Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Xechon

Suggestions for um... Suggestions forum

9 posts in this topic

I've noticed, too many times, good threads derailed, old topics usurped by younger clones, and necromancy of the highest degree. Yet, worst of all is the sayings, repeated by veterans and lively new ones quick and eager to learn. These are, but are not limited to:

"Lurk Moar"

"Just click the like button"

"Thread necro"

"This has been suggested many times before"

" Bioxx/dunkleosteus has rejected/accepted this already"

"This is a planned feature"

Now, I know it is good intent, and has gotten better since Dunk's revelation (tell newbs to lurk moar, bash when they necro == bad). However, I am still disappointed in the direction many posts head. Even then, some good ideas are flooded and intimidating to onlookers, not wanting to surf through 16 pages to make sure they aren't reposting or necroing for no good reason. Therefore, I suggest a change, to how we suggest changes.

There could be a few feeds per post, all accessible from a bar at the top of any entry, below the post's title. These feeds would be off-topic (because it is going to happen), amendments, counter-suggestions, discussion, regular (as it is now), and on-topic (everything except off-topic and regular).

Instead of excessive quoting for replies, they could be structured into "comments" in all but the regular mode, branching off of another post. These would be spoilered so that one can easily see that something is there, and choose to read or not, and keep going along. Quotes would still be available but a lot less necessary for how they are used.

When someone makes a thread, everything is normal. Replies to the original post of the thread are made as comments under the original post, and further replies choose which post then to comment under, forming a long, branching tree of posts. These can be sorted through methodically by readers, and those reading will be asked to take the time to click a button a the bottom of the post, specifying whether that particular post is off-topic, an amendment, or a counter-suggestion.

The poster may also vote which category it belongs to, but once there are 2 or more votes, the thread is moved into that category, and any further votes are still tallied, just in case people are attempting to troll. Also, to see what a particular person has to say on the entire topic (through all posts), and to easily view if they have been misbehaving with the system, clicking on a button on the person's identifying sidebar would bring up an account of everything they have done on that post, and the time.

A new suggestion forum sorting option (recently updated, start date, etc.) would be tags. As of now, we can add one tag to suggestion topics: suggestion. New tag groups and a good system for proposing new tag groups would be nice, so that one can easily search for accepted, rejected, magic, basket-weaving, etc. threads, and less reposts should be made that way, yet all ideas currently held here can be preserved (albeit only in regular mode).

To prevent anger over necroing, users subscribe to each individual part of a thread separately, and can change an option on their preferences to have subscriptions expire after x amount of time. People are still encouraged to hit the like button, instead of saying "I really like this".

There it is. It's not perfect, but it seems better to me at least. Please, make amendments and counter suggestions to help with this.

"modname"

as there are only two of us, (and most of the time they mean me) you could just list our names :)

"modname"

as there are only two of us, (and most of the time they mean me) you could just list our names :)

Sorry :D . Fixed it.

I have to say that was very quick. What are your thoughts?

GAH! The urge to do exactly what your saying to not to do on topics on this topic is overwhelming.

I agree with the OP. I saw one of thse phrases once only, but it's true what he says. This behave discourages some people from posting. However I will see "already suggested", because if it's already suggested, the poster must know this. But I won't make a big problem out of this. Just an "aready suggested and have fun :)" or similar things.

I don't know really, we should redirect spans here, he's our forum guy.

I'll pester spAnser when he gets on IRC. Just so I remember, this thread will stay open in my browser till I do. (:

its a good idea, but from what I know from experience, will take some work to do. Unless somehow the software already supports this... which I doubt.

Forum engines usually don't support this kind of changes right away. Either we rewrite some modules of it, which can be doubtful, because engine might not be open source, or we changing the engine, and all forum history most likely go in vain because the way posts are stored aren't exactly the same.

And I say "we" although it is probably spAnser alone.

Well, whenever spAnser sees it we should know if it would work ^_^ . I obviously think it's worth a try.