Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Zandorum

Enchanted Anvil

25 posts in this topic

Enchanting should make some kind of comeback that isent just a fool-proof way of making your sword better. I propose Enchanted Anvils, Assuming you have a Hammer on you in Dungeons you can find Enchanted Anvil Rooms where you can right click on the Anvil with your tool. It will give a random set of enchantments with high chances of debuffs and low chances of good things. Upon using an Enchanted Anvil it crumbles into dust. The maximum amount of enchantments you can get on one item from an Enchanted Anvil is 5 but the chance to get past 2 is very unlikely and to get 5 is nearly impossible. The anvil would be a Minigame similar to the normal anvil but dependant on how good you do the higher the chances are for the enchantments and the worse you do the higher chance of getting debuffs. If you do really really bad in the minigame instead of getting debuffs it will damage the tool and give it the "Enchantment" "Silence" which means it cannot be enchanted and while this item is equipped all enchantments that are worn are negated until the tool is changed. The anvil would look "electric" and the texture would oscillate in color. The anvil would also glow.

Concept Pictures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

What does everyone think :)

I think it's a good idea but maybe not for TFC. Magic doesn't seem to fit in this world, to be honest I feel the same way about redstone.

Being so adaptable, so unspecific, so variable, magic can fit nearly everywhere if given the necesary tweaks, except in places specificially made for magic not to fit in. Which this mod isn't. As Bioxx said, magic will eventually appear as a part of the mod, even though not any time soon. At least if i remember correctly. On redstone, well, you are right : won't stop loving it, but it's not compatible with TFC's world at all. It's like comparing a hamburger and a skyscrapper.

About the suggestion itself now... Quite honestly, seems pretty good to me, but at the same time, shouldn't enchanting become a feature on it's own, instead of depending on some other feature to even exist? Smithing is really well done. One of the best mechanics i have ever seen in any MC mod. This, however, doesn't mean we should copypaste it everywhere -which is what you have done here, it's basically copypasting smithing to make enchantments-. If Bioxx is capable to make all this unique minigames, he can keep making some new ones as well. In short, i feel like enchanting should work different from smithing; not neccesarily dropping the idea of it being a one-time reward for cleaning a dungeon, but dropping the dependance on smithing skills this gives to it.

Vanilla's experience system could be used for this, if experience is no longer obtained from passivenatural mobs (this meaning, non-fantastical mobs).<-- forget this, there isn't much of a reason.

-A crypt is a generated structure with a very variable size in which a number of mobs will spawn, this number depending on the total area.

--The structure will check for this mobs inside it, so when there is only player entities left, it will open a secret chamber in to which you an't otherwise access, containing a reward chest

--A reward chest is an unbreakable, unmovable tile entity, which will contain a parcially azarous number of enchanted or simply valuable objects. The bigger the crypt, the better the reward is.

---When a reward chest is closed, it will start to fade out slowly untill it completely dissapears. You won't be able to open it when it's fading out, so don't forget to grab anything you want from it.

---When opened, a reward chest will drain all of your experience. It won't let you open it if you don't have experience at all.

Note: I don't know if this is simple code wise, probably not in fact (the structure checking for entities inside it... that doesn't sounds well :). It's just a suggestion i took from the top of my head.

With this, enchanted stuff is dependant on a different feature, yes, but crypts still don't seem to have any purpose other than having hostile mobs inside them (that probably being because they haven't been added yet :P), so we kill two birds with one shot: We add a purpose in exploring this crypts (the reward) and at the same time we make getting something enchanted require preparation, skill and exploration (that is, if defeating TFC mobs ever becomes more difficult than simply spam clicking).

Being so adaptable, so unspecific, so variable, magic can fit nearly everywhere if given the necesary tweaks, except in places specificially made for magic not to fit in. Which this mod isn't. As Bioxx said, magic will eventually appear as a part of the mod, even though not any time soon. At least if i remember correctly.

As far as my memory goes, he spoke not about magic, but about fantasy, which isn't the same.

As far as my memory goes, he spoke not about magic, but about fantasy, which isn't the same.

I was answering to Mephistos, who DID talked about magic:

I think it's a good idea but maybe not for TFC. Magic doesn't seem to fit in this world, to be honest I feel the same way about redstone.

Note: I don't know if this is simple code wise, probably not in fact (the structure checking for entities inside it... that doesn't sounds well :).

Come to think about this, vanilla spawners should be working this way - checking if there is certain amount of monsters inside 16 or so blocks radius around it. This made so player wouldn't be completely lagged away and overrun by hundreds of zombies. So it shouldn't be that hard, I mean, we don't need to check for zombies that frequently. Or even chest itself could be spawning them and keeping track of how much spawned and how many of them got killed (zombies sending message upon their death).

-snip

Now that is a nice drawing ^^

Bioxx and I disagree with the idea of such things as anvils appearing in dungeons. As people don't seem to appreciate being stomped without ample explanation, here is why:

To make this viable, these magic anvils would have to be quite a high tier, such as blue steel (otherwise you wouldn't be able to enchant higher tier tools). You can see the obvious problems that arise with this, because it means you automatically receive the highest tier anvil in the game. Anvils currently act as not only the way to craft tools, but as the bottleneck. We deliberately made them the way they are to LIMIT you, specifically, if you have a copper anvil, but you find a lot of iron ore, you'll need to make a bronze tier anvil before you can make your wrought iron one. This forces you to play the game the way we want. Having anvils or such in dungeons would allow a player to skip all the intermediate tiers and jump right to the final one, which we don't want.

In fact, we don't even like giving you tools in dungeons either. When we DO implement dungeons, don't expect to find a shiny steel sword in those chests, but you can expect some exclusive goodies that WILL help you on your way, and may even give you something valuable to your community, advancing your server as a whole or putting you in a position of power, having something others want, such as tool and weapon plans uncraftable on the scribing table. It conveniently does two things: gives you exclusive cool things, but not on a silver platter, you still have to work for it.

Basically, we'll give you the key, but won't tell you where the metaphorical 'treasure chest' is, you have to find it for yourself.

Bioxx and I disagree with the idea of such things as anvils appearing in dungeons. As people don't seem to appreciate being stomped without ample explanation, here is why:

To make this viable, these magic anvils would have to be quite a high tier, such as blue steel (otherwise you wouldn't be able to enchant higher tier tools). You can see the obvious problems that arise with this, because it means you automatically receive the highest tier anvil in the game. Anvils currently act as not only the way to craft tools, but as the bottleneck. We deliberately made them the way they are to LIMIT you, specifically, if you have a copper anvil, but you find a lot of iron ore, you'll need to make a bronze tier anvil before you can make your wrought iron one. This forces you to play the game the way we want. Having anvils or such in dungeons would allow a player to skip all the intermediate tiers and jump right to the final one, which we don't want.

In fact, we don't even like giving you tools in dungeons either. When we DO implement dungeons, don't expect to find a shiny steel sword in those chests, but you can expect some exclusive goodies that WILL help you on your way, and may even give you something valuable to your community, advancing your server as a whole or putting you in a position of power, having something others want, such as tool and weapon plans uncraftable on the scribing table. It conveniently does two things: gives you exclusive cool things, but not on a silver platter, you still have to work for it.

Basically, we'll give you the key, but won't tell you where the metaphorical 'treasure chest' is, you have to find it for yourself.

The anvil wouldent be used for normal uses, it also wouldent be moveable. You have it to enchant one item there as well as I said after one use it turns to dust.

To defend my own suggestion, there's no need for there to be tools in the reward chest. It can contain pretty much anything you want it to have; it's a chest after all, even though a one-use chest.

-snip-

Is your Mephistos_chan, the chan part referring to the Japanese honorific? And magic, if done right, might have a good place in TFC ;). Just not in this form. IMHO

Anyway, I agree 100% with Dunk. I don't think there should be items such as swords, anvils, or tools of any sort. You shouldn't have BAM, there you have your tools. Like Dunk said, you should still have to work for things, even IF they help you advance. Even though the anvil is one-use, and is immovable, the benefits outweigh the bad things.

I guess I do have to admit some guilt here, I really didn't read any posts in this thread in depth.

We don't want single-use rewards from dungeons. Notice how a plan can be used to make multiple tools? The single use seems rather pointless to me, and the magical anvil just doesn't seem right. I'm not sure that the lack of enchantments in TFC is a problem, and even if it is, solving it with a magical one-use anvil seems rather odd. Where did it come from? Who built it? If it's magical, why does it go poof after a single use? I don't know guys, if I were playing a game (that I hadn't created) with this feature in it, it would come off as a hasty cover-up of a feature that requires more depth and detail.

Where did it come from? Who built it? If it's magical, why does it go poof after a single use?

Well, it came from the same place and was made by the same people who made the dungeons and crypts

as for why it goes poof after one use, maybe the magicks binding the enchanting spells to it are rather weak and unstable from being sealed away in a dungeon for who knows how long, causing the magicks to dissapate and cause the anvil to crumble

Or maybe the makers of the anvil just felt like trolling and gave 'em only one use intentionally.

...What? they could have been really bad at trolling ._.

Or they just REALLY sucked at making anvils. ;)

Or they just REALLY sucked at making anvils. ;)

well if they really sucked at making anvils, then they probably wouldnt have managed to bind enchanting magicks to them

and JAG....no, just no

The power of the enchanted anvil!

it uses the power of really good suggestions to make wonders happen to your tools.

it goes poof from shitty ones though.

I guess I do have to admit some guilt here, I really didn't read any posts in this thread in depth.

We don't want single-use rewards from dungeons. Notice how a plan can be used to make multiple tools? The single use seems rather pointless to me, and the magical anvil just doesn't seem right. I'm not sure that the lack of enchantments in TFC is a problem, and even if it is, solving it with a magical one-use anvil seems rather odd. Where did it come from? Who built it? If it's magical, why does it go poof after a single use? I don't know guys, if I were playing a game (that I hadn't created) with this feature in it, it would come off as a hasty cover-up of a feature that requires more depth and detail.

Idk, Its just a random idea. I was really tierd when I came up with it so dont expect me to be ms.awesome pants and have the answer to everything. I like Srgnoodles explanation though. Yes the idea could have improvements but its just a concept.

Well, it came from the same place and was made by the same people who made the dungeons and crypts

as for why it goes poof after one use, maybe the magicks binding the enchanting spells to it are rather weak and unstable from being sealed away in a dungeon for who knows how long, causing the magicks to dissapate and cause the anvil to crumble

That and It could be because its old too. Repeated hammering on an ancient anvil thats metal has become brittle over time feels like it might break during hammering it. This gives me the idea that if you hammer it too many times it turns to dust before you

finish the tool. I like the idea about it being bound together by the magicks keeping the dust that is the anvil together.

To reinforce my thought on it not being-able to be moved idea upon breaking it it just turns to dust instead of dropping an item. Also magic could discharge in all directions and drop your health bar by 50% (Assuming you were at 100% to start with.)

Idk, Its just a random idea. I was really tierd when I came up with it so dont expect me to be ms.awesome pants and have the answer to everything. I like Srgnoodles explanation though. Yes the idea could have improvements but its just a concept.

That and It could be because its old too. Repeated hammering on an ancient anvil thats metal has become brittle over time feels like it might break during hammering it. This gives me the idea that if you hammer it too many times it turns to dust before you

finish the tool. I like the idea about it being bound together by the magicks keeping the dust that is the anvil together.

To reinforce my thought on it not being-able to be moved idea upon breaking it it just turns to dust instead of dropping an item. Also magic could discharge in all directions and drop your health bar by 50% (Assuming you were at 100% to start with.)

yes, definitely yes, if we're going to have magic in this mod of any kind, there has to be a drawback, like theres a chance that for example, when working with said magicked anvil, that the magicks will discharge and damage the player and destroy the anvil, this could work with any kind of magic, alchemy might go wrong and give you the wrong item or give less than you wanted, spells could be hazardous like a fireball spell being able to hurt you with the explosion, or sometimes they would completely backfire, giving you a blast of magickal energy in the face

i could go on for days about this...

yes, definitely yes, if we're going to have magic in this mod of any kind, there has to be a drawback, like theres a chance that for example, when working with said magicked anvil, that the magicks will discharge and damage the player and destroy the anvil, this could work with any kind of magic, alchemy might go wrong and give you the wrong item or give less than you wanted, spells could be hazardous like a fireball spell being able to hurt you with the explosion, or sometimes they would completely backfire, giving you a blast of magickal energy in the face

i could go on for days about this...

We think the same, I want a magic system just like that.

We think the same, I want a magic system just like that.

and so (please don't kill me if i'm wrong) does Dunk

and so (please don't kill me if i'm wrong) does Dunk

not sure how to respond. I don't want magic, but you very accurately described my opinion on new features. I guess you could say you described something I don't want in a way that makes it the least dislikable? I don't know =P

not sure how to respond. I don't want magic, but you very accurately described my opinion on new features. I guess you could say you described something I don't want in a way that makes it the least dislikable? I don't know =P

Heh. Alright.

Is your Mephistos_chan, the chan part referring to the Japanese honorific?

Nothing so Planned I'm afraid, It's simply because the most 'tech' race in Eve On Line was given Asian features before they went more to more realistic character features.

Nothing so Planned I'm afraid, It's simply because the most 'tech' race in Eve On Line was given Asian features before they went more to more realistic character features.

So in that game, the most intelligent race is one that looks like asians... ._. That sounds racist.

(note: Racism doesn't only refer to insults based on the race of a person, but in any kind of qualification based on the race. Saying jewish people is richer than everyone else is racist, technically.)