Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Devlin

Bad ideas and Contradictions.... more of a discussion regarding suggestions.

6 posts in this topic

Ok so i have been away for quite some time, and while i was gone (mostly due to collage and computer problems) this overhaul has progressed nicely. but i still notice good suggestions getting shot down left and right by the modders. and while that is fine this is their mod, i have to ask if what you said here: http://terrafirmacraft.com/designing-features/ , why is it that you shoot down all these great ideas? if you truly like this style of designing it would stand to reason that you would actually say we might try adding that at a later date or something. i don't expect you to take every idea and implement them as exactly as they are described in the suggestion, but keeping the ideas around, toying with them to see what you can come up with and seeing if the players and you like it or not seems more like what this designing feature is about. look at all these ideas, some are great but you say it won't fit, and some look terrible but might work, why not try adding them in and see if they fit or not. of course there are quite a few that we don't expect you to add but if you could at least keep them in mind and try adding them later. you never know you might end up liking it, or find it is terrible but it leads you to a new idea like with the storage system. like npc's or a new mob spawning system, (i will point out some of the problems with it later in the thread cause there are a few) and many more. i know this sounds like im attacking you but im not, this is you mod and you can do what you like, but i feel you are missing all the potential that comes from suggestions when you pick and choose what you think you like and ignore or shoot down those you think you won't. i love this mod, and want to see it reach it's full potential.

(now for a few problems with the current spawn system.) first off is the problem that each area has a "time limit" before mobs stop spawning there. and while this works for current mobs as you add in newer mobs later it will cause more and more problems. and you will have to explore more and more to find common animals you might want to keep around. on top of this the mob spawn system is bland and flat, and by this i mean not very believable and very little life to it. but in its defense it is a step up from the old system (one way i can see to improve it even more is to have a drain feature where unloaded chunks slowly lose the lived in effect.

thank you very much for reading this. again this is not an attack, just me hoping you will take this into consideration and bring out the full potential of this mod (and im not expecting you to do it all at once but over time and when you are good and ready to try adding and trying out other peoples ideas.

I don't like the NPC idea one bit either...

Then again, I groaned when Mojang added wolves and villagers (especially villagers) to vanilla. So, I suppose I don't like the idea one bit in vanilla either.

I haven't noticed an absolute cut off in mob spawning in my home area, just a significant reduction. Although the creeper that blew up on my roof was unaware of that reduction.

The shooting down of ideas is common, I've played through BTW and Technic and within those communities it is exactly the same, partly it's due to frustration at the amount of people who are to lazy to use the search function and keep coming up with the same old crap and partly it's just fear of change. I've actually had someone complain I was ruining the way THEY play TFC when I made a suggestion, apparently they're unaware this is a beta and therefore will change.

Lastly, I think it's a symptom of the internet, you can choose to be anything on the internet, unfortunately many people choose to be stupid.

mephistos, unfortunately its not a choice for many on these internet waters :/

(now for a few problems with the current spawn system.) first off is the problem that each area has a "time limit" before mobs stop spawning there. and while this works for current mobs as you add in newer mobs later it will cause more and more problems. and you will have to explore more and more to find common animals you might want to keep around. on top of this the mob spawn system is bland and flat, and by this i mean not very believable and very little life to it. but in its defense it is a step up from the old system (one way i can see to improve it even more is to have a drain feature where unloaded chunks slowly lose the lived in effect.

This is all pretty much intentional, mobs are put off by built up areas for the most part, so if you want them you'll have to start a farm and breed them, also the chunk protection system is almost exactly what you suggest, time in a chunk increases the counter, the counter decreases monster spawns, any time not spent in the chunk decreases the counter making it more wild.

Some suggestions are clearly not a fit for the vision the devs have in mind, now, you may think the exact thing makes it better, and it's all a matter of taste, but that's irrelevant in most ways, you're not making the mod.

It's because most of the ideas that get shot down immediately are so horrible you can tell without having to do the extra work to implement them. That and the fact that people don't use the search function. Or read the rules threads.