Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
starshard0

Blast Mining

33 posts in this topic

Wide scale cooperative blast mining makes sense to me, combining all of this and you can come up with a large amount of resources. You throw in some co-op mining and you will get to the part that I find use of powder kegs, large construction projects, such as leveling mountains to build road passes to improve trade access.

Obviously, teleportation would have to be avoided, but basically, building bridges and making roads are one of the things that I have found most useful in Terrafirma craft.

If you guys are going to try to calculate blast radii, remember that certain types of stone are harder than others and resist explosions more.

i love the powder keg idea, it makes me think of helms deep in lotr, it would make sense to use explosives in mining, but the powder keg is simply WAY to powerful for that, would it be more practical to tone it down a bit, even if it were simply cut in half its still a pretty damn potent explosion.tnt sticks would be nice, you could use close to the same recipe as fireworks, just more gunpowder and no color/effects. have them do the same blast radius as vanilla tnt. with the strength of the tfc blocks it would not take out huge chunks at a time but it would provide a nice late game mining method that is a bit more clean. 

even if you wanted to try and keep it from becoming the main method of mining, it would be nice to have a way to remove large sections of stone in a more controlled manner. rather than the powder kegs version of (see that mountain...not any more, but hey i left you this cool pattern in the ground.)

EDIT: i firmly believe any form of tnt should involve heavy resources as they do now, i simply would like to see a better control of them. so they are a little more like gunpowder and a little less like a plutonium bomb.... :)

I got a suggestion thread for explosives: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/5122-

Might wanna check that out. 

Powder kegs are great though, they just have limited uses, and leave big holes behind

which, I suppose the the whole problem with them

Well, I am mostly a single player mode gamer when it comes to TFC, but as long as it's playable and fun, I will play it and hopefully have fun. Actually, some of the things are fun for me because they were made with multiplayer in mind and thus require more effort in single player, setting the pacing of the game the way I like it (and making it in multiplayer quite not so, where in a group acquisition of resources is still too easy).

However, I'd add to the voices above, even if with less of a concern - lot of your community is playing the game on their own, TFC devteam, it's not wise or fair to forget about single player balance.

Now, regarding the topic - I never actually found blast mining that useful in Minecraft, even vanilla one. Usually properly planned set of intertwining shafts allows good orientation for where the ore is, while minimizing damage to the environment (to explain, I am not fond of big craters everywhere where I start mining operation). So it's more of a novelty than actual tool for me, which may or may not be a bad thing.

In TFC the requirements are somewhat excessive to make TNT, though - with a group of people expected to pool resources to create one barrel relatively quickly, I am willing to bet that there's no point for explosives at all as the same group in the time they'd took to gather and process necessary ingredients would probably go far further digging with pickaxes and risk less collateral damage/lost resources in the process.

PvP aspect, at least when it's not blatant trolling and griefing is also rather small and in most cases there is PvP situation, TNT isn't necessary or even useful so argument for the potential of use of explosives in this regard is not overly convincing, I'd risk saying.

A well-planned tnt explosions can make orderly and neat tunnels, and enables you to minimize the damage done to terrain while saving up your pick durability for the ores.

However, this is not quite possible with TFC due to it's large blast area that causes uneven craters, and the significantly large chance of hitting dirt, gravel, different types of stone or cave walls, which farther disrupts the shape and size of the crater.

So a block with a bast radius somewhere near the vanilla TNT can be a huge help in mining, allowing you to dig tunnels through stone quickly and efficiently and save your pick for ores, while having minimum impact on the surrounding terrain and not leaving ugly craters around(unless you hit dirt or something, and even then, the resulting crater can be quickly and easily smoothed out)

This is is something of a tangent rant against Vanilla: I am disappointed in the lack of mining options in a game called "Minecraft". 

if there were more clans/community pvp type of play on terrafirmacraft servers than this would be useful as something to use to obliterate another clan/faction's castle, if you've had enough time to get that far into the game that is.