Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
mdtexeira

Grass rope

13 posts in this topic

I'd love to see a mechanic for making grass into rope.  Perhaps by making it very expensive in terms of the number of grass units it used, or otherwise gimping it, you could keep jute as the better choice, but it would be nice for people who can't find jute, or having issues trying to grow jute (depending on how close to the equator they are), to still be able to make rope.  Also, weaving grass into rope is one of the things that pretty much any survival course will teach you.  Anyway...that's the full extent of the idea.

I heard Dunk (I believe) saying in a video that he likes stuff having more than 1 purpose for mod cohesivness, this would certainly fit in! the rope itself might actually need some more uses aswell, only reason I have it is to be able to ride horses and to move single animals ofcourse. With the gras though It would have to add some kind of drying and weaving production proces, aswell as use a lot of grass to balance it compared to jute.

Bile

Since this seems kinda similar to alternative salt production, I doubt Bioxx wants a rope alternative that trades scarcity for tedium. One of TFCs themes is that - unlike vanilla - you can't most of your resources in one place.

Grass skirts. We can talk about rope later.

Priorities.

Priorities.

Hear Hear!

Priorities.

Hear Hear!

Guess that means we'll need coconut trees for coconut bras. Can't dance the Hula without those coconut bras, you know  ^_^

Guess that means we'll need coconut trees for coconut bras. Can't dance the Hula without those coconut bras, you know  ^_^

Oh god please make this an aesthetic chestplate armor

I second that!

I second that!

Well that took on a life of its own!  :unsure:

yes it did.

But really, TFC needs some more aesthetics.

That aside, I don't like the sound of grass ropes, but I want to string rope across two fence posts, than hang lanterns on the rope

To be fair, it takes a lot of grass to make a durable rope.  You have to braid grass into very thin cord, then braid several of those chords into a thin rope, then braid several of those into a thicker rope.  To make 6 feet of durable grass rope would probably take me a few days and a lot of tall grass.  Obviously, the taller the grass, the easier the job.  

Allen...grass rope doesn't make much sound.  I'm sure you'd find it unobtrusive.  ;)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Great-Cordage-Out-Of-Grass/

I'd love it if there was a skill associated with working with grass for thatch making and rope making too.  That way, you might actually fail and lose the ingredients when your skill is low.  Another way to keep it from being overpowered.  Working with whatever natural fibers are around is an important survival skill.  Nettle is great for making cordage precisely because it has very long contiguous fibers.  You do have to be careful when stripping it though.