Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eskamoe_II

More Complex Armor Creation

15 posts in this topic

Just looked on the change log and saw that armor crafting was added (a much anticipated release, especially from the cows) and checked out the plans section on the wiki to see how it was made.

If you've not seen yet its just a simple plan for each piece. This seems terribly easy for armor and given that this is tfc, terribly easy is bad. But I digress.

What if instead of simply making a single plan per piece of armor; armor required multiple componets.

Take a metal helmet, could not its construction require first a leather inlay (simply a leather helmet) combined with an anvil crafted helmet piece. Or metal leggings requiring 3 pieces, a left legging, right legging, and waist section each crafted individually and then combined in the crafting bench to create the single piece of armor.

These examples are just quick 30 second ideas and might be quite terrible (rather leaning towards that actually) but the basic idea has a lot of promise.

i like where you are going with this

I would like to ask you if you have even tried armor making yet?

1) a double ingot to work into a sheet of metal.

2) weld 2 sheets of metal into a 2x sheet.

3) plans and a 2x sheet to make a stage 1 chestplate.

4) stage 1 chest plate and a 2x sheet to make a stage 2 chestplate

5) work on the stage 2 chestplate to get finished product

Those instructions might seem short but if I heard correctly you also have to keep these things heated up like everything else in the process.

I have attempted on pre 14 but cannie get the hits and such to show up (or to go past the stage 1 type (bug?).

But frankly with chests preserving heat as they do, keeping large amounts of material heated is no problem, and creating the sheets is cake. It just seems as opposed to neat, complex systems that would be different for different pieces of armor; its the same thing just done over 2-3 times.

But to be frank, I was looking through some suggestion topic posts and found one that better states the direction I was thinking towards;

http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/559-basic-protectionarmor/

You are a talented necromancer indeed... Where did you learn such powerful dark sorcery ?

Probably will happen. Armour was so expensive in the middle ages that it would have cost you the same relative amount as a private jet today. The skill required to craft good armour was ungodly.

Probably will happen. Armour was so expensive in the middle ages that it would have cost you the same relative amount as a private jet today. The skill required to craft good armour was ungodly.

Given that armor is pretty much massively OP at this point, I can definitely see the materials and experience required to make armor going up.

Also, I'm not 100% that this isn't already in the game, but can 'damage' from improper forging of the different stages stack?

Also, I'd like to see armor rating tied to remaining durability, if that's possible. That way making shitty armor has a more tangible consequence than just it breaking sooner

And if we are gonna make really good armor the equivalent of a private jet, I DEFINITELY want to see some sort of repair mechanic - possibly just as difficult, but much less resource intensive.

After all, if I spend an entire RL day and all of my metal on a single item set, I am not gonna want to (slash, be able to) have to remake that shit all over again

Given that armor is pretty much massively OP at this point, I can definitely see the materials and experience required to make armor going up.

Also, I'm not 100% that this isn't already in the game, but can 'damage' from improper forging of the different stages stack?

Also, I'd like to see armor rating tied to remaining durability, if that's possible. That way making shitty armor has a more tangible consequence than just it breaking sooner

And if we are gonna make really good armor the equivalent of a private jet, I DEFINITELY want to see some sort of repair mechanic - possibly just as difficult, but much less resource intensive.

After all, if I spend an entire RL day and all of my metal on a single item set, I am not gonna want to (slash, be able to) have to remake that shit all over again

plate armour will be nearly impervious to most damage types. (try seeing attacking a metal pot with a kitchen knife and see how much damage it does). Crush damage will be the only attack type that will have any noticeable affect to your armour's damage.

plate armour will be nearly impervious to most damage types. (try seeing attacking a metal pot with a kitchen knife and see how much damage it does). Crush damage will be the only attack type that will have any noticeable affect to your armour's damage.

Why does this seem backwards to me? Metal armor was curved to absorb blows from both blunt and slashing weapons (Lots of force but over a wide area) but it was weak to piercing (lots of force but focused area of effect).. Also, your metal pot is about 2-3 times thicker than plate armor.

Why does this seem backwards to me? Metal armor was curved to absorb blows from both blunt and slashing weapons (Lots of force but over a wide area) but it was weak to piercing (lots of force but focused area of effect).. Also, your metal pot is about 2-3 times thicker than plate armor.

Historical plate armor?

Yup

TFC plate armor? Screw the rules, I have blue steel

Posted Image

sshhhhh. Stop making me look stupid in front of people who can't tell I'm talking out my ass.

Crushing damage?

*evil grin*

Nobody uses swords anyway. Maces have become the weapon of choice for hipsters.

Yes, but the mace is a better option for penetrating plate armour than the sword is. Seeing as we have a choice between the two right now I would pick the mace to defeat any plate the user may be wearing. Managing to pierce plate with a sword is something of an achievement in a combat situation as you really have to get a solid two handed lunging thrust.

If we're talking about piercing weapons which are better against armour than blunt weapons you're looking at war picks, bec-de-corbin, couched lances and arrows/crossbow bolts at closer ranges if the armour isn't awesome.

Basically, Dunk has made the most appropriate system considering what is available. Not all types of piercing damage are as effective against armour. Spears have a tendency to glance off as they don't have the weight behind them to push through. Blunt weapons are consistently effective against plate because they don't need to penetrate the armour to do damage, so even if your helmet doesn't break it will still bend and (if not kill you) make your life something of a misery :P

Wait... In TFC are maces any different from swords?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0