe already has several hundred uses.

Ideally, I'd like to see sticks and stones used for stone tools.

Carved handles and metals would be used for metal tools.

Leather-bound handles and alloys would be used for...alloy tools.

Also leather strips, or fibres of some kind ought be required to fasten tool heads.

Ideally, I'd like to see sticks and stones used for stone tools.

Carved handles and metals would be used for metal tools.

Leather-bound handles and alloys would be used for...alloy tools.

Also leather strips, or fibres of some kind ought be required to fasten tool heads.

I'd definitely be for this, particularly if we can carve some sort of worked wood into said handles. I think the idea of having worked handles become part of the durability (as a bonus) would be excellent as well - It fits with the trend in this mod of careful planning giving better results.

Perhaps it can also dovetail into the apparent (to me anyway) addition of carpentry we're going to see in the near future? I'd not be surprised at all to see a woodworking bench or somesuch as part of the construction and carpentry changes. Creating higher quality handles and hafts at one of those would be a fitting upgrade to sticks and stones. ^_^

or if you enchant/gemify the handle it would lend some sort of benefit to the tool. (maybe you should be able to enchant the tool heads ahead of time as well)

Lol, look who doesn't know how durability works. A tier 0 pickaxe already has several hundred uses.

Oh come on, you know what I meant.

This, but shapeless. Less crafting table craftings, please. :U

Oh, so you can properly wrap a sword handle without a good workspace, can you? If you post pics of yourself sitting in a field and placing a proper leather crossweave on a weapon handle, I will not only concede your point but I'll post my own pics of me eating my goddamned fedora

well to all you who say that having better handles for tools should just give a durability bonus, i say myeh to that. it should be REQUIRED to make better handles for tools because it just doesnt make sense otherwise

How does that not make sense? Why can't you use a normal handle with a fancy pick, I don't remember reading any rule that the quality of part of an item must be equal to the quality of the rest. It would make sense if you couldn't just put a handle on a red steel pick head.

How does that not make sense? Why can't you use a normal handle with a fancy pick, I don't remember reading any rule that the quality of part of an item must be equal to the quality of the rest. It would make sense if you couldn't just put a handle on a red steel pick head.

i meant better handles than sticks, i dont want there to be seven and a half types of handles, i just want handles to replace sticks in crafting

That's just it though. Currently you aren't putting on a 'regular' handle, you're taking a tool head and jamming in a bit of branch you yanked out of a tree. Real tools aren't made in this manner - they have handles

Instead of a stick, make that a plank. How about this : plank+knife = handle (useable on lower tier metal tools/weapons) and handle + leather = sturdy handle (for high tier metal tools/weapons, maybe from steel upwards). Same with bone : bone + knife = bone handle, and bone handle + leather = sturdy bone handle.

How you gonna get a knife if you need it to craft a handle?

How you gonna get a knife if you need it to craft a handle?

Stone knives didn't have handles, and ideally won't in TFC either. Only metal ones do/would.

Hypothetical updates: The backbone of this forum...

Oh, so you can properly wrap a sword handle without a good workspace, can you? If you post pics of yourself sitting in a field and placing a proper leather crossweave on a weapon handle, I will not only concede your point but I'll post my own pics of me eating my goddamned fedora

I can totally imagine myself sitting criss-cross in a beautiful grassy field working on my lap definitely not nervous that I'll be eaten by a bear at a moments notice. I just don't see it as something that requires a workstation, but I could be wrong.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0