Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
puxapuak

Some possible ambient effects - temperature/seasonal influence

38 posts in this topic

So I searched around a bit and didn't see much mention of any of these so I thought I'd start a new topic with an assemblage of small suggestions in it. These are just little things that could be added to increase awareness of some less-than visible environmental effects. Also much more easily implementable than that other thing I suggested.

A number of people have talked about crops failing and temperature dependency of such things. I thought it would be kind of neat to have little wispy puffs of haze occasionally show up just in front of you and nearby animals when the temperature gets below 3-4C. This would add a nice visual indicator for an environmental factor that is otherwise invisible to a player. Similarly in more humid environments the walking graphics could be changed to the little splash rain drops make to show dew, instead of kicking up brown stuff. Or maybe add just a little bit of slip while moving.

Also with temperature, healing could take place a bit slower (I don't know how easily that could be coded though) and you would get hungrier a little faster.

Another thing was birds. People have brought up birds before, but rather than actually making full mobile entities that chew up resources, it could be just a little visual effect (particle - like redstone sparkle) with some bird songs to go with it. Different types of environments could have different types of songs being played, and at different seasons. Or in tall forests, the hammering of a woodpecker played sporadically.

Small jumping insects could be added in the same way, with various buzzing and chirping they do. Or near-surface underground, occasionally a little wormy creature slithering across the block face. In the evening, cricket chirps through the summer and fall, and the occasional firefly. (Have you ever been in an Iowa corn field on a warm July/August night? Quite the site.) Zombies could even have a trail of flies follow them from time to time.

Could have an alternate cloud layer that occasionally shows flocks of geese overhead depending on season with the distant avian combination played in the background quietly.

Thoughts? Additions?

Edit:

I think this would totally increase the spook factor in places too. If your eyes are being caught and attention dancing around when its dark by the animals in the environment, it's much easier to miss and be startled by some zombie that crept up on you.

While this sounds amazing, I don't think it will happen for a while. I think game-play elements need to come first and then we can get all the aesthetic stuff if Bioxx and Dunk are up to it.

Also, I have a small addition, When in a dark cave (or crypt, when those happen) you could hear a small scrabbling sound, like something is following you, unseen from the shadows, but nothing is there when you turn around. This would add a nice layer of immersion and give you a bit of a scare sometimes.

The mod MAtmos does just this. It's amaaazing. :D

The mod MAtmos does just this. It's amaaazing. :D

MAtmos seems too... nice. TFC needs its own gritty version, with some extra creepiness :)

Also, MAtmos doesn't do visual effects just sounds.

heres an idea

when the regional temp goes down below freezing you can see your breath infrount of yonu and on surfaces like glass

heres an idea

when the regional temp goes down below freezing you can see your breath infrount of yonu and on surfaces like glass

...he already said that in the OP

crap sorry i was really tired >.<

We all make the mistake sometimes :)

Treyflix, I'm trying out MAtmos. Pretty good, and I notice the same engine can be manipulated too. Maybe TFC just needs its own sound DB for it... I do agree with Achartran too that TFC needs to be grittier. Still, in the meantime this makes at least the audio environment a little more pleasant.

[and then I spilled coffee all over myself. crap. karmic retribution for avoiding my thesis.]

Also, I have a small addition, When in a dark cave (or crypt, when those happen) you could hear a small scrabbling sound, like something is following you, unseen from the shadows, but nothing is there when you turn around. This would add a nice layer of immersion and give you a bit of a scare sometimes.

The thing is, if there's never anything there, why would you be scared of it? granted, it'll raise the pulse of some new players but they too will eventually figure out that it's just an ambient sound. much like the ambient cave echoes in vanilla minecraft. i remember i almost shat my pants the first time that sound blasted my headphones. but now it's nothing more but an ambient sound which i am indifferent about.

The sound of mobs however. now that's that different story! Everytime i hear footsteps that are not my own i come to a halt, hold my breath and listen. is it a spider? a skeleton? zombie or enderman? all these mobs will eventually make a distinctive sound that helps me prepare myself. A creeper, however, does not! and that's when i start flipping out. (especially with this mod since.. you know.. if a creeper explodes i'm gonna get a shit ton of cobble ontop of my head.) So the abscence of sound is what makes me feel fear when cave mongling.

What i'm saying is, sounds that poses no real danger to your player will never really be scary.

Achartran

Why the fuck does everyone capitalize my name?!

The thing is, if there's never anything there, why would you be scared of it? granted, it'll raise the pulse of some new players but they too will eventually figure out that it's just an ambient sound. much like the ambient cave echoes in vanilla minecraft. i remember i almost shat my pants the first time that sound blasted my headphones. but now it's nothing more but an ambient sound which i am indifferent about.

The sound of mobs however. now that's that different story! Everytime i hear footsteps that are not my own i come to a halt, hold my breath and listen. is it a spider? a skeleton? zombie or enderman? all these mobs will eventually make a distinctive sound that helps me prepare myself. A creeper, however, does not! and that's when i start flipping out. (especially with this mod since.. you know.. if a creeper explodes i'm gonna get a shit ton of cobble ontop of my head.) So the abscence of sound is what makes me feel fear when cave mongling.

What i'm saying is, sounds that poses no real danger to your player will never really be scary.

Maybe eventually there will be something to accompany that sound, maybe in crypts there could be some kind of "stalker" mob, perhaps a vengeful spirit? If you ever do this Dunk, I will shower you with likes until the day I forget to shower you with likes.

-snip-

I thought you hated double posts. Why did you just double post?

Maybe eventually there will be something to accompany that sound, maybe in crypts there could be some kind of "stalker" mob, perhaps a vengeful spirit? If you ever do this Dunk, I will shower you with likes until the day I forget to shower you with likes.

I lay awake one night and came up with a mob that i was gonna post as a suggestion to vanilla minecraft but then i though "naaah" and fell asleep.

What it would be like is a small jawa like creature that steal things from your chest if you don't put a tamed dog to guard it (or put a lock on it?)

the thing that this mob would add to the most however would be it's yellow glowing eyes that are constantly fixed upon you, no matter how far the distance is. as long as they are in your view they will stare at you. the result. a dark forest full of watching eyes, eager to lay hands on your belongings.

There's a bunch more to this mob including the sounds he would make but i feel like i'm being offtopic. maybe i'll toss something more in depth about him in that mob suggestions thread. come to think of it, on that list there is gnomes and goblins, he would most certainly fit in along either of those!

Why the fuck does everyone capitalize my name?!

Because names are proper nouns, and in the English language proper nouns are supposed to be capitalized

[thread_derail.start]

I thought you hated double posts. Why did you just double post?

holy shit, I... I didn't even notice :o

I feel so ashamed, you can find me in the corner if you need me

*mopes off*

Because names are proper nouns, and in the English language proper nouns are supposed to be capitalized

[thread_derail.start]

Yeah, but, it says right above my avatar achartran, not Achartran. That just looks weird o.O

and plus, dis it teh interwebz, woh curz abut grumar her?

Grammar nazis, adults that recently discovered internet, some commentarists in youtube...

...I just twitched so hard my neck cracked.

-reaches for one of many sharpened spoons-....

Oh you guys, you know I'm only joking, muh grumar isfien :)

-reaches for one of many sharpened spoons-....

You have a thing about spoons there... you know they don't work too well to elevate noodles (especially sugary ones) to one's mouth, right??? Of course if they're sharpened, why would you want to...

I wouldn't delve into that Pux, last guy who did lost his tounge... And sanity Ò.ó

You have a thing about spoons there... you know they don't work too well to elevate noodles (especially sugary ones) to one's mouth, right??? Of course if they're sharpened, why would you want to...

Careful, someone might spill the spaghetti sauce again ;P

You ask for too much.

Ambiance is important to me, but gameplay is important to TFC. Once we've worked it out, I will surely push Bioxx towards it.

You know italians use both forks and spoons for eating noodles, right?