Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
jakebalance

New Chest Idea

20 posts in this topic

Sitting here brain storming a bit and I managed to come up with an idea. All these people talk about how there’s no 2x ingot storage and no place to put armor etc. I did some looking and didn’t' see an idea like this one so I figured I would post it and see what you guys thought.

2nd tier Chests. Crafted from taking a chest or 2 in a crafting table and combined with ingots of ?Pig Iron? to create a Large 2 block chest that can hold these certain Larger objects. This would give people a place to store their Armor and 2x ingots and etc. Obviously the iron comes in from reinforcing the regular chest to make it sturdier and larger to hold these bigger items along with a new texture of course. However Nerf the capacity of these chests maybe to just 2 rows of storage compared to the 4? that a regular 2 block chest has. Thoughts? Other Ideas? Lets do some constructive criticism!

Ingot piles are in the works, and display stands would be a better route to go with armor. The idea is to keep storage in-world, and minimize the use of chests.

I like the idea of making a 2 block high 'locker.' Maybe if you place 2 chests, one on the other, it makes a locker. Or you have to craft it from metal sheets. Armor definitely needs a different type of storage and I like the armor stand idea too.

Ultimately what would be great is to drop the 'small' items only in chests idea and have items take up the space they deserve. Maybe you can fit a chest plate in a chest, but then there might only be 4 slots for small items left... Sort of like how older RPG games worked with inventory...

Sort of like how older RPG games worked with inventory...

That would be nightmare for storage. Because most of the stuff didn't stack. Chests, as far as the eye can see!

Or you have to craft it from metal sheets. Armor definitely needs a different type of storage and I like the armor stand idea too.

I would like to see something to be made out of metal for that " stronger and more valuable feel. Even a 2 block high locker idea would be sweet. Even if its not for armor, for 2x ingots and etc.

Not really feeling the chest plate using multiple slot / RPG style. Maybe limit the maximum amount of Slots that are in the chest but im not personally a big fan of the Diablo style inventory management. it just feels like a cluster that way.

Ingot piles are in the works, and display stands would be a better route to go with armor. The idea is to keep storage in-world, and minimize the use of chests.

I think the idea of armor stands would be sweet and im totally all for it. However this would bring a little different aspect of the game when it comes to heavier and larger objects that need a seperate chest to be stored in. Take a sluice for example. You cant store it anywhere and its heavy. In reality its some boards and stuff that could be disassembled and put into a rather large and heavy stack. Using the bigger chest would allow you to store some of these larger items in it. However it does take more resources to create this chest including metals.

I would like to see something to be made out of metal for that " stronger and more valuable feel. Even a 2 block high locker idea would be sweet. Even if its not for armor, for 2x ingots and etc.

Not really feeling the chest plate using multiple slot / RPG style. Maybe limit the maximum amount of Slots that are in the chest but im not personally a big fan of the Diablo style inventory management. it just feels like a cluster that way.

I think the idea of armor stands would be sweet and im totally all for it. However this would bring a little different aspect of the game when it comes to heavier and larger objects that need a seperate chest to be stored in. Take a sluice for example. You cant store it anywhere and its heavy. In reality its some boards and stuff that could be disassembled and put into a rather large and heavy stack. Using the bigger chest would allow you to store some of these larger items in it. However it does take more resources to create this chest including metals.

But a sluice is a specialty item - you aren't going to ever be in a situation where you need a stack of them

Therefore, just don't store them. Place them in world, and there you go

yeah we're moving away from chests, for the most part.

yeah we're moving away from chests, for the most part.

And do you want to implement some new storage blocks or just able us to place the things on a table?

And do you want to implement some new storage blocks or just able us to place the things on a table?

new storage blocks I think. I may have heard whispers of barrels of some sort.

so you're going to make a storage unit for nearly every item, how would one go about storing stuff like ores then? i think chests should be adapted (and perhaps reskinned) to fit a certain type of item (anything valuable) they had chests in the Roman age, to lock away that which we didnt want people to get their hands on so easily ;)

Maybe there could be "tiers" of storage:

1. Burying: When items are surrounded by blocks on all sides, the items turn into a storage block. This is only able to hold small objects and is broken when it's not surrounded by other blocks.

2. Boxes: Made of one wood block and a knife. Holds 9 slots of small items.

3. Chest: Made with a circle of planks. Holds what is usually holds.

5. Locker: Made with two wooden blocks on top of each other and a knife. Then add the door with two planks. Holds 10 slots of small/medium items. (Two 1x5 columns)

6. Barrels: Made with one wooden block and a knife. Then add two planks. Holds water and small items.

7. Crate: 9 planks makes a wooden panel. Then put 8 panels in a ring. Holds Medium items, ores, and tools.

8. Metal variants: Just for aesthetics I guess.

so you're going to make a storage unit for nearly every item, how would one go about storing stuff like ores then? i think chests should be adapted (and perhaps reskinned) to fit a certain type of item (anything valuable) they had chests in the Roman age, to lock away that which we didnt want people to get their hands on so easily ;)

Bags could be a good storage for the ores. And for the ingots? Crates. And for the vegetables and the fruit? Small or big baskets and obviously again bags.

EDIT: Ok, 1SDAN was faster...

now for a bit of information i got out of a book series (based on archeological research) called the Earths Children, the caveman stored stuff inside something they actually called a quern too, basically they put stuff inside bags or sacks, and stored it between a lot of rocks, kind of 1sdan's tier 1 block surrounding.

Humans also used to store wheat and grains in a hole dug out in the ground and layered out with wicker, or some type of grass...

So it might be a thing if TFC ever gets to food spoiling ;d

I would personally prefer barrels and crates as main/only storage, supplemented with chests, tool racks and armor stands for valuables.

Humans also used to store wheat and grains in a hole dug out in the ground and layered out with wicker, or some type of grass...

I suggested this I don't remember where and I find it a good idea.

did you guys not read what I said? I said "we're moving away from chests"

and you were all like "hm. Nah, I don't like that, so here's a list of things that are the exact opposite of what you just said"

I told you a fact, i didn't put it up for discussion.

did you guys not read what I said? I said "we're moving away from chests"

and you were all like "hm. Nah, I don't like that, so here's a list of things that are the exact opposite of what you just said"

I told you a fact, i didn't put it up for discussion.

A lot of misunderstandings have been happening today wherever you post... :

A lot of misunderstandings have been happening today wherever you post... :

:(

:(

Come on, smile a bit. After all this is not the worst thing ever :)

Come on, smile a bit. After all this is not the worst thing ever :)

Definitely. If he'll smile while saying something, no one will want to argue with him.

Posted Image