Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Revenge519

Grinders

87 posts in this topic

Oh, so you're saying over-grinding might make a tool useless?

As I uh... briefly glossed over in another thread.. *ahem* that I posted *cough* recently... *Ahehem* ooh, sorry, sore throat...

not useless, but it is possible to make it too thin and if you make it thin in some places and thick in others, you would lose the ability to make a clean slash.

I'm not sure what you're implying here. I just mentioned stone tools because I figure if you tried to grind a stone tool into a sharper edge it would probably just break pieces off instead, and not in the way you wanted. From what I understand of knapping you're not really sharpening the stone into an edge, just breaking it in such a way that it forms an edge where it breaks.

Also, as far as the metal tools I was saying that they you'd still be able to create tools without grinding an edge. The grinding would be an additional, optional step to try and make a better edge.

Knapping a tool is the process of giving it a sharp edge, as well as forming it into the required shape. stone types suitable for knapping (not all, usually stones like chert, obsidian, etc.) easily form sharp edges.

A stone could be a basic thing, and metal more advanced. But what is the point in this? Are you suggesting sharpening would restore durability? Or what? Cause I don't get it.

@1SDAN

Post something, edit it, quicklyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

empty post is empty, and useless

empty post is empty, and useless

Do you have OCD?

Do you have OCD?

No, just a low tolerance for stupidity.

It just seems like you do.

It just seems like you do.

Noo , achartran looks normal for me.

Noo ,Achartran looks normal for me.

achartran, right? He complained about that previously

achartran, right? He complained about that previously

Did I make something wrong? Does he want to melt?

Ah, the capitalized a, I guess. Ok modifying my post...

You know self tolerance is vital to a healthy life style ;D

Grinders sounds really cool, but i think they should be something optional for additional benefits rather than something required to advance in the game.

My thoughts are: Since sharpening/grinding a tool would actually remove some of the material, the tradeoff for using the grinder would actually be some durability (like 5% or so)

The reward you get for doing it right (it would ofcourse need a small minigame) would be an appropriate ability added to the item (sharpness/efficience etc.), maybe for 20% of the durability of the item.

Failing at the minigame would mean removing too much material from the item, thus reducing the durability even further.

I think a system like this would be better than having enchanting giving you these traits, but that could ofc. be because i'm partially biased about the enchantment system as it is in vanilla minecraft (player levels should follow/enchance the player, not being transferred to tools/weapons/armor.)

i realize similar suggestions are made, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents :)

Grinders sounds really cool, but i think they should be something optional for additional benefits rather than something required to advance in the game.

ok, here's a benifit, getting actually usefull tools,

you could of course make your tools, and not sharpen them, they would be completely horrible, but you could use them,

the fact that the sharpening removes some material, does not automatically make the tool less durable

enchantments should be saved for well, yknow, enchanting -cuz honestly being sharp doesnt exactly count as being enchanted-

-

ok, here's a benifit, getting actually usefull tools,

you could of course make your tools, and not sharpen them, they would be completely horrible, but you could use them,

the fact that the sharpening removes some material, does not automatically make the tool less durable

enchantments should be saved for well, yknow, enchanting -cuz honestly being sharp doesnt exactly count as being enchanted-

-

I think you are getting too caught up in the sharpness/effectiveness being enchants. Like i said, i am a little biased on the enchantment system, not really thinking everything in it really should count as enchantments.

The way i see it, this mods tries to enchance the gameplay by increasing difficulty, and at the same time give more reward for player skill in as many areas as possible. Thus the natural progression in such a system for me, would be to make as many traits of the weapons and tools possible dependant on different skill. This will also allow for more spezialization towards master craftsmen, as well as give you more cntrol of what traits you want to aim for in your tools/weapons.

I agree with you on the durability cost for grinding not making much sence though, but it could realistically atleast be a penalty for failing the grinding process.

Maybe make the cost for using the grindstone some hard to obtain oil? (As mentioned earlier in the thread) possibly obtaiable from refinement of a plant?

welp, talked to Bioxx.

/stomped

welp, talked to Bioxx.

/stomped

That bad?

welp, talked to Bioxx.

/stomped

What, who is stomped, you?

welp, talked to Bioxx.

/stomped

I guess you mean that your idea was stomped by Bioxx...?

welp, talked to Bioxx.

/stomped

Really Bioxx? Atleast give some reasoning Dunk!

NOOOOOOOOOO!

(What? There's no "dislike" or even "NOOOO!" button)

Atleast give some reasoning Dunk!

you must be new here...

you must be new here...

Ya, joined Sept 26. Does Bioxx usually not give reasoning, or is that only Dunk that actually explains why it is a no?

Ya, joined Sept 26. Does Bioxx usually not give reasoning, or is that only Dunk that actually explains why it is a no?

switch that, reverse it

then you will get the picture

switch that, reverse it

then you will get the picture

Ok. Thank you. SUGAR NOODLES.