Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Jed1314

Blacksmithing Changes

68 posts in this topic

There are 3 lines that look like the bottom of the "spoiler" box under the actual spoiler. I click "show" and they are still there.

Looking at the actual post, I think it has something to do with the "enter" spaces, the new lines, oyu put in it...

so sir, did you remember to bring your towel?

Always.

In fact, I own 42 of them.

From a different thread, but...

My Skin ingame has one, yes, and at college I carry one in my satchel. It HAS come in handy on more than one occasion

I am a dedicated Hitch Hiker

Nevermind, saw the other post lol

Edited by Scooterdanny

Wait, was there an old Hitch hiker's guide? or am i missing something...

The books have been around since the 80's, I believe, with a short TV series (the source of my avatar) about the same time. Radio Broadcasts happened about the 90's...

Back on topic, Jed, are you gonna update the OP with the metal shards idea?

Sorry :S .. I totally forgot :L I'll do that right after I finish my dinner :P

ummm back on topic...

Blacksmithing....yay!

ummm back on topic...

Blacksmithing....yay!

Yay! (Dang, it's easy to get sidetraked here :P)

If I do say so myself, it seems the only problem with the blacksmithing procces suggested was solved with the "metal shards" idea... Well, and the coding :P

Yay! (Dang, it's easy to get sidetraked here :P)

If I do say so myself, it seems the only problem with the blacksmithing procces suggested was solved with the "metal shards" idea... Well, and the coding :P

Yes, unfortunately (like most of my ideas seemingly) I have suggested something which would be a bitch to code :L

if you were an expert at coding, you would be millionaire :P you have pretty good ideas most of the time

if you were an expert at coding, you would be millionaire :P you have pretty good ideas most of the time

You are too kind :P

I was once considering going into coding instead of manufacture, but I didn't. Part of me still deeply regrets that decision :/

I have always said I would learn java in my free time, but it is one of those pipe dreams I will never follow :S .. It would take me years to get to a level which would allow me to follow through on the ideas I have. I could probably list you a good couple of complete games, but sadly it was never meant to be :(

The best part is when newbies come on to a server for help (which I wouldn't spare them by giving) and try there firs smithing job, completely fail, and rage quit because they can't get OP armour within 30 minutes of playing vanilla

Lmao, then they aren't fit for the mod.

Lmao, then they aren't fit for the mod.

Bioxxian evolution

Survival of the craftiest

Bioxxian evolution

Survival of the craftiest

YES!!! I am adding this to my Sig!

YES!!! I am adding this to my Sig!

Ninja'd. -_-

if you can use waterflow will be nice (is used is some industries), its have an bigger tax of cooling than the normal water. i think that some metals can't suffer temper with salinized water or it will become too hard that will break in any impact.

Carbonization:

Maybe can be a good idea use something like an closed box with coal inside it (in real life also use a substance that become gas in process, but i don't sure if is a good idea) to carbonizate tool heads (this give more durability for some of them (like iron pickaxe, or cut tools)) keeping that box in certain temperature for different times will until an mark of time, named "optimum" the process will give more durability, after that mark, the material will get little less durability (due overhard surface). this process also must be in lower temperatures than the used to temperate the tools, or you will lose the temper.

Glass:

You also can temper glass to make it more resistant.

Also I think that is a good idea use the metal basis in chance of break on differents quenchings:

for example (real life):

if you do quenching with water in iron( if i not wrong, is classifiqued as iron if it have more than 2% of carbone in composition, so its very hard and can't be hammed while cool or it can break) it have an very big chance of break, or became very low resistence.

But if you use steel (iron with less than 2% of carbone is considered steel, but in exemple lets consider iron with less then 0,4% of carbon) you can give to it a very brutal quenching and it can not break too easy.

In addiction some thinks may never break, like in "ideal" pure iron, you can give any quenching thet it don't break, but also gain no resistence.

also if you want, i already studied a little about heat tratament in university, and i can search something more to put here.

Use of commum alloys and alloys microalloyed (alloys with very little amount of other materials) can be and very big expansion to things, maybe with can make more uses to some of ores.

Also if you want something more complex, sometimes you can use 2 stages of quenchings to get an better material:

example(real life again): you can get hot steel, cool a little with oil until it set in a band of temperature per time (due internal cinetics), and so you quench with water, this make you get one "material" that isn't too hard as if it was cooled only in water ( but it still very hard ) and also its more resistant (it don't cracks too easy). Using some alloys (like using some chrome can make easier (or harder?)) to get this better "material" due it makes this band of (cristaline) transformation bigger. Using some alloys also can let you get anothers types of "materials" or make the process easier or faster.

Use of "alloys (this have another name)" in glass also can produces glass more resistant to heat, for example (also know as pyrex [search in wikipédia])

sorry for the bad english xD I must learn this better.

-snip-

Excellent post mate !

I study the heat treatment of metal at university myself :)

The system I described in the post earlier was a (very) simplified version of the principles of metal heat treatment. I didn't want to go too in depth at risk of alienating too much of the community.

I like the idea of glass tempering being made available though :D

there is one type of alloy named cunife which is used to reinforce glass

made of:60% copper (Cu) , 20% nickel(Ni), 20%iron (Fe)

its quite a strong alloy with a high melting point

perheps it could be an alternetive of steel?

there is one type of alloy named cunife which is used to reinforce glass

made of:60% copper (Cu) , 20% nickel(Ni), 20%iron (Fe)

its quite a strong alloy with a high melting point

perheps it could be an alternetive of steel?

eh i forget do we have nickel in TFC?

eh i forget do we have nickel in TFC?

Yes there is. You currently need it to make black steel and I can't find any.

Yes there is. You currently need it to make black steel and I can't find any.

ah,

yknow is it sad that even though im active on the TFC forums, i havn't actually played TFC in months?

ah,

yknow is it sad that even though im active on the TFC forums, i havn't actually played TFC in months?

blasphemy.

blasphemy.

im so sorry!!! I REGRET EVERYTHING!!!!!!11!

-cries in a corner-