Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Terex

Finding the right ores in the right rocks

18 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm using the guide on the wiki to locate ores in different rock types but I've come across some anomalies. I have two so far (below). Anyone else find ores where they are not expected?

Both in upper layer:

- Olivine in Schist

- Borax in Gneiss (together with graphite)

Link to wiki page.

Sphalerite in Gneiss

Can you spot it?

This is actually really helpful. I have suspicions that our rock layers aren't being tracked properly. When ores are being generated, they assume the information they are getting on what rock type they are generating in is correct, but this might not be the case. If you guys want to work on this, it would be great.

Thanks!

Yeah I got cinnabar at the top rocklayer.

Saltpeter and olivine together in Chert

In a B76 server map I found many lapis lazuli blobs in limestone and other non-marble layers nearby. I had tunnels throughout the surrounding area, in all three layers, and there was no hint of marble anywhere. The oregen code is ancient, ore can still generate in vanilla sandstone:

createOreVein(TFCBlocks.Ore.blockID, 0,new int[]{TFCBlocks.StoneIgEx.blockID,-1,Block.sandStone.blockID,-1},//IgEx and Sandstone, veins

I'm working on an ore gen mod for our TFC server and I replaced the code that identifies the rock layers using DataLayers with world.getBlockId( x, y, z ) calls instead.

So instead of (WorldGenOre.createOre() and WorldGenOre.createOreVein() ):

DataLayer rockLayer1 = ((TFCWorldChunkManager)world.getWorldChunkManager()).getRockLayerAt(chunkX, chunkZ, 0);
DataLayer rockLayer2 = ((TFCWorldChunkManager)world.getWorldChunkManager()).getRockLayerAt(chunkX, chunkZ, 1);
DataLayer rockLayer3 = ((TFCWorldChunkManager)world.getWorldChunkManager()).getRockLayerAt(chunkX, chunkZ, 2);

You may want to use something like this:world.getBlockId( x, oreHeight, z );

This way you can be certain that the ore vein is generating in the proper rock blocks, in case you think that the DataLayer results are inaccurate.

Cool! You know i noticed that ores are usually concentrated at levels 130 and 60 (sometimes 90). Is that still going to be the same or should ore veins spawn more randomly?

Furthermore, is there a relation between the contact of two different rock types and the type of ore vein that spawns? That would be nice, making the search for the right ores more strategic.

Cool! You know i noticed that ores are usually concentrated at levels 130 and 60 (sometimes 90). Is that still going to be the same or should ore veins spawn more randomly?

Furthermore, is there a relation between the contact of two different rock types and the type of ore vein that spawns? That would be nice, making the search for the right ores more strategic.

Well I'm only speaking for the mod I'm writing, I'm not sure what the devs have in mind for TFC's future. But yes, I did away with predictable levels and blob veins. I've always wondered if there was a technical reason for having those levels you mentioned, or if it was intentional because it never made sense to me why they would do that. So far I've coded snaky veins that grow and shrink in diameter, have variable density, spawn branch veins, and go in any direction (including vertically). I still have to make a bed-like vein for sedimentary minerals, also thinking about making a vertical kimberlite pipe vein type. This mod implements a seed-based ore regionizer that only allows specific ores to spawn in specific regions in an effort to make ore types sparse relative to one another, we want players on our server to explore and work together and not get red steel within the first week the world goes live.

Oh I see. You're making it even harder? ha ha Maybe OK for multiplayer, but for single player that is making it very challenging and time-consuming unless there is a guarantee than when you find the right rock type you get the appropriate ore somewhere in that layer. 

Oh I see. You're making it even harder? ha ha Maybe OK for multiplayer, but for single player that is making it very challenging and time-consuming unless there is a guarantee than when you find the right rock type you get the appropriate ore somewhere in that layer. 

It has already been stated in a few places that TFC is being balanced for multiplayer and not single player.

I was talking about his mod to TFC... And if I am talking about TFC, then all I am is curious about is why ores spawn they way they do currently. 

Because the ore generation was modified from the Better Ore Distribution Mod.. and some little mistakes in the code caused the y-level glitch of everything spawning at certain layers.

Ok thanks. I did not know that.

Because the ore generation was modified from the Better Ore Distribution Mod.. and some little mistakes in the code caused the y-level glitch of everything spawning at certain layers.

Could you elaborate a bit on this? This is the first time I've seen an explanation. From reading the TFC code the 4 y-levels appear to be hardcoded and deliberate. But you seem to be saying it's a long established glitch. If it's a bug, why has it persisted for such a long time, especially considering the importance of ore generation?

From what I understand, and I want to put a clause in here that I may be completely wrong, Bioxx didn't realize that it was hardcoded until recently, since he didn't code it. He knew that ores spawned at certain layers, but wasn't completely sure why. It also wasn't considered that major of a bug.. maybe an exploit, but not something so major that it needed immediate fixing.. so it was just kind of left alone until he felt like fixing it.

^^ Thanks