Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
aliceingame

More trees

50 posts in this topic

I want bamboo so bad. The uses are almost innumerable:

basic housing

simple spears

spike traps

furniture

fishingrods

ladders

scaffolding

Seriously, just really useful stuff.

And if you ever walked into a banboo groove, I think you would agree that it's just beautiful. I would pland it around my buildings just for the look, and because I am making japanese inspired buildings.

This is not a suggestion about more uses for trees, but just more kind of trees. Why ? Some people on irc suggested that 17 is an ugly number (for ressource pack for example). People agreed that 32 is a good number, so we need 15 more trees. Some of my suggestions are based on cool name, cool looking tree and wood color.

• Palm tree -> Dunk worked on it work scrapped, but I'd like to redo it at some point
  • Eucalyptus
  • Jacaranda
  • Ginkgo
  • Poplar
  • Mangrove possibly
  • Bamboo planned
  • Teak
  • Baobab certainly a place for it
  • Movingui -> Yellow wood
  • Ebony or Wenge -> Black wood planned
  • Mahoe ->Purple blue wood
  • Pink Ivory -> Pink wood
  • -
  • -

What kind of trees would you like ?

Most of the trees we're looking to add are to fill in the gaps where we currently don't have enough diversity. The vast majority of our trees live in temperate or cool forests, from europe and north america. the acacia koa tree introduced in b78 was to help diversify the jungles. We could really use more warm-climate trees. Palm trees could help flesh out jungles and warm islands / deserts (depending on the type of palm anyway), I've been thinking an umbrella acacia tree might do nicely on the dry plains. Currently, players can spawn in vast, hot, dry grasslands with no natural vegetation, so some savanah or scrub trees might help balance that out.

Also, I think it might be interesting to have "rare" trees, which produce unique types of wood but spawn sparsely- just enough so that it's a challenge to find one. These types of trees might have wood that could be crafted into unique items / blocks or special versions of existing blocks. I was thinking ebony might be a good candidate for this sort of thing, and we could have special reskins or new block models for existing blocks like beds or chests when made with ebony. It gives them value beyond just how rare they are and I think adds something fun for players.

I think as a rare type of wood they should add something like a Iron Oak, It is a very tall tree that produces very strong wood.

A certain rare tree like Iron oak could give you Iron Oak sticks (the normal leaf breaking way) Which could be used as a tool handle so that that tool would have a little extra durability, or some other bonus. This would be good because you would invest in finding that certain tree when creating a higher teir tool or weapon.

I like the idea of rare trees.

Other things that could be done is to have different models of trees using the same wood. For example we could have the normal pine and a japanese black pine or Bristlecone pine. Both would use the same wood, but a different model to grow. The model variation could have it's own sapling to grow this specific version and could even be a rare tree that can not drop a version specific sapling.

Imagine, a rare japanese black pine or japanese maple that you can sapling from, and compine then with a vessel and dirt to get a decorative bonzai!

LOGWOOD (Haematoxylum campechianum)

How about a fruit tree that gives golden apples, but only spawns once per world? Just an idea, since dunk was talking about 'rare' trees.

And I compleaty made-up idea for a tree: Golden oak. really, really, really rare, has special golden wood that looks pretty

And I agree with the warm-climate tree thing.

heck, I once had to re-start a world because I couldn't find any trees until the sun set and I died.

Already plan to reuse the acacia wood for umbrella acacia. Even though the jungle variety is based on the acacia koa, they actually have similarly-coloured wood.

If bamboo is implemented, I really do hope they grow slowly like fruit trees and can be eaten as shoots. Bamboo shoots are awesome :) Not to mention that bamboo isn't really a tree and it feels like something ought to be different about how they grow and how things are made out of them. 

EDIT: ALSO I think eucalyptus trees and other australasian trees could stand to be added. There's a huge amount of potential with them. Not to mention if you want rare woods, rainbow eucalyptus is pretty damn cool.

I think bamboo is scientifically a grass.

But works fine as wood, nice, light, and sturdy

I realize there are too many temperate trees already but I would still like to plead for the implementation of beech. It creates distinct forests with straight slender silver-grey trunks and rich green canopy, it is inspiration for Tolkien's Mallorns and at least partially GRRM's Weirwoods. Its wood is hard, brittle and hot-burning. It is traditionally used to smoke meat. Oh, and the nuts are edible. It's my favourite tree and I'd really like to see it in TFC :)

I realize there are too many temperate trees already but I would still like to plead for the implementation of beech. It creates distinct forests with straight slender silver-grey trunks and rich green canopy, it is inspiration for Tolkien's Mallorns and at least partially GRRM's Weirwoods. Its wood is hard, brittle and hot-burning. It is traditionally used to smoke meat. Oh, and the nuts are edible. It's my favourite tree and I'd really like to see it in TFC  :)

You just wan't to try to make some tea. 

I like that there should be several tree models for certain woods. This would be cool, I also want to be able to make mini bonsai trees. (bonsai garden!), though bonsai trees seem like they should be  a TFC add-on.

I like that there should be several tree models for certain woods. This would be cool, I also want to be able to make mini bonsai trees. (bonsai garden!), though bonsai trees seem like they should be  a TFC add-on.

Technically, bonzai tree are just normal trees that grow in a small place and that are cut to stay small. To be honest I have no idea of how it should render if it's introduced. As small trees made of 1/8 block square pieces ?

Technically, bonzai tree are just normal trees that grow in a small place and that are cut to stay small. To be honest I have no idea of how it should render if it's introduced. As small trees made of 1/8 block square pieces ?

I think this type of thing would be done by returning the flower pot to TFC and just using sapplings.

By bonsai trees I do not mean just putting a sapling into a pot, but being able to manipulate that plant, which is the kind of thing which I think has a better place in an add-on, not mainstream Terrafirma craft.

How would you do that?

The only way I can think of is to make 'bonsai blocks' or something, maybe by crafting logs and leaves with axes or something, and have them act like chiseling blocks, except you place blocks instead of removing them.

Or find small trees/shrubs and 'chisel' them to shape

How would you do that?

The only way I can think of is to make 'bonsai blocks' or something, maybe by crafting logs and leaves with axes or something, and have them act like chiseling blocks, except you place blocks instead of removing them.

Or find small trees/shrubs and 'chisel' them to shape

I would not go as far as to make custom ones, just crafting and getting one randomly generated would be ok with me. Or else it would be something that look like a sapling in a pot like vanilla, but not sur how it would look like.... I should see if someone made a bonsai mod for MC...

By bonsai trees I do not mean just putting a sapling into a pot, but being able to manipulate that plant, which is the kind of thing which I think has a better place in an add-on, not mainstream Terrafirma craft.

If you play on your own, and are just concerned about aesthetics, you can use MCEdit to change the texture of a chiseled block to that of leaves, and another to the log of your choice, and chisel away.

yeah, why are flowers pots deleted from TFC? They were cool no?  :huh:

idk, I really want flower pots... when I've cheated them in in the past, they corrupted the world

Bamboo-plannedEbony-planned

Much wow. Such happy. Very thanks. So overwhelmed. I might explode. Ebony as a rare wood sounds perfect. Also there is a tree that produces a pale blue wood, I'm serious, can't think of the name may google it later. That would be another great rare bragging rights wood. And it's already been mentioned how amazing bamboo is. Bamboo groves are unreal pretty and bamboo has a lot of uses. Did I mention I love you and Bioxx, Dunk? So much man love. So wow.