Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Danelli

Chainmail

14 posts in this topic

As many of you know, armor at the moment, is extremely expensive. Personally, I don't even think it is worth making. Perhaps there could be a cheaper and less effective chainmail set for each metal (copper, bronze, wrought iron, steel, ect.) Might make armor more useful and used.

By the way, there wouldn't already be a way to make normal chainmail already in terrafirmacraft. I cannot find a recipe on the TFC wiki.

As many of you know, armor at the moment, is extremely expensive. Personally, I don't even think it is worth making. Perhaps there could be a cheaper and less effective chainmail set for each metal (copper, bronze, wrought iron, steel, ect.) Might make armor more useful and used.

By the way, there wouldn't already be a way to make normal chainmail already in terrafirmacraft. I cannot find a recipe on the TFC wiki.

Forging a full set of armor is expensive; not forging individual pieces. TFC chainmail hasn't been implemented yet. I'm unsure if this has been discussed, however.

P.S. - What makes you think that armor is not worth making? It's better than having no armor at all (unless there is something I am forgetting, since I haven't played TFC in a long while).

Oh, and welcome to the TFC Forums.

Personally I would prefer chain mail simply as a visual alternative to plate. no buffs or debuffs, just the equivalent of re-textured armor. For the same reason why people carry around maces instead of swords: 'Because I like the way it looks'

I carry maces more often simply because I never remember how to make swords.

But in most games I will choose the mace option anyway. If I ever remembered how to make swords in TFC I'd probably do so.

IF the weight effects are actually added, chainmail would be a lighter but weaker alternative for archers and light infantry.

what is with people and thinking chainmail is weak? I've seen people make from simple bottle caps a form of 'mail' that in a little bit of effing about with, was quite resilient to everything except when we got crafty with sharp items. and that was made from Soda tabs(iirc, aluminum)

by the end we decided that unless someone was trying to directly stab you(thrust motion), just fitting it over a coat would be quite brilliant.

on a side note and totally off topic: No, thats not where my soda addiction came from... I think. Ok, probs thats exactly where it came from.

back on topic though, dont think mail is a underling to plate or even platemail, it is much closer to a sister... a cheep sister, but one all the same.

what is with people and thinking chainmail is weak? I've seen people make from simple bottle caps a form of 'mail' that in a little bit of effing about with, was quite resilient to everything except when we got crafty with sharp items. and that was made from Soda tabs(iirc, aluminum)

by the end we decided that unless someone was trying to directly stab you(thrust motion), just fitting it over a coat would be quite brilliant.

on a side note and totally off topic: No, thats not where my soda addiction came from... I think. Ok, probs thats exactly where it came from.

back on topic though, dont think mail is a underling to plate or even platemail, it is much closer to a sister... a cheep sister, but one all the same.

+1 to this, since TFC has no war axes or spears (save for the javelin), chain would help the same, and more against maces. Also, The reason chain was used was because Iron was too hard to make into plates until the 16th century.

If you want cheaper but less effective armour, only craft a chestplate.

Also, it is pretty cheap already.

Yeah I really wish I could take this topic down xD Crafting just a chestplate works fine.

What makes you think that chainmail is cheaper? Far as I can tell, it will be cheaper only if you don't count man-hours of work that put into it.

chain would help more against maces

The... what? Why?

What makes you think that chainmail is cheaper? Far as I can tell, it will be cheaper only if you don't count man-hours of work that put into it.

The... what? Why?

Exactly. Chain would actually help less than standard plate, as its meant to help defend against slashes from a sword. However, a mace is simply a blunt force weapon, and would affect the body almost as much as it usually would.

Actually, that could be a good way to implement this in-game, if we so desired.

Have two different plans available for each armor piece: the chain plan, and the plate plan.

When you make the plate version, it goes as normal for the number of ingots needed, welding steps, etc.

If you make the chain plan, it uses less ore (where a chestplate is 2 double ingots in total right now, a chain shirt could maybe be reduced to 1 double and 1 single-- a savings of an ingot). However, there are several more steps in the actual crafting process at the blacksmith, to represent the time spent making all those links.

Leave the two versions identical for durability and damage prevention, and it can just be a tradeoff in-game. Do you want to take more time crafting your armor? Or spend more metal on it?

Perhaps, but it would have to be a very long time to make plate worth it.

Actually, that could be a good way to implement this in-game, if we so desired.

Have two different plans available for each armor piece: the chain plan, and the plate plan.

When you make the plate version, it goes as normal for the number of ingots needed, welding steps, etc.

If you make the chain plan, it uses less ore (where a chestplate is 2 double ingots in total right now, a chain shirt could maybe be reduced to 1 double and 1 single-- a savings of an ingot). However, there are several more steps in the actual crafting process at the blacksmith, to represent the time spent making all those links.

Leave the two versions identical for durability and damage prevention, and it can just be a tradeoff in-game. Do you want to take more time crafting your armor? Or spend more metal on it?

It would be fairly nice if you could make it have varying damage resistance against different forms of attack. For instance, plate normally protects, but is much more expensive, and has some weakness against very hard attacks that can make it though. Making armor protect based upon durability might be a good option to for plate armor. As for chainmail, it'd use a lot less metal, however, it does take forever to make a set. Plate takes quite a long time too though. Chainmail should probably have best protection against slashing attacks, but some weakness to higher power stabbing attacks, or those with a small projectile or item stabbing. Just my thoughts, however, how easy it could be implemented is not something I know. I'd suspect it wouldn't be that simple.