Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
The_Paragon

Incense

24 posts in this topic

Hello, all!

The following idea occurred to me as I was playing the other day, as I chopped down a cedar tree. I know that Bioxx has recently implemented a new (and excellent) spawn-protection system. As I understand it, spending time within a chunk increases an internal time counter, and when this counter reaches a certain threshold, fewer hostile mobs spawn within. Why not implement some kind of mechanic for a player to affect this?

As everybody is no doubt aware, hostile mobs are undead filth, and all undead filth detest the smell of incense. Obviously, this is why remote monastaries in the Himalayas burn incense - to keep the zombies away! Historically, incenses have been made from the bark and resin of fragrant woods such as Cedar, Cypress and other tropical trees - of which TerraFirmaCraft posesses three family members: the White Cedar, the mighty Sequoia, and the great Kapok. Incense might be obtained somehow from the logs of these trees.

In a nutshell: when burned, incense buffs the internal "habitation rating" of a chunk. Using such a method, players could keep a greater number of desired chunks habitable; this would be especially valuable to single or otherwise lonely players that can only be in one place at a time, or it could be used to "buff" the level of habitation of a new settlement, or just an area you want to be kept more safe.

From a mechanics standpoint, I can see this being implemented in a few different ways:

• The burned incense could provide a single boost in "lived-in time" added to the internal protection meter, a certain quantity for every stick.
  • Insence could simply provide a bonus trickle of "lived-in time" so long as it is burned within the chunk.
  • It could also decrease the rate at which the habitibility rating declines when a chunk contains no players.
  • Perhaps, the burned insence could increase the "habitation cap" of the chunk beyond the ordinary limit so long as it is burning.
Personally, I favor the last case as the player would still need to remain in the chunk to increase the habitibilty rating, but the buff provided by burning incense would allow the player a little more time away from home before the habitibility begins to drop, perfect for a lengthy prospecting expedition.

Thoughts?

Hi and welcome to the forums. First of all you need to know that mobs will be moved underground, then I think that the protection meter is a momentary solution to the spawning problem. What I mean is that making other things about the spawn protection would be useless because in the future it would have no uses if all the mobs are away. However now enjoy the forums!

I had no idea about those mob spawns being moved to underground, though it makes perfect sense. And, about the protection meter: Doesn't it just display the internal habitation level of the chunk? When you say the meter is a momentary solution, do you mean that the internal habitation level itself is temporary, or just this particular method of viewing it?

I had no idea about those mob spawns being moved to underground, though it makes perfect sense. And, about the protection meter: Doesn't it just display the internal habitation level of the chunk? When you say the meter is a momentary solution, do you mean that the internal habitation level itself is temporary, or just this particular method of viewing it?

I supposed this, because mobs are going to be moved, then I don't think that the protection meter will last forever. I think that the whole internal habitation is going to be changed, but to get these informations you should ask to a dev.

Yeah, not being sure if this would be a good long term situation I really like the idea, though only if the protection system is going to remain, otherwise it'd be too much work.

Huh, I thought for certain the spawn-protection system was more or less permanent. Since my suggestion kind of hinges on that, never mind it. Thanks for the information!

Well, it's not like burning fires, felling trees and all that stuff doesn't scare away animals, so protection can be moved to affect them instead. But I can tell that this suggestion can be exploited quite easily, which our devs don't want, I guess. With that said, exploiting will take a lot of time and resources, and added benefits are exceeding damage from exploits, I think.

which our devs don't want, I guess.

Another thing that you must know, The_Paragon, is that Bioxx doesn't like to say to the communuty his idea before coding it. This because, do you remember Notch? He said that he wanted to implement lots of things, but then...Bioxx is the opposite of Notch, he says a bit and he implements a lot.

I actually like the fact that Bioxx is the silent coder. It gives him an air of mystery... Like the Don Corleone of mods...

"I'm going to make you a mod you can't refuse... and if you do.. you sleep with the squid..."

Yea...

I like the idea of incense. I personally happen to love incense and think it would be a great idea to implement... if it were to be implemented for a reason other than something that "may be temporary".

I am not sure if the protection meter is temporary or not... though personally it is sorta like adding a microwave to the Flintstones... it seems outta place. Not that I do not like it, mind you. But I think that adding a hot-key that pulls up a window (like the calendar), or gives you a line of text telling you how the area "feels" might be a cool approach too.

using the incense to increase the healing capacity of a constructed place (or a place that has been inhabited regularly), however, is definitely a very doable idea.

And while I like the notion that incense was used to keep undead at bay, its use is more akin to creating a spiritual atmosphere... or even so for keeping one's wigwam from smelling like body odor when a hottie comes over. The Chinese started this fad (according to the magical wiki (though I am sure burning something that smelled nice was done prior to that... but they popularized it)), and it was composed of herbs, cinnamon, sandalwood, and the like. They used in in religious ceremonies... and again... for keeping stinky times under control.

Then it moved up through the ages in popularity. Now you have everything from Patchouli, Rain Forest and Sasquatch Bottom, all the way on up to who knows what.

I do like the idea of incense. But I would vote that it is used to increase the health recovery rate of a regularly visited habitat, and in that, that the incense be an indirect form, meaning it needs to be burned on a firepit by the player, and the effect in small quantities, so it does not become a broken or easily exploited.

I honestly don't think the spawn protection is temporal. Yes, the mobs we have now will be moved underground. HOWEVER, we will get other new mobs (specifically, natural beasts hunting for us, such as wolves, bears...), and with these, it will actually make sense for them not to spawn there: they will try to avoid an area they realise usually has dangerous stuff on it, such as fire.

And i personally love incense, so what a hell, i'm on for this suggestion :

True, and having ways to make our presence known(scent being primary among them) to the wild creatures would be wonderful, especially when setting up camps and such.

guys, why not just wall off or moat your entire terrain and light the inside up? nothing gets past :D

guys, why not just wall off or moat your entire terrain and light the inside up? nothing gets past :D

Except that torches will burn out eventually. I remember something about this being said by the dev.

Except that torches will burn out eventually. I remember something about this being said by the dev.

oh f'ing sh!t i am DOOMED! :(

HOWEVER, we will get other new mobs (specifically, natural beasts hunting for us, such as wolves,

Guy, I'll hunt you like a crazy killer.

The spawn protection with the animals seems too unbelievable, then I would prefer the incense for them. Also the smell of Steve The Caveman should act like a protection feature because it should keep small animals away.

Guy, I'll hunt you like a crazy killer.

The spawn protection with the animals seems too unbelievable, then I would prefer the incense for them. Also the smell of Steve The Caveman should act like a protection feature because it should keep small animals away.

That's exactly what i meant.

Oh, and i'm not worried about you hiunting me. You would be hunting me anyways if you knew what i did... c:

You would be hunting me anyways if you knew what i did... c:

Yeah, I know what you did, and now I'm here trying to not eat you. Mostly because I don't like rotten topic flesh...

OP suggestion is, to quote a great man, "worse than deep fried tampons".

1) As everyone else stated, monsters are being moved underground

2) The only time incense has ever been used to repel undead is if you're a goddamned Cleric of Pelor hefting a +2 heavy mace around

3) Repelling animals won't work except for passive mobs you want to KEEP around, because odd scents attract predators like wolves and bears looking for a new thing to snack on

using the incense to increase the healing capacity of a constructed place (or a place that has been inhabited regularly), however, is definitely a very doable idea.

And while I like the notion that incense was used to keep undead at bay, its use is more akin to creating a spiritual atmosphere... or even so for keeping one's wigwam from smelling like body odor when a hottie comes over. The Chinese started this fad (according to the magical wiki (though I am sure burning something that smelled nice was done prior to that... but they popularized it)), and it was composed of herbs, cinnamon, sandalwood, and the like. They used in in religious ceremonies... and again... for keeping stinky times under control.

Then it moved up through the ages in popularity. Now you have everything from Patchouli, Rain Forest and Sasquatch Bottom, all the way on up to who knows what.

I do like the idea of incense. But I would vote that it is used to increase the health recovery rate of a regularly visited habitat, and in that, that the incense be an indirect form, meaning it needs to be burned on a firepit by the player, and the effect in small quantities, so it does not become a broken or easily exploited.

Actually in the old enchanting thread I had a similar suggestion - Lumireaver posited the idea of adding Dracaena Cinnabari, the Dragonsblood Tree, and I had the idea of using its resin in the enchanting process and to craft an incense which - when burned - would double the rate at which you naturally regen health in a certain fixed radius

YOUR SUGGESTION IS REAL BAD AND BY THE WAY I THOUGHT OF IT PREVIOUSLY

Okay, so I made up the part about incense repelling undead in real life... I mean, obviously. I had to connect the dots somehow. Anyways, I feel there should be some mechanism for the player to spend time and resources to manually alter the habitability of the chunk, and that's really what this thread was supposed to be about. I merely proposed a means to this end, so let's talk about that instead.

Should there exist a method for the player to spend resources to protect against hostile spawns, and if so, what should that method be?

I feel there should be some mechanism for the player to spend time and resources to manually alter the habitability of the chunk

Steve, rubbing his sweaty body all over the walls so the rock itself will emanate the scent of strong male human living here.

Steve, rubbing his sweaty body all over the walls so the rock itself will emanate the scent of strong male human living here.

bad mental images are being formed as a result of this post, I hope that you are satisfied. :angry:

bad mental images are being formed as a result of this post, I hope that you are satisfied. :angry:

It's not bad, it's for keeping bears away.

and obviously any hope of a mate as well.

I don't think incense will make it's way into TFC because it's a smell thing, which you can't do in a game. We don't really like buffs like that :/