Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

54 posts in this topic

If you want to learn dwarf fortress I recommend a book called "getting started with dwarf fortress". You can google it and find a free download pretty easily. I would also advise you download the "lazy newb pack" because it comes with a texture pack and a couple of utilities :)

i got the Lazy Newb Pack, a Let's Play Tut told me. it makes things easier, certianly

I refused to start DF with a texture pack. I was determined to learn it with the tiles as-is. It took me a few days but I finally got it down (though I haven't played in a few months so I don't know if I remember enough).

I refused to start DF with a texture pack. I was determined to learn it with the tiles as-is. It took me a few days but I finally got it down (though I haven't played in a few months so I don't know if I remember enough).

There's a line for me regarding graphics, and ascII is it I think. I didn't use a TP because it was too hard, I use it because the vanilla game is painfully ugly (to me) otherwise. It actually gave me headaches looking at all those wee symbols :S

I actually use a texture set that just takes the default tiles and makes em bigger (and square) and run the game full screen.

Oddly appropriate, that the Off Topic discussion on the Caves? thread is about Dwarves living in Caves...

so yeah back on topic... caves

so yeah the current cave spawn in vanilla is rather silly, there arent caves that reach from the surface to the core of the earth, most caves only form higher up and are usually shallow, also, te larger ones are usually wet because they were carved (out of limestone usually) by water running or dripping through them for millenia.

so make caves almost never spawn in hard rocks like granite and spawn a little more commonly in softer stuff like limestone

so yeah the current cave spawn in vanilla is rather silly, there arent caves that reach from the surface to the core of the earth, most caves only form higher up and are usually shallow, also, te larger ones are usually wet because they were carved (out of limestone usually) by water running or dripping through them for millenia.

so make caves almost never spawn in hard rocks like granite and spawn a little more commonly in softer stuff like limestone

There are caves that spawn in the harder rocks, just not the ones formed by water. For example, lava tubes run all over hawaii's big island. (which I think is made of basalt? idk)

-.-'' i chose sneakybeaver username because beavers are animals i love and sneaky is because when i was playing with friends i was always sneaking to troll them and stuff so they called me sneakybeaver so that is why my username is sneakybeaver so STFu

-.-'' i chose sneakybeaver username because beavers are animals i love and sneaky is because when i was playing with friends i was always sneaking to troll them and stuff so they called me sneakybeaver so that is why my username is sneakybeaver so STFu

We are not making fun of you, man. We just have our minds in the gutter, so stuff like this happens. I apologize for my part in this, sorry, man.

-snip-

Indeed mate :) Needn't worry about a bit of friendly joking :P We aren't mocking you, we just found the name quite funny :)

You'll find that most people on here are absolutely lovely and wouldn't do anything to offend you intentionally :)

We are not making fun of you, man. We just have our minds in the gutter, so stuff like this happens. I apologize for my part in this, sorry, man.

Don't apologize, it was funny.

If he wants to be uptight and unfriendly, that's his business

Indeed mate :) Needn't worry about a bit of friendly joking :P We aren't mocking you, we just found the name quite funny :)

You'll find that most people on here are absolutely lovely and wouldn't do anything to offend you intentionally :)

Except me.

-snip-

Well yes, you are the servers token asshole though. We need you :P

Well yes, you are the servers token asshole though. We need you :P

Oi!

I am not token... *hrmph*

Oi!

I am not token... *hrmph*

Haha :P :P

You're right, but pet asshole just didn't do you justice and arch asshole sounds like your head of some kind of guild specializing in insults and put downs :P

i'm not trying to be unfriendly. BTW what mods should i use with TFC? especialy for storage other than backpacks because i have those

If you're looking for storage mods, i think the iron chests mod works with TFC... Also, Smart moving is just the perfect combination with the game.

i'm not trying to be unfriendly. BTW what mods should i use with TFC? especialy for storage other than backpacks because i have those

Well in the interim I'd recommend ender storage I suppose, idk if it's compatible...

But soon in-world storage will be prevalent in TFC, and solving your storage woes by your own merit (as opposed to 'cheating' with other mods) will be a deeply ingrained part of the game.

Think log piles, but for a lot more than logs

If you're looking for storage mods, i think the iron chests mod works with TFC... Also, Smart moving is just the perfect combination with the game.

Iron chests mod only works with TFC if you cheat in vanilla items. Technically, I think all the items for ender storage (ender pearls, blaze rods, wool, chests, and obsidian) can all be obtained in TFC without cheats, even if you're not really supposed to

I can't imagine playing TFC without Smart moving just because it melds so well with it. not to mention they both use player API so you are gold in that department (though I haven't played since long before that was put in)

The fewer mods we have to include in the mod, the better, and the latter idea was already suggested before.

I think you are confused about the cave mechanics in TFC.

I recommend *anyone* in this thread who believes the cave mechanics in TFC are somehow more realistic than vanilla to download a copy of minecraft x-ray, and mcedit.

You'll see the caves in TFC are both, *far* more swiss-cheesy, *far* more likely to go from ~5 blocks from ground level to the static lava layer.

The principal difference is simply that the caves in TFC are most likely bugged in the fact that they rarely break ground - they stop around 5 blocks beneath it in 99% of cases.

Minecraft X-ray. No need for assumptions, you can look at the mechanics yourself.

(This should not be construed to say that I dislike the TFC cave mechanics... I like long loopy wormy criss-crossy caves. Lots of area to explore.)

I think you are confused about the cave mechanics in TFC.

I recommend *anyone* in this thread who believes the cave mechanics in TFC are somehow more realistic than vanilla to download a copy of minecraft x-ray, and mcedit.

You'll see the caves in TFC are both, *far* more swiss-cheesy, *far* more likely to go from ~5 blocks from ground level to the static lava layer.

The principal difference is simply that the caves in TFC are most likely bugged in the fact that they rarely break ground - they stop around 5 blocks beneath it in 99% of cases.

Minecraft X-ray. No need for assumptions, you can look at the mechanics yourself.

(This should not be construed to say that I dislike the TFC cave mechanics... I like long loopy wormy criss-crossy caves. Lots of area to explore.)

Agree! i have x-ray texture pack and i see a ravine here and there but but the only cave i fond is one in desert biome and it had some tetrahidrate exposed and i filled 5 backpacks(alt inv mod) with bistmunt...,sphalerite and tethraderite...

did you mean leather or what?

No, latter, it means the last, whereas former means the first, it's often used when talking about options or lists.

And guys, really? using a mod that increases difficulty, then using a x-ray pack? that's no fun.