Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
bsb23

String

66 posts in this topic

This has been talked about a little recently so I figured it deserved its own thread. The first in depth conversation on string was in the Hemp thread when I brought up that there many other things that could easily replace hemp without the negative connotative affect. I posted a list from Wikipedia so I'm going to do the same here...

Animal

Alpaca

·

Angora

·

Byssus

·

Camel hair

·

Cashmere

·

Catgut

·

Chiengora

·

Guanaco

·

Llama

·

Mohair

·

Pashmina

·

Qiviut

·

Rabbit

·

Silk

·

Sinew

·

Spider silk

·

Wool

·

Vicuña

·

Yak

Vegetable

Abacá

·

Bagasse

·

Bamboo

·

Coir

·

Cotton

·

Flax(Linen)

·

Hemp

·

Jute

·

Kapok

·

Kenaf

·

Piña

·

Raffia

·

Ramie

·

Sisal

·

Wood

Mineral

Asbestos

Red = Already in-game

Green = We would like it to be added.

Additional materials suggested: Vines

These are all the non-synthetic there are many other types of newer string. We already have kapok and wood as well as spiders and sheep. Many of these things would be relatively easy to add also.

My idea was that we split these into groups based on their purpose. Silk for only clothing although its very warm. Fur fibers for clothing and insulation. Plant fibers for twine and rope. And then general String which could take everything else and be used for any extra leftover tasks. Oh and sinew that gets its own category I was thinking mostly bow strings.

Edit: Asbestos can be found in Serpentine a mineral already included in the game.

List of Uses for Strings/fibers/bla/bla bla...

Attaching Tool Heads (maybe)

Insulation

Warm Clothing

Bows

Iv said it before, I'll say it again. String+stick+tool head=tool. The tool does not magically sit on the stick!

That is all Ò.ó

There is a million uses for string in this game I'm too lazy to name them all off.

Agreed, this suggestion is very good. I just wanted to stress again that particular potential use for string.

Since I sense very little conversation coming for this as there is nothing controversial here besides groupings how about I get a list started and we can argue over groupings and which of these fibers we should use.

Wooden nails work by hammering in a 'nail' that is larger then the pre-drilled hole its going into. In effect, you CAN make a rock 'magically' attach to a stick if you do it right ;P

just saying

Wooden nails work by hammering in a 'nail' that is larger then the pre-drilled hole its going into. In effect, you CAN make a rock 'magically' attach to a stick if you do it right ;P

just saying

I like this because it's both true, and prevents me from having to gather string just to make my damned tools.

just saying

Of course you CAN, but it's nit believable to the average layman. Besides, why would Steve use that method when string is much stronger and easier? Just think it would add a extra layer of difficulty in a fun way to the game :)

Of course you CAN, but it's nit believable to the average layman. Besides, why would Steve use that method when string is much stronger and easier? Just think it would add a extra layer of difficulty in a fun way to the game :)

actually string would be the suckiest way to attach a tool head to a handle, there is no way you could get it tight enough to hold the head steady, and it is the least durable of any method. A wooden "nail" is much more believable, and plus, my idea of fun is NOT farming spiders all day so i can get string for fucking tools, the string to death ratio would be off the charts in the stone age, something like this:

string:deaths

1:5

that is in no way efficient, unless we got an effective stone age weapon (which i do not support), farming spiders for an axe would be a ridiculous proposition.

In terms of substituting the original hemp, linen is the closest. They're both bast fibers, obtained by retting/scutching/combing.

actually string would be the suckiest way to attach a tool head to a handle, there is no way you could get it tight enough to hold the head steady, and it is the least durable of any method. A wooden "nail" is much more believable, and plus, my idea of fun is NOT farming spiders all day so i can get string for fucking tools, the string to death ratio would be off the charts in the stone age, something like this:

string:deaths

1:5

that is in no way efficient, unless we got an effective stone age weapon (which i do not support), farming spiders for an axe would be a ridiculous proposition.

you do know that spiders arent going to be the sole method of gettig string right?

mostly you will get it from plant fibres and stuff like that

you do know that spiders arent going to be the sole method of gettig string right?

mostly you will get it from plant fibres and stuff like that

ok, then it's slightly

i still think string is something that would likely come after a stone axe in a tech tree, processing any of those plants/animal coats into string requires more advanced technology than what you would have in the stone age.

ok, then it's slightly

i still think string is something that would likely come after a stone axe in a tech tree, processing any of those plants/animal coats into string requires more advanced technology than what you would have in the stone age.

well you could also use vines or strong peices of bark/thin twgs to bind the tool head to the stick

Posted Image

See this? See how the handle is pushed up through the tool head, and then a wedge is driven into the wood to force it against the inside of the hole? This is the best way to fasten a tool. Animal sinew was decent, and was also used, but this is by far the superior method. Plant fiber string is terrible for this, seeing as animal sinew has elastin which makes it stretchy and rubbery, whereas plant fibers are all cellulose chains which are non-elastic

See this? See how the handle is pushed up through the tool head, and then a wedge is driven into the wood to force it against the inside of the hole? This is the best way to fasten a tool. Animal sinew was decent, and was also used, but this is by far the superior method. Plant fiber string is terrible for this, seeing as animal sinew has elastin which makes it stretchy and rubbery, whereas plant fibers are all cellulose chains which are non-elastic

well maybe this could be how you fasten later teir tools

maybe stone tools wouldnt have handles at all, you ever seen neolithic hand axes?

There is one very simple problem with that picture I highly doubt that many people could drill a hole directly through stone with only knapping. No handle could work but I like the idea of having no handle give you a slight mining debuff. With metal tools however Eternal I hope that wedges are allowed.

Yeh, you can wedge it with metal, but stone tools? The were historically connected with sinew and such. And of course you wouldn't be farming spiders, this is a thread on how else to make string, duh!

I'm tired though so I'm probably just being stupid :P

string and by extension rope would be cool. i dont understand the hemp thing though. hemp has no psychoactive properties at all.

string and by extension rope would be cool. i dont understand the hemp thing though. hemp has no psychoactive properties at all.

hemp. before it was discovered to be a drug, was turned into fibres that were used for rope and strings

Because hemp is taken from the fibrous shoot-like stems of the cannabis plant, the buds of which are crushed and consumed in various ways recreationally for their high content of THC.

Widespread usage would have been thought to increase recreational use of pot, though that's mostly bullshit.

William Randolph Hearst, a newspaper magnate with heavy stock in the paper industry and interests in the New York governorship, helped to push through and champion the marijuana transfer act of 1937, in an attempt to prevent hemp from replacing wood pulp as a cheaper alternative to paper, which would have cost him substantial amounts of dosh. The Du Pont family is also thought to have played a role, though I'm not quite clear what

But hemp isn't weed... I thought they were just in the same family and hemp contains no THC. I have hemp seeds in my granola...

Anywho, I do like the idea of extension ropes.

Honestly, I don't give a crap about what part of the plant is used and what isn't my point is, is that there are plenty of plants on that list that could easily replace its usage in Minecraft without everyone thinking about the first thing people think about when I say Hemp. Will we add Weed into Minecraft ever I sure don't think so even if we added Hemp however I know many people would associate us with these "bad things" and not download (that was one of the four reason I never played BTW).

That was one of the four reason I never played BTW.

A lot of the negative connotations in the mod don't actually mean anything, but were introduced to piss off the wolfaboos (wulvz AR bestest thang in minceraft EVER!) that constantly hate on the mod. Their reactions are funny enough on their own, but it's even funnier for people who see the subtle trolling going on in the background.

And if hemp ends up being an interesting gameplay element in its own right? Bonus points.

Im actually all for Hemp for the simple fact its wide array of uses. And if you read the wiki that the OP has, then you would understand that Hemp its self is NOT the illegal substance(however the US does not actively distinguish between it and its better known cousin Marijuana)

If people want to stay stupid and choose not to play over a plants name, thats on them. If they want to be smart, they should do the research.

I understand Ignorance(lack of knowledge), but have no tolerance for Stupidity(choice to not gain knowledge)

Im actually all for Hemp for the simple fact its wide array of uses. And if you read the wiki that the OP has, then you would understand that Hemp its self is NOT the illegal substance(however the US does not actively distinguish between it and its better known cousin Marijuana)

If people want to stay stupid and choose not to play over a plants name, thats on them. If they want to be smart, they should do the research.

I understand Ignorance(lack of knowledge), but have no tolerance for Stupidity(choice to not gain knowledge)

It's all the same plant (cannabis sativa), it's just that industrial is bred specifically for low THC content, and recreational is bred for high (lol)