Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Prospector's Pick

52 posts in this topic

Well, fists do an horribly low amount of damage in TFC, so yeah... nope, not even those guns :

"h"s in english are pronounced, so the indefinite article is "a" not "an"

The rule for "a" vs "an" is that if the word starts with a vowel SOUND, you use "an" but if it starts with a consonant sound you use "a". It's not dependent on whether or not it begins with a vowel LETTER.

Example:

a European country, (because Europe begins with a "Y" sound)

"h"s in english are pronounced, so the indefinite article is "a" not "an"

The rule for "a" vs "an" is that if the word starts with a vowel SOUND, you use "an" but if it starts with a consonant sound you use "a". It's not dependent on whether or not it begins with a vowel LETTER.

Example:

a European country, (because Europe begins with a "Y" sound)

Oh, yeah, sorry about that, i went derping for some reason there... Thanks for the correction

(And wow, it has been a while since you have to post something correcting my spelling : i'm getting better or you are letting some things go?)

Although when using a word where the 'h' is pronounced as the letter, rather than as part of the syllable, I'd usually reccoment 'an'.

'An HIV vaccine' rather than 'A HIV vaccine.'

It also gets rather tricky with the word 'herb' as some people pronounce the h, while others do not. Personally I prefer 'erb' over 'herb' but I don't think there are any hard rules about it.

in the US it's generally pronounced withOUT the H, elsewhere I wouldn't know.

Edited by renadi

in the US it's generally pronounced withOUT the H, elsewhere I wouldn't know.

I have some silly friends who pronounce the 'h'. They are silly.

Although when using a word where the 'h' is pronounced as the letter, rather than as part of the syllable, I'd usually reccoment 'an'.

'An HIV vaccine' rather than 'A HIV vaccine.'

It also gets rather tricky with the word 'herb' as some people pronounce the h, while others do not. Personally I prefer 'erb' over 'herb' but I don't think there are any hard rules about it.

Another example: an hour.

Another example: an hour.

Wait... the H is pronounced? .__. i always thought it wasn't...

EDIT: so Dunk doesn't has to correct me again... :P

What about "home"?

You can say "our" instead of "hour" but is anyone saying "ome" instead of "home"?

Same goes with "house" and "horse", "hour" is an exception where you can ignore the 'h'

What about "home"?

You can say "our" instead of "hour" but is anyone saying "ome" instead of "home"?

Home, yes, but hour IS pronounced our.

Haha LOL. Did you like the pyramid?

I cheated ;)

tab + space, and repeat.

I meant it's an hour not a hour.

Back to prospector's pick: Will the pick still come back with readings even if I mined out all the ore?

I meant it's an hour not a hour.

Back to prospector's pick: Will the pick still come back with readings even if I mined out all the ore?

No, the reading are dynamic and actually checking for ores around you. No ores no reading, and reading means there is ore.

No, the reading are dynamic and actually checking for ores around you. No ores no reading, and reading means there is ore.

yeah that always struck me a bit. It's not totally realistic, so it bugged me a little bit. But i guess it makes gameplay easier

yeah that always struck me a bit. It's not totally realistic, so it bugged me a little bit. But i guess it makes gameplay easier

How can it be otherwise? While generating, give each stone/dirt block a value about the ores around? That way you can only find readings on stones that preexisted you and you won't find any reading on blocks you placed, and readings won't change after removing the ores. This is a very good idea, but it will explode the save file size I think.

How can it be otherwise? While generating, give each stone/dirt block a value about the ores around? That way you can only find readings on stones that preexisted you and you won't find any reading on blocks you placed, and readings won't change after removing the ores. This is a very good idea, but it will explode the save file size I think.

no, I think you would just have to give blocks an extra data value. While ores are generating, change the surrounding rocks into rock blocks with data values appropriate to the ore type. It wouldn't have to scan much. Idk how much damage this would cause though. probably not too much more than partial blocks does.

no, I think you would just have to give blocks an extra data value. While ores are generating, change the surrounding rocks into rock blocks with data values appropriate to the ore type. It wouldn't have to scan much. Idk how much damage this would cause though. probably not too much more than partial blocks does.

Well, that what I said. Now stone (main block) have no info, only the map remembers that there is a block, now if the stone would also contain another value (let's say integer), the map size would rise by a factor of 2, which is the explosion I meant.

So actually it's a good idea to add it to the game.

Well, that what I said. Now stone (main block) have no info, only the map remembers that there is a block, now if the stone would also contain another value (let's say integer), the map size would rise by a factor of 2, which is the explosion I meant.

So actually it's a good idea to add it to the game.

The map remembers that there is a stone block and whether or not its been carved. also possibly what rock it is specifically, so the map currently has between 2 and 3 values for each rock. Would increase by factor of 1.5 or 1.333

The map remembers that there is a stone block and whether or not its been carved. also possibly what rock it is specifically, so the map currently has between 2 and 3 values for each rock. Would increase by factor of 1.5 or 1.333

Right, forgot about the damage value. By carved, you mean with a hammer?

Right, forgot about the damage value. By carved, you mean with a hammer?

chisel and hammer

chisel and hammer

so all the smooth, raw, cobble etc are all stones with special value?

so all the smooth, raw, cobble etc are all stones with special value?

no... I meant when you shave pieces off of the sides of blocks. You're aware of this feature, right?

no... I meant when you shave pieces off of the sides of blocks. You're aware of this feature, right?

I think no, all I know is that with chisel and hammer you can smooth then make stairs.