Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Vlad

Spawn protection

36 posts in this topic

I maybe missing something about it, but I don't see how it helps.

From what I understand you get protection in the specific chunk you stay in for a long time, and when you leave the chunk the protection drops extremely fast.

So what is the point of this? If I'm to stay home, I'm protected anyway. And I will always leave the chunk, when going mining or what ever.

Does anyone find this protection helpful is some way?

I actually have a mine base set right over top of my mine. Across the dirt road is my house, and there is a fruit tree grove and garden out back and alongside the house. The only time I leave is when I go hunting, foraging, or logging.

It has proven extremely useful since I the upper area of my mine is wide open, and I usually smelt and work in the forge late into the nights...

Posted Image

I have had not one problem with spawns ... even at the front gates...

Posted Image

So it definitely works and is useful depending on how often you chill in your digs.

I'm just quoting myself from that old thread...

Here is the thing:

1) Every chunk spawns with a protection time value (default, -24 hours in-game).

2) Every hour (again, in game) you stay in a chunk, it's protection time value rises, as well as the value of the 4 chunks in the side of that one (something like this:

NAN

AHA

NAN

Where N is a chunk with default value, H is the chunk where you have raised the value by staying, and A are the chunks which's value H is raising)

3) When you leave a chunk for an hour, it value will decrease, as well as will the value of the adjacents chunks. Note that, even though the default value is -24, it can be lower than that, depending on the time you have spent out of there.

4) As the value rises, mobs will spawn more rarely in that chunk, and as the value lowers, they will spawn more commonly. (A chunk with a value of -12 spawms half the mobs that another with a value of -24 does, and a chunk with a value of -48 spawns the double of mobs than the default chunk)

5) When the value reaches 0, mobs won't spawn anymore.

6) By spending more time in a 0 chunk, it will start to build up protection hours. They won't affect how much mobs can spawn, but they will serve you when you have to spend time somewhere away from your home, so it will pass no time unprotected even without you there.

The Protection meter just gives the player a way to know how much protection the chunk it is placed in has, green meaning "safe" and red meaning "unprotected". It will appear green only when the chunk has a value of 0 or superior, and it actually won't tell you the extra hours that chunk has. In itself, it won't affect that chunk's protection time at all.

It doesn't go down that fast, BTW.

GEEZUS MENOCH! Got a big enough house there?! O.o

Post more pictures please, that is really pretty!

Mostly talking about that front gate

Of course he does! There is a reason why he got "developer" on his title :

I just can imagine how Bioxx's house looks like...

Of course he does! There is a reason why he got "developer" on his title :

I just can imagine how Bioxx's house looks like...

Dude, his house is the entire world on every computer that has TFC installed on it. From Russia to Argentina to Canada to USA to Italy and more!

*whispers* I bet his house isn't very good because he spends all his time coding awesome stuff for us...

Yea... my house won't fit on these forums. :P

I don't code by the way... well not for TFC anyway. I write music for the game, and am trying to get sound effects status but I'm not sure yet. I think someone else does that stuff. On a side note I am currently developing a game, but it is hush hush. Ok... I'll give you a hint... it has a story... and stuff happens in it! YEA!

Yea... my house won't fit on these forums. :P

I'm sorry, you have to show us now. :blink:

Alright... but I warned you!

HAVE AT YOU!!!!

Posted Image

Alright... but I warned you!

HAVE AT YOU!!!!

Posted Image

i seriously rolled on the floor laughing.. thats epic!

I actually have a mine base set right over top of my mine. Across the dirt road is my house, and there is a fruit tree grove and garden out back and alongside the house. The only time I leave is when I go hunting, foraging, or logging.

It has proven extremely useful since I the upper area of my mine is wide open, and I usually smelt and work in the forge late into the nights...

I have had not one problem with spawns ... even at the front gates...

So it definitely works and is useful depending on how often you chill in your digs.

but my point stays the same, you need to stay at this specific chunk (16x16 blocks) without leaving it..

what do you have in that chunk that you didn't mine yet?

And like I said your house protects you anyway.

I'm just quoting myself from that old thread...

It doesn't go down that fast, BTW.

Well.. maybe if you go to the toilet it doesn't.

When I go mining, killing mobs or anything that is not in my house, once I'm back my protection is 0.

I think that the feature tries to simulate civilizing an area to an extent. It's an extra bonus for the player compared to Vanilla. Spend time in a chunk, you gain protection there AND and adjacent chunks. So if you stay in an area about 48x48 then you'll be gaining protection for that whole area. Yes, your house protects you physically, but this protection STOPS (or lowers) spawns, therefore you can work outside at night time where you otherwise wouldn't be able to. It's just extra for players who settle down and stay in an area to work.

Sorry i have to do this .

Ohhh mighty musical god menoch could you teatch me how to use a chisle and be as awesome as you?

end praise and humm i seem to be atracting mobs when i stay put that or im to far from my neighbours for them to keep our area protected

end praise and humm i seem to be atracting mobs when i stay put that or im to far from my neighbours for them to keep our area protected

I do think there are some issues with the protection, or it needs to be tweaked a bit to work properly. I completely understand the concept though.

I've not found it that useful. First off, mobs still spawn just outside the protection range and wander in or detect you, so you can't safely be outside your house at night anyway. Especially if it's only protecting the adjacent chunks and not the diagonally adjacent ones. Secondly, I still have to keep the whole area lit, because if I leave to go mining, which usually spends several game days away, I come back to mobs everywhere.

So nothing is really different. Torch forest is still the only way to reliably keep mobs away.

I've not found it that useful. First off, mobs still spawn just outside the protection range and wander in or detect you, so you can't safely be outside your house at night anyway. Especially if it's only protecting the adjacent chunks and not the diagonally adjacent ones. Secondly, I still have to keep the whole area lit, because if I leave to go mining, which usually spends several game days away, I come back to mobs everywhere.

So nothing is really different. Torch forest is still the only way to reliably keep mobs away.

Pretty much.

What I'm still trying to stress it's the word chunk, it's not big at all, it's very small, for example mobs can spot you from a chunk away, so this already makes it useless against mobs.

So unless the protection would go up to 5+ chunks away this just doesn't make any sense.

If the protection would include the corner chunks (i.e. 3x3 chunks) then it would be greatly improved.

5+ chunk radius is beyond overkill.

Well.. maybe if you go to the toilet it doesn't.

When I go mining, killing mobs or anything that is not in my house, once I'm back my protection is 0.

: When i go mining, i get back to an empty house in an empty chunk. Maybe you don't spend that much time in your home, or maybe i'm the fastest miner in TFC.

If the protection would include the corner chunks (i.e. 3x3 chunks) then it would be greatly improved.

5+ chunk radius is beyond overkill.

The idea of encompassing the corners I do think would help greatly. That, and draining the protection when you aren't there should occur slower; I mean you still have a house there, so I would assume things would still want to stay away until they KNOW nothing has been there in awhile..

There does seem to be a bug with SMP where when the chunk unloads it forgets its value. I have had sp of 500+ logged out, come back 5 min later and its back to -24.

It didn't do this before b66

Could just be the server I play on tho.

So this diagonal chunk thing could explain why it seems like mobs sometimes spawn right next to me (most notably creepers). If I'm standing in the corner of a chunk, an unprotected chunk is only 1 diagonal block away.

There does seem to be a bug with SMP where when the chunk unloads it forgets its value. I have had sp of 500+ logged out, come back 5 min later and its back to -24.

It didn't do this before b66

Could just be the server I play on tho.

I do think he acknowledged this an issue, but thought he fixed it. Maybe he didn't. Come to think of it, I have similar problems.

Even if you make it 2 chunks in radius, mobs still will notice you when they wonder around.

So again, unless it will be bigger, at least 4 chunks in radius, it's useless against mobs, and I don't see any other uses for this.

Like some other things in this mod, this still needs tweaks. To call it useless is shortsighted.