Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
danagor

How SSP players should play?

79 posts in this topic

Hello this may be a fool question but i'll do it any way...

First of all i love this mod, can't play vanilla MC anymore, so Bioxx you're amazing keep up the good work!!!

Now my question, i'm used to play alone, mostly because none of my friends around here likes MC so i have to play on my own, and i haven't looked for a server cuase i'm usually not able to play when everybody is on and i feel like i'm alone most of the time... so here's the question as an SSP player should i play like usual (Creating a new game non server world) or should i make my own server so time in minecraft doesn't stop (yeah i plan to leave the server on so time goes by as i'm away working, etc.) because now you have to wait long periods of time to get some of the cool content to work like the fruit trees and crops also animal breeding is kind of hard to achive specially just playing barley 1h a day...

Also if there's any server that you know i could join that would be cool too thanks and i know it's a silly question but feel i had to ask...

my suggestion, find a server strike off in a direction and play alone, best of both worlds, don't have to worry about running the server and some time, maybe, you'll get to show off your awesome... whatever it is you just made!

Running a server helps with fruit trees and crops taking a long time to grow. I run a server for my girlfriend and I to play and leave it running while we're at work to keep things moving when we can't play. Like you said playing SSP logging out when you're not playing takes too long for things to grow.

I'm wondering about this as well.

If there any point to me playing a single player world? Being as I really don't feel like playing on a server with my work taking me away from any place that has a reliable internet connection.

There's a very active server called "Dig, Hiss, Boom" You don't need to worry about the super loooong season wait, and you don't have to run the server. There are enough players that you may run into people if you want to team up, but not so many that your base will be crawling with griefers and thieves. The admins are also VERY nice and helpful.

I'm wondering about this as well.

If there any point to me playing a single player world? Being as I really don't feel like playing on a server with my work taking me away from any place that has a reliable internet connection.

Nah, we've pretty much stopped all development for SSP features. It's really simple to set up a local server that you can have running 24/7, so it's probably the best way to play.

Also, fellow Canadian???

(if you're not from Ontario, don't hate me for being from Toronto =P)

I'm a fairly solo player as well, I usually find a server and head off to be a hermit except when doing some basic trading or showing off my impressiveness. That said, I'm with Jake: Dig, Hiss, Boom is one of the best servers I've been on of the 6 or so I've tried. It's a hardcore server, so if challenge is not your goal it's probably not a good idea, but it's otherwise maintained well and it's the only Terrafirmacraft server I've seen thus far where the admin not only cares if you get griefed or robbed, but has the ability to find the person who did it and ban them and return your things.

There's a very active server called "Dig, Hiss, Boom" You don't need to worry about the super loooong season wait, and you don't have to run the server. There are enough players that you may run into people if you want to team up, but not so many that your base will be crawling with griefers and thieves. The admins are also VERY nice and helpful.

I'm trying to log into that server but seems to be closed thou i'll keep trying thanks :D

Nah, we've pretty much stopped all development for SSP features. It's really simple to set up a local server that you can have running 24/7, so it's probably the best way to play.

Also, fellow Canadian???

(if you're not from Ontario, don't hate me for being from Toronto =P)

Thats good to know thanks :) tho you should mention that somewhere in the wiki or something should be helpful for any newcommer abd keep up the good work :D

That could be rather costly in terms of energy - running computers isn't free, and they burn more energy when they're under load. Also, that's basically forcing people to just sit and wait in order to play the game. This isn't some smartphone game, unless of course you want people to start buying BioxxBux to speed up time. It's very unfun design.

There are very few things that would need to be done in order to make this game better for SSP, and the things that could be done that would make it better for SSP would also make it better for SMP - namely adding the ability to customize things like world sizes and year lengths.

At the moment, the mod is inaccessible to people playing SSP and LAN, and less accessible to people playing on smaller SMP servers, mostly due to the forced waiting. It's also problematic because if you wait too long, all of the sudden you're plants wither while you're gone. I don't want to have to worry about fake crops while I'm at work.

At least prior to the agricultural changes, this mod was great to play SSP. Now, not so much. I'm really really looking forward to some customization options because that will make this mod playable again. It has some of the best features of any mod and really changes the game into something more enjoyable than vanilla, so it would be a shame if it remained broken.

That could be rather costly in terms of energy - running computers isn't free, and they burn more energy when they're under load. Also, that's basically forcing people to just sit and wait in order to play the game. This isn't some smartphone game, unless of course you want people to start buying BioxxBux to speed up time. It's very unfun design.

There are very few things that would need to be done in order to make this game better for SSP, and the things that could be done that would make it better for SSP would also make it better for SMP - namely adding the ability to customize things like world sizes and year lengths.

At the moment, the mod is inaccessible to people playing SSP and LAN, and less accessible to people playing on smaller SMP servers, mostly due to the forced waiting. It's also problematic because if you wait too long, all of the sudden you're plants wither while you're gone. I don't want to have to worry about fake crops while I'm at work.

At least prior to the agricultural changes, this mod was great to play SSP. Now, not so much. I'm really really looking forward to some customization options because that will make this mod playable again. It has some of the best features of any mod and really changes the game into something more enjoyable than vanilla, so it would be a shame if it remained broken.

You know... you could just change the config file "TFCOptions.cfg" there is an option there to make the day be shorter

You know... you could just change the config file "TFCOptions.cfg" there is an option there to make the day be shorter

Buggy feature. Mobs spawn in the daytime hours, REI's minimap shows day when it is night etc.

Depending on the power of your computer, you can run a server for yourself, if you really want to. I play SSP to test or kill time between updates when my husband doesn't feel like playing through bugs. We ran our server on his computer for a while, until a couple friends wanted to play with us. Now we rent one, and let me tell you as the farmer, you REALLY want that extra time for crops to grow!

Have you tried playing with the day lasting two minutes? That just doesn't work. There needs to be a config option to plug into the year-length variable.

Depending on the power of your computer, you can run a server for yourself, if you really want to. I play SSP to test or kill time between updates when my husband doesn't feel like playing through bugs. We ran our server on his computer for a while, until a couple friends wanted to play with us. Now we rent one, and let me tell you as the farmer, you REALLY want that extra time for crops to grow!

Yeah, which is why there needs to be configuration option. Some people might play slowly over the course of a week, in which case giving the crops time to grow works for SMP- you play for an hour or two, log back in the next day, etc. It doesn't work if you only play on the weekends - a couple of years go by per week and your plants have to go through winter. Nor does it work if you want to play for several hours at a time or if you don't have a server, or if you can't leave your LAN up. The game shouldn't force you to run a server if you want to play, nor should it force you to check in on a daily basis.

There are a lot of reasons why a configurable setting is important, not just for SSP, but for some SMP players and for some LAN players.

Yeah I have to agree as a SSP player.

Before the agriculture change the mod was perfect for SSP now after the change it's not as playable, if at all.

I would like to see something changed but that might never happen.

Bioxx has stated that (and I forget in which thread) as far as this goes he doesn't give a crap about SSP players. Also, you really need to just deal with it. I'm a farmer IRL and I'm quite happy with the time to grow and how you have to get things planted early enough. If you really want to rely on farming, do what you do IRL and plant a shit ton of seeds. It's not like they're hard to get :P.

Bioxx has stated that (and I forget in which thread) as far as this goes he doesn't give a crap about SSP players. Also, you really need to just deal with it. I'm a farmer IRL and I'm quite happy with the time to grow and how you have to get things planted early enough. If you really want to rely on farming, do what you do IRL and plant a shit ton of seeds. It's not like they're hard to get :P.

The issue isn't that seeds are hard to get. The issue is that seeds take too long to grow. And yes, while this is an issue for SSP, it's also an issue for LAN play and some SMP players as well.

As it stands, I can't play the mod just on the weekends, whether it's on SMP, SSP, or LAN - either too much time goes by, or not enough time goes by. I know I'm saying that over and over, but I keep on responding to comments like yours. And again, until this is resolved, the mod is broken, which is really disappointing because I liked where TFC was going.

The issue isn't that seeds are hard to get. The issue is that seeds take too long to grow. And yes, while this is an issue for SSP, it's also an issue for LAN play and some SMP players as well.

As it stands, I can't play the mod just on the weekends, whether it's on SMP, SSP, or LAN - either too much time goes by, or not enough time goes by. I know I'm saying that over and over, but I keep on responding to comments like yours. And again, until this is resolved, the mod is broken, which is really disappointing because I liked where TFC was going.

You're having to repeat what you say because you ain't listening.

Bioxx and dunk don't give a shit about SSP. It's the way it is. Their mod, not ours.

Besides, they have not 'broken' anything. Farming requires what it does IRL, time, sunshine, and rain.

If your issue with farming is you want to use it as your food source, then plant a shit ton of seeds. I'm a hardcore player too, it sure doesn't bother me. Everyone seems to like complaining about these "long travel times" and "impossible farming" and how "SSP is broken" when in reality these changes add awesome to SMP (which I have never played BTW) and depth to SSP.

Now if they DO add a feature that legit breaks SMP, (which I don't think they will) please, join me in protest!

Until then, Adapt.

You're having to repeat what you say because you ain't listening.

Bioxx and dunk don't give a shit about SSP. It's the way it is. Their mod, not ours.

Besides, they have not 'broken' anything. Farming requires what it does IRL, time, sunshine, and rain.

If your issue with farming is you want to use it as your food source, then plant a shit ton of seeds. I'm a hardcore player too, it sure doesn't bother me. Everyone seems to like complaining about these "long travel times" and "impossible farming" and how "SSP is broken" when in reality these changes add awesome to SMP (which I have never played BTW) and depth to SSP.

Now if they DO add a feature that legit breaks SMP, (which I don't think they will) please, join me in protest!

Until then, Adapt.

So, you either don't care about farming and just fish/hunt, or you have copious amounts of time to play video games. That's great for you. SMP people who don't mind checking daily are going to be okay too. It doesn't work for the rest of us.

I think the sunshine and rain bits are great. I think the nutrition bit is great. The *only* problem I have is that a year takes too long to pass. Part of the purpose of playing a game and not taking up gardening as a hobby instead is that you get to do things that you can't otherwise easily do in real life. Time is a factor of gameplay.

It's not a question of adaptation, it's a question of alienating a large portion of your potential audience.

And the fix is simple: variable year length. That's it, and *everybody* is happy.

I still don't see what the problem is. You can farm all you want, it'll just take you longer. That's something you'll have to deal with, because you don't have the time to put into the game. I understand that it's irksome, but that's just how it's gonna be.

As someone stated both bioxxx and dunk say they aren't really implementing features for SSP(which is kinda stupid imo, but meh it's their mod) so you are gonna have setbacks if you either can't play often enough single player wise, or can't hop into a server frequent enough.

I still don't see what the problem is. You can farm all you want, it'll just take you longer.

It's not a question of just taking a bit longer - at this point, it takes so long it might as well not be a part of the game.

This is a problem with a core game mechanic that just happens to affect SSP more than SMP because SMP presents some inherent workarounds to the issue.

You're obviously one of those online people so stuck in they're ways that you will never listen to anyone. Fuck this I'm done wasting my time.

i really only play TFC Because of the way the physics of the rocks and dirt work, and the metals, I agree with you on the Crops taking too long to grow, But hell i just play on peacefull and Singleplayer isn't so bad, No way i would ever play multiplayer, I just can't play with other people It is a shame they wont work on singleplayer which really sucks but hey what can you do.

It's not a question of just taking a bit longer - at this point, it takes so long it might as well not be a part of the game.

This is a problem with a core game mechanic that just happens to affect SSP more than SMP because SMP presents some inherent workarounds to the issue.

Well then don't farm and you can stop bitching. There is other ways of getting food besides farming, which you seem to either not want to do or forgot about. It isn't a problem for everyone else, just you who can't either spend enough time doing farming (which probably just means you are impatient) or don't have enough friends to play online with. Yes it takes a while to grow things, that's the point. Same with animal breeding, to add a sense of accomplisment to the game.

You're obviously one of those online people so stuck in they're ways that you will never listen to anyone. Fuck this I'm done wasting my time.

I really would like you to understand where I'm coming from here. I understand that you might be defensive since I'm criticizing a mod that you apparently really like. The irony is that I really like TFC too, and that's why I'm so disappointed that this part of the game is broken. How would you feel if you got really excited about a part of the game, only to find out it didn't work? See, that's how I'm feeling - I was excited to see a shiny new TFC, only to discover that I just plain didn't have time to farm so that could never be a part of the game for me. 'I'm done wasting my time' is exactly how I've been feeling about agriculture in TFC.

Well then don't farm and you can stop bitching. There is other ways of getting food besides farming, which you seem to either not want to do or forgot about. It isn't a problem for everyone else, just you who can't either spend enough time doing farming (which probably just means you are impatient) or don't have enough friends to play online with. Yes it takes a while to grow things, that's the point. Same with animal breeding, to add a sense of accomplisment to the game.

Sure, some people don't have a problem with it, but can you agree that it sucks when a change to a game breaks it for some people?

Yes, there are alternative ways of playing, but can you understand that *this facet* of the game has been broken? It's not due to impatience. It's due to the simple fact that I can't afford to dedicate 30 hours to just waiting for my crops to grow. I simply have better things to do than that.

The people who have been able to make it work are doing so via workarounds, like leaving their game on or by logging out and checking on their crops the next day. But that's just it - they're workarounds for a flaw in a core game mechanic. What's great is that the way to fix this is a pretty simple configuration option that would be able to make the game better for everyone while not impeding SMP players who like checking in daily. It would certainly help some SMP players too.

It's no surprise the development of this hasn't been easy. TFC is basically a complete rewrite of vMC mechanics, and overall the job has been fabulous - I really want the devs to know that their work is appreciated. I also really don't want other people to play this mod and get turned off by it. I started playing way before the agricultural changes, and I don't want new players to get turned off by a single flawed mechanic in an otherwise interesting take on Minecraftian survival.