Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
0Beechlgz

Boats are OP, rowing suggestion

24 posts in this topic

Although I've not had much success with the search I can imagine it's talked about that boats are a bit overpowered. I began to notice that myself when I was sailing in search of a tropical jungle in what seems like an endless ocean. In highs of 27C it's quite impressive that my character has gone several days (approx 12,000 blocks) on no water and one steak travelling faster than he can run on land.

Perhaps to make boats less overpowered the player should have to craft oars, maybe:

Plank

Stick

Stick

for each oar.

The player can get in the boat without the oars but won't be able to get very far very fast, merely drift in the direction they want to go painfully slowly. With the oars they can go reasonably fast but it drains their thirst and hunger meters faster than at rest or at current boat rate.

Since TFC doesn't consider salinity, all one needs to do is take a dunk to replenish thirst, so it doesn't make it too hard. It's really only food you have to think about.

I know it's a wild idea, and a lot to implement. Probably more important things to think about for now, but just thought I'd share my thoughts and ideas.

My dear boy, your going to die. We keep talking about how boats not only need buffs in this but need to be diversed in this forum and you come in and try to discuss DEBUFFS?!?!?

hehehe, Im getting the popcorn and watching this.

(this is meant as a jest and should not be taken in any other way)

as ECC said. it has been talked about. i'm unsure of Bioxx stance towards it but what we suggested was that the ordinary boats where to be exchanged for canoes and the propulsion would be through paddles.

i suggested that instead of simply holding W to go forward you'd press A or D once to strike with your paddle on either the left or right side of your canoe which would also make it turn slightly.

We also talked about larger sailing boats and rafts and stuff.

Hm... I can't seem to find much anywhere on this forum. Is there something wrong with the search?

what, the actual, fuck.... debuffing boats.... beech, try searching the naval suggestions thread, before i feel obliged to prod you with a canoe paddle for the next 24 hours -_-

I actually like the idea. The boat could go faster depending on the type of oar and would make it more believable. And the A/D mechanic would make boating more fun.

the rowing stuff was already suggested in the naval suggestions thread.

This is only step five in my "Everyone gets a thread about boats" plan. We still have a long way to go, but I believe we can do it.

hehe bio, now i see what you meant, at least mine was well worked out and contained something new :D

Given that Bioxx lamented the large oceans recently... Which I think is mistaking a great thing for a horrible one, I'd imagine he doesn't care about ANY of our boat suggestions. But I like this one, the boats we currently have are ridiculous.

"well thought out"? "something new"?

C:\Documents and Settings\KnotReelComputer\My Documents\My Pictures\nelson-muntz.gif

Posted Image

Given that Bioxx lamented the large oceans recently... Which I think is mistaking a great thing for a horrible one, I'd imagine he doesn't care about ANY of our boat suggestions. But I like this one, the boats we currently have are ridiculous.

is he saying enourmous oceans is something to that has to go?

I really hope not. That's one of the reasons why TFC is believable to me--an earth-like land/water mix. Actually, it still has more land than earth does, but I think it's great now. I spent countless hours using VoxelSniper, WorldEdit, and WorldPainter to create a world with huge oceans separating continents in vanilla, and TFC does it by default, woo!

On topic, I do agree that those boats need a debuff. I think later "eras" of TFC tech could have a better boat (as discussed at length in the naval suggestion thread, so I won't go into it here), but early on in the world, we're thoroughly stone and copper age. Sea travel ought to be dangerous, terrifying, and only a last resort in that time period, separating continents and people in isolated areas until wider trade and better technology brings them forth.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I did a search, to be exact several searches using different keyword combinations on this forum and on google and got nothing relevent at all. So please do not whine at me about how this has already been discussed, I would not have posted it if I knew it had been talked about before. It was just an idea I had floating in my head and I felt like posting it, didn't expect to have everyone jump down my throat. Geez, what a bunch of up-tight grannies.

beech, seriously, in the search, or on the second page: NAVAL SUGGESTIONS, its my own thread, everything here has been suggested, and a little more effort wouldv found it.

also, keep it respectful, always.

beech,-snip- keep it respectful, always.

:| is this irony, or just ironic?

in a forum thread one should endeavor to keep it respectful ;) besides, thats his name isnt it? not sure if you're coming at me in a different angle though :S

That's the impression I got.

"Oceans: These are enormous, I’m very aware. Unfortunately there’s not a lot of control over this for me. The world begins as a blank slate of Ocean and then the terrain generator goes to work adding plains, hills, etc. I’ve tried changing it to be a plank slate of plains, but that ended up causing some weird issues."

in a forum thread one should endeavor to keep it respectful ;) besides, thats his name isnt it? not sure if you're coming at me in a different angle though :S

*Looks at the new guy's name and laughs due to his own stupidness* lol, sorry xDU that's lame... I thought when you said "beech", it was like a stupid way to say "b+tch". That's why i asked if it was either intencional irony or simply ironic. Sorry for the misunderstanding...

That's the impression I got.

"Oceans: These are enormous, I’m very aware. Unfortunately there’s not a lot of control over this for me. The world begins as a blank slate of Ocean and then the terrain generator goes to work adding plains, hills, etc. I’ve tried changing it to be a plank slate of plains, but that ended up causing some weird issues."

ah man, he wants smaller oceans! that kind of sucks. i like it the way it is now. :(

Idk, I'd really like a poll on the ocean 'issue' from reading the forums I'd assumed people thought as I did and wanted large oceans, but maybe we're wrong. Still, if I remember correctly, Bioxx did a poll on world size and didn't choose the option most people did anyway.

bio, im feeling quantuple deja vu, there are 5 seperate boat threads within 2 pages, but i started a poll on the oceans in general ;)