Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
FatPoulet

Ore spawning and Tiers

6 posts in this topic

Ok so Iv been mining with 2 friends for a while now and we found that gigantic cave and there are no ores to be found anywhere (that cave is about 200 blocks long and wide and goes to bedrock) so we were wondering if natural cave spawning overlaps ore spawning.

Another thing. Is there an official chart of metal durability and/or mining speed or they all have the same stats if they are within the same tier level? I.E does a Tin pick has less mining speed than a Bismuth pick but more durability?

And last but not least I was wondering ... Im I just unlucky or I can't find ANYTHING. I always get "Found nothing interesting". I mean I get the basic ore veins for tin bismuth zinc and copper but never found anything else nor a trace. Do special ores spawn below a certain Y level?

Edit: And about Minerals ... most of them are useless if I correctly read the Wiki. Are there any plans for them in the future?

Okay, so I've been mining with 2 friends for a while now and we found that gigantic cave, but there are no ores to be found anywhere (that cave is about 200 blocks long and wide and goes to bedrock) so we were wondering if natural cave spawning overlaps ore spawning.

Another thing; is there an official chart of metal durability and/or mining speed? Or they all have the same stats if they are within the same tier level (I.E does a Tin pick has less mining speed than a Bismuth pick but more durability)?

And last but not least I was wondering... am I just unlucky or I can't find ANYTHING. I always get "Found nothing interesting". I mean I get the basic ore veins for tin, bismuth, zinc, and copper, but never found anything else nor a trace. Do special ores spawn below a certain Y level?

-Based on my experiences, cave generation does not overlap ore generation; the trick is to find the correct cave filled with ore, which can be frustrating for the first several cave systems.

-I do not think there is an official chart for metal durability and mining speed. Check the TFC Wikipedia, just to be certain.

-Mostly unlucky. It might be necessary to have to move to different locations for search for more useful metals. However, I recommend branch mining should you rather remain. Also, not quite; since ore spawning is no longer based on depth (I finally discovered that I am right, huzzah!), you are required to search in certain rock layers just to mine that particular metal. Not every player is skilled at prospecting, so hope that one of your companions are skilled at prospecting.

This helps?

-Sda209

For 1, and 3, what sda said, but for no. 3.

There is no official chart of durability numbers and things like that. Having numbers like that is taboo and ruins the *discovery* aspect of the game.

However, Dunk has revealed some details. Bismuth is the worst of the Tier 0 metals, then Zinc, and finally Tin. Bronze is the best of Tier 2, and Bismuth Bronze and Rose Gold are the worst. Red Steel and Blue Steel are equivalent.

IMHO, I would not try and look through the code, or experiment for numbers as it ruins the experience for me.

I sure won't go look at the numbers themselves, I wanted to know exactly what you said! Bismuth worst Tin best, bronze best, rest Ill figure! Thank a lot guys.

For the prospecting part, I lol'ed because I am good at prospecting. You just can't prospect when all you get are "found nothing interesting" hahah

edit: unless it is called prospecting too... I think prospecting is "closing in on an ore vein" more than "randomly trying to spot at least traces"

In general, I think ore is easier to find where two layers meet. I'm guessing there's some geological reason for this but I'm not sure, and I might even be wrong. So what I usually do is dig down to the third rock layer, and then start branch mining where the 2nd and 3rd layers meet. You may have to go hundreds of blocks to find something, and it may just be something currently useless like gypsum or jet.

Also, you can't expect to find every ore in the area you've settled. You will likely need several mines 1000 or more blocks apart.

Edit: I like to dig long straight tunnels for 1000 blocks to setup a second branch mine, instead of walking on the surface and digging a new entrance. Sometimes you run straight through ore deposits that way as well.

Also, you can't expect to find every ore in the area you've settled.

It might not be expected but it's certainly possible. I settled in a place and within about 3km of tunneling had access to all metals, the longest tunnel was around 1km from the settlement. I found it disappointing to be able to find everything within a short distance, as well as the predictabilty of ore generation. It nullifies the opportunity to trade with others if one can simply access every metal within such a short distance.